Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How long before a car can be classed abandoned?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

There has been an old pickup parked outside my flat for nearly 6 months and never moved. It has been parked pretty badly as they had a 4ft gap in front of it which is blocks another parking space.

The car has a valid tax disc but is there any legal limit a car can be parked somewhere?

toys19
    Free Member

if its road legal then as far as I know, no limit.

Some bastard parked their effing massive camper outside my house for 3 months a few years ago, I had to use some underhand tactics to get it moved.. 8)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Not sure, but valid tax disc presumably means no issues for Police/council, I think. To get a tax disc it would also likely be properly insured and MOT’d.

project
    Free Member

start a barberque in the back of the pickup, that should get it moved.

Woody
    Free Member

As above re legality but worth making enquiries. Depends if you just want it moved but for info, a friend of mine checked and found there was no registered keeper of a car which had been parked on his road for ages and after a few months became the proud owner of a rather nice XJ6!

nealglover
    Free Member

It would be worth a call to the local police.
    It may have been stolen and dumped, if nobody reports it, nobody knows where it is.

A few years back, It took 2 months before my car was recovered after a breakin at home. It was abandoned 6 miles from where it was stolen.

It was left, legally parked, in a residential area. There was no damage and the keys were in the glovebox.

coffeeking
    Free Member

My other half got a call from the police after leaving it 50 yards from our flat for a week! Neighbours who reported it got told by police it was my SO’s and they came round rather sheepishly and apologetically!

Harry_the_Spider

We had one shifted from outside our house after a couple of weeks. We phoned the police and told them that it was becomming a bit of a tourist arrtraction for the local scrotes and within a couple of days it had gone.

bigyinn
    Free Member

As long as the vehicle is taxed, insured and MOT’d theres not much you can do.
    My asshole ex-neighbour had a volvo parked in front of our house for over a year just to spite me. Nothing I could do. He used it once a month to got to the tip with and that was it. He’d wait until we went out and then move it, put another car in its place and then do the opposite when he got back.
    Vile man.

Flaperon

Is it insured, though? Stick the numberplate into Ask MID.

konabunny
    Free Member

In E&W, councils can remove abandoned cars even if they are taxed. Or, to put it another way, just because it’s taxed, it doesn’t mean that it’s not abandoned and can’t be taken away by the council. s3 of Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1978/3

How councils act in practice is up to them – St Albans usually wants the vehicle to be left there for 21 days for example: http://www.stalbans.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/abandoned-vehicles/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How long before a car can be classed abandoned?’ is closed to new replies.