Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • How is work at the moment?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I work for a well-known insurance company. It’s mental. Everyone’s f*cked. Just knackered and stressed. Lots of politics and fighting at the top.
    Is everyone’s work stressy at the moment or is it just us?
    I’m going to start riding in so I can get a few minutes peace before and after work…

Olly
    Free Member

gash.
    my boss has been having a hissy fit as i dont seem to feel the need to work for free, when the work i do for free gets un noticed.

Stuey01
    Free Member

It’s not just you.

I ride to work most days, is great, by the time I’m home I’m pretty stress free.

EDIT: to be honest I quite l like my job at the moment.

samuri
    Free Member

I seem to be working 11-12 hour days again.

loddrik
    Free Member

It isn’t, there is no work, not for me anyway.. 🙁

sharki
    Free Member

all good here

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’m a boss, I’m working 12 hour days and employees going home ‘on time’ or on sick. I’m not seeing much of my kids and exhausted.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Work bad
    Short term contract
    Hours squeezed
    Team culled but work expected to stay same
    Everyone paranoid
    Bugger all else around in East Anglia if we get canned which we expect to this year
    GF public sector and says similar but should be a bit safer for us as a family

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s ace! Am being challenged, am having fun, am booking flights to China tomorrow!

Sorry to be a little smug!

mrmo
    Free Member

work is ok, admittedly only a 3month contract and the employer is relocating in a few months with most of the staff being made redundant. I don’t think they realise what is happening. And lots of free chocolate 🙂

And before anyone says i am talking crap, i went through the process last year and there are distinct phases, you know it is happening but you can ignore, then someone goes on maternity or through a first wave and you think it is really happening.

rob2
    Free Member

My boss is a c@@t

Just manages upwards to the CEO and doesn’t give a **** about his dept. But he talks posh !

Has no idea what our dept should do and the only reason it’s afloat is because people just get on doing stuff regardless. Quite depressing as he’ll just f@@k off to another job in two years and leave a load of mess behind him

And relax … !

Taff
    Free Member

Work for an architects practice in Portsmouth working predominantly in te social housing sector. Had a quite few months either side of Christmas but it’s gone hectic again for me. Doing about 8-9 hour days in the office and emailing from home. I do find it’s either deadly quiet or flat out but I’m glad it’s the latter

heresjonny
    Free Member

After being made redundant last april, I have retrained as a swimming teacher, mostly self employed. Its hard work compared to other job I had. But more challenging and fun, and Fingers crossed got lots of work at the moment, especially doing 1-1 lessons at a private health and country club, with free membership which is nice. Golf anyone…

Big-Pete
    Free Member

I jumped off the stress train 3 years ago. Went from a 6 fig salary to self employment cleaning windows.
    Never been happier, now working a 4 day week.
    Downsized the house from a 4 to 3 bed. Best part is we are no worse off now after saving on the house and massive tax savings. Its a big step but working for yourself can be a boon to life.

anotherstan
    Free Member

literally this week i’ve changed from 13hr shifts, 200 miles from home to a 40hr a week, 5yr contract on my doorstep for a minimal reduction in money.

so, work is great at the moment thankyou 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

I work for a local authority. We’re in the process of restructuring which basically means months of consultation where they tell us nothing and keep us hanging on far longer than is needed. We’ve just relocated and are finding out that the new building is all about image and nothing to do with getting the job done and to top it off, there’s local elections soon so ever idle politician who has been asleep for the last five year is running around promising everyone the mood on a stick in the hope of being re-elected and expecting me to deliver on those pipe dream promises.

No, work isn’t going well.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Never been busier.. Telecoms is booming, and we are mad busy with the upgrade project for O2..

Bear
    Free Member

Self Emnployed plumbing and heating and likewise to a lot on here, never been busier than am at moment. And not with small projects either, some really nice things that if all come off I have enough work for probably the summer……..

How to keep them all happy?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

My line of work is fubar. Costs going through the roof and competition driving prices and margins down. Mainly due to the collapse of Sterling I guess.

I’m now looking at going back to localised IT. Or plumbing. Something local that cant be outsourced I guess.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Been shite for the last two years. Gone from job I actually enjoyed going to into a paranoid, backstabbing, foul place to be.

Partly corporate culture changing and party a change of line manager.

Only the money keeps me here now.

Northwind

Was laid off on new year’s eve. Being unemployed, so far, is ****ing brilliant. I think the novelty might wear off once the money runs out though.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Right now?

Tedious argument with a heroin enthusiast.

He seems to think that it’s a terrible affront to his human rights to request that he take a drug test.

This in spite of the fact that he has been a heroin enthusiast for well over two decades, was imprisoned for offences directly related to the funding of his enthusiasm for heroin and signed a whole series of forms in which he agreed to be tested for heroin (whether taken enthusiastically or otherwise) in return for his early release from prison on Licence.

He also freely admits to taking heroin frequently and enthusiastically.

During the course of the conversation Godwin’s Law was invoked at a very early stage, ‘You’re worse than the SS!’ (conversely, I believe that their stance on heroin enthusiasts was rather more severe than mine).

FML.

meesterbond

I work for a less well-known insurance company. It’s mental. Everyone’s f*cked. Just knackered and stressed. Lots of politics and fighting at the top.

Seriously thinking of jacking it in and going contracting for 6 months.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Same old cr@p but I seem to be getting the feeling that management are beginning to realise that they’ve gone too far with some of the Health and Safety and PC stuff (probably just wishful thinking though).

flip
    Free Member

I’m self employed, is ok having a couple of days off to start my new patio deck, pics soon..

Trimix
    Free Member

My job is great, I got a 6k bike on the C2W scheme that I run 🙂

Work is busy, we have just employed 4 more staff and will be opening an office in Germany soon. I will also have to fly out to our India office later in the year. I went last year, but got stuck in Bahrain for a week because of the Volcanoe – I used to walk past Pearl monument every day where the protest now is.

But having been unemployed for a year prior to getting this job, I now always feel paranoid of loosing it. It does make me appreciate when its good though, having had shite jobs or no job before.

For all you guys not working, make sure you ride your bike loads. When I was unemployed I should have done more riding instead of wasting time looking at my PC for jobs that were not there.

ton

quiet
    but i like that, as i can spend my day on here talking boollox 😆

spooky_b329

Ticking along. Under the thumb now with GPS trackers on the vans, individual performance monitoring, removal of flex and being tied to a laptop during the day as we are not allowed paperwork. (even Toughbooks don’t really like going down muddy manholes)

But I’m not been hassled too much, the work is steady and I get on with my colleagues, would be nice to get a bit more OT though. Plus I am being sent for my C+E license in a few weeks which will be a nice week playing in a truck 🙂 Only problem is I like the work which means I don’t really have any incentive to progress to management, which I’m sure will bring stress along with the slightly bigger pay packet, and I would be expected to work as many hours as needed without OT. But staying where I am means a distinctly average pay packet, and most guys that have been on longer than me feel they are ‘stuck in the job’.

bullheart
    Free Member

Shit.

Mr Gove has abolished all the School Sports Partnerships, meaning I’ll heave no job from September. And not many schools have an interest in employing a PE Teacher with incurable cancer. Apparently.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My boss is a bit of a nob but the directors are great and so are the other office guys. The factory staff can be lazy feckers and very annoying.

FuzzyWuzzy

Can’t complain, just had a couple of big projects successfully go live (so far anyway…) so just taking a breather and doing internal projects at the moment.

lunge

Really, really busy. Working 11 hour days, my boss would like me to work more, not seem my company busier. I’m stressed, tired and need a break.

IT and coms recruitment is clearly not for those who are stress averse.

mrchrispy

IT for a manc basesd public sector law enforcement based service.
    lots of pointless restructuring going on with no eye on what we actually do so the wheels are most deffinatly going to fall off the wagon very soon. senior management are ineffective and a the staff that avoided the redundancies are either keeping their heads down or (if they have the skills) they are getting the he’ll out.
    my notice goes in next week \o/

oldgit
    Free Member

Better, starting to get back everything I lost in 2009/10. I’ve re structured, so making more money on a lower turnover.
    I’ve got one guaranteed huge job come summer, possibly two.
    Just got the final few K of 2009/10 debt to clear this month and then I’ll be rocking.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Utter crap, help run a small but profitable family manufacturing business, always paid our bills and kept local lads in work. Never shafted a supplier, the revenue or the VAT and never let our bank down.
    But at the beginning of this year our business account manager came and told us about an unfortunate new bank directive, to slash overdraft and financing facility to small business in certain sectors, therefore at our quietest time of year when productivity and turnover are lowest and subsequently outgoings are highest, they decided to cut the overdraft facility we have by 2/3, so we now have to run on 30% of the available cash available proportionally that we have had for the past 25 years. Every day is a lesson in survival, and its far from over yet. Crazy thing is our order book is fuller than its ever been, sales are up and the income stream is pretty much guaranteed, yet we still have to let staff go and let down suppliers putting them under pressure, for the first time in a quarter of a century !!! Thanks Natwest !

backhander
    Free Member

Pretty good here. Working on a project for a privately owned island in the carribean which has involved a visit and may require another. Great client with the possibility of additional work.
    I did dream about cost breakdowns last night though.

whytetrash

Great…3 days into new job…gotta price up the tools to kit up a bike workshop today….was gonna get cocky but hughjenjin above is a mate and am worried about him 😥

Marmoset
    Free Member

Oooh, that’s bad backhander, worst work related dream I had involved an office full of unprocessed quarry tickets!

My job is pretty boring, working towards earning my clients their bonus, whilst not getting one myself – my own company is using confusionto keep us all on edge. Oz beckons though, might be on the move later this year…..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Sorry to be a little smug!

No change there then.

I work for a well-known insurance company. It’s mental. Everyone’s f*cked. Just knackered and stressed. Lots of politics and fighting at the top.

You work for AXA then?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Hard to say – it’s pretty quiet at the moment for us, which is almost nice… but there is a load of stress (for me) with United Utilities possibly taking over a lot of our work in 5 years. Work with my Dad but he is past retirement age so can always start drawing his pension.

I am currently retraining as an electrician “just incase”. If things don’t go tits up it will be useful as I can do a lot of work that is currently contracted out and save time and money/boost profitability. If it does turn it’s toes up I have another marketable skill (by then it will be 11 years mechanical/electrical engineering/electricianing and an MSc in Environmental Architecture – so I should be able to go pretty much anywhere I want to hunt for work)

At the moment it just seems a good idea to use the quiet time at work to get more qualifications (back when I worked in IT I did the same and knocked off an MSc in IT which I then never used as I went for the career change option… I suspect the two may have been related).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘How is work at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.