• This topic has 58 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Pyro.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • How is the running going?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I was reading through some running threads this week – there have been a few in the last 6 months. Just wondered how people were getting on with it, particularly any new runners?
    I’ve started again recently. I used to run quite a lot, but that was over 8 yrs ago, so I am starting from scratch on that Couch25k thing. Took a punt on some of those pseudo barefoot trainers too (VivoBarefoot Neo), and am so far pleasantly impressed with them, although I feel like my legs are whirling along like Taz!

So, cautiously optimistic, but it’s early days. How are folk doing at sticking with it once the novelty wears off?

alfabus
    Free Member

I’m 5 weeks into a ‘couch to 5k’ programme. The running is getting easier, but my left ankle hurts.

I think the problem is that my feet overpronate, which my running shoes correct, but my ankles aren’t used to my feet being in the ‘right’ position.

Motivation wise, I tend to not want to bother, but my wife is doing it at the same time, so she nags me to get out and run. This is a good thing 🙂

Dave

edit: The reason I started running was to cross train my legs, as I was getting knee pain when riding. So far its been a resounding success; after about 2 weeks of running, my knee pain stopped and hasn’t come back!

emsz
    Free Member

Running has sort of taken over from cycling (chameleon’s gathering dust in the corner) thanks to iDave my 10k times are tumbling, running at a pace I NEVER thought I’d manage. Regularly do under 41 mins for a circuit that used to be 45-46 and stuck there for ages.

never tried barefoot, see a bloke round here that wears them…Overtake him all the time (hee hee)

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been doing ok. My gait is coming along nicely. Finally getting used to actually running along at a reasonable pace, now to up the speed and distance.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I will run a sub 5 min mile, possibly not until next year, but I will do it!

MrGrim

I’ve been gradually building it up. Finding it difficult running regularly as I find by day three my legs are pretty shot. Ran just over 7 miles in 1 hour exactly on Tuesday night and incorporated the fartlek (sp?) methods as well.

I’m trying to reduce alcohol and coffee intake. I’m finding that has a major impact on the energy I have. I’ve cut caffeine completely at the moment and did notice withdrawal symptoms for the first couple of days but I’m fine now and not missing it. I’ve stopped drinking during the week I’m not a big drinker anyway, but feel sluggish the next day after just one bottle of beer. I picked up some of the Becks alcohol free beer last week which doesn’t taste great but it seems to be the best of the alcohol free beers IMO.

Next goal is a half marathon.

iDave
    Free Member

Nice going emsz, maybe it’s time to update your plan?

I run three times a week, short intervals, long intervals and a long trail run, and I still hate running. Sort of.

phil.w
    Free Member

hows the training going for that TSY? we were doing some sets the other night that would be good training. 5x1000m with 2 min rest, lapping in 78/80sec.

a bit like emsz running has taken over a bit. probably because i enjoy the racing side of it, which i dont with mtb as every ride became training rather than fun.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve been conserving my knees for the a riding event at the end of the month, so not done any running.

Counter intuitively it sounds like running might actually help.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I can live with it being slower, if that turns out to be the case, if the lack of jolting helps my substandard knees and back cope with the weight going through them.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m just wondering what target I should set myself for the annual 5 mile run in November. I aimed for 40 mins last year and got 42’33.. should be able to do way better this year. Maybe 37’30 should be my goal, that’s 5 7’30 miles.

Jamie
    Free Member

I am about to enter the Percy Pud, things I will do for a free Xmas pudding, so I guess I should start running a bit.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Annual 5 mile run… hmmm… I’ll have a months worth of training time to compete…

molgrips
    Free Member

You won’t be entering it Yeti, it’s in the States 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ahh balls. I’ll find a super flat route in Oxfordshire then 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok.. you can heckle me via endomondo if you stay up late enough.

neil853
    Free Member

I started running four or five months ago now as a way of filling time in during the week. Never ran before, always been overweight and found it extremely hard. But through increasing the duration of the run steadily I’ve now got to a stage where I run four to five times a week of which I run 10k three times! I never thought i’d be doing this. But now I enjoy it, the job has been quite stressful recently and running has been a great way of dealing with it. My time for 10k is now 42:02 which I was pretty pleased with. It will never replace weekend mountain biking but its been a great way to loose weight.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

if you stay up late enough

*puts coffee on*

Again, nice one for coming over to the Twrch yesterday. I undid all the good exercise by not getting back until almost 10pm and stopping at the chippy for tea 😀

kevin1911

Not so well for me – on my 3rd session of walk/run/walk in April, I totally spannered my left knee. Turns out it was patellar tendinitis, and is only just now starting to get better. Not quite sure when I should start trying to run again.

highclimber
    Free Member

I went for a run yesterday after a month hiatus – over did it, now have a groin strain!

iDave
    Free Member

TSY, Cwm Carn in a couple of weeks? Midweek cheekyness? Avec le Molgrips.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Out running twice a week getting ready for annual pain festival Dalbeattie hardrock challange 10 mile run then ride the Dalbeattie seven stanes trail
    There are still spaces if anyone fancies a go ,run then bike then drink beer

noshki

Have been finding the last few weeks difficult to find running time, as kids are on holidays and free time seems to consist of theme parks and generally keeping them entertained. Still only a couple of weeks to go and the dog and I can return to our running. Was running four times a week about 50k total, this has slipped to averaging about 20k and yes continuing to use and live in my Merrel barefoots. Riding the bike has suffered too and fitness has slipped back quite a bit…summer beers and BBQs.

thegreatape
    Free Member

That sort of thing it what I’m trying to avoid. Can be tricky not to overdo it when you feel fine at the time.

How much have you lost Neil?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Edited due to regular posters just finding my weight problems so bloody funny 🙁

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

iDave, Monsieur Grips was dispairing at my fondness of trail centres 😀

What week are you thinking? I’m pretty busy until the 19th…

Jamie
    Free Member

I find my belly wobbling about too much is making the running very uncomfortable. And a bit embarrassing. Thinking of investing in a treadmill tbh.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agnmysB-2Gc[/video]

😐

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve lost just shy of two stone. But this has gone hand in hand with a diest change of avoiding eating so much pasta and bread. I still eat them but only once or twice a week (instead of five or six like it was before).

I didn’t jump into running the distance or the amount i’m running now. I started off running three times a week fior 10 minutes, because that’s all I could physically do.

It’s got to the stage now where I feel odd if I don’t get out for a run, anybody think thats a bit weird/sad?

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s got to the stage now where I feel odd if I don’t get out for a run, anybody think thats a bit weird/sad?

Not at all. I have no doubt if I could not run/cycle, I would go bat shit insane in a surprisingly short amount of time.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah, you’re a freak! 😀

Why anyone would feel a compulsion to exercise I don’t know.

(Jamie – I’ll save you the bother… 😐 )

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Running has sort of taken over from cycling (chameleon’s gathering dust in the corner) thanks to iDave my 10k times are tumbling, running at a pace I NEVER thought I’d manage. Regularly do under 41 mins for a circuit that used to be 45-46 and stuck there for ages. “

Oh oh … sounds like me, I’m about 44 mins at the moment.

How does iDave get it down ??

And Yeti that sounds like a great goal a mile in 5mins. I did, a not too hard, 6min mile earlier in the week. Guess that is a big minutes difference though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh TSY….where did it all go wrong? 😥

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jamie – I miss you when you’re not here, but when you come back you’re so horrible 🙁

I mean take your abuse of poor Darcy…

staralfur
    Free Member

Been doing some running myself for an 8 mile beach/xc country run in october, combined with paleo style eating the fat is melting off me.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I developed ‘runners knee’ after the Edinburgh marathon in May, so my first run since the middle of June was Tuesday night on the treadmill.

I ran for 3 x 1 minute with 1 minute walks in between and it was one of the best runs I have ever done, mainly because it was completely pain free.

Next step tonight 10 minutes of the same, London in April here I come.

Matt

16stonepig
    Free Member

It’s going ok, although my distance hasn’t really progressed. I’m much more comfortable with the whole sensation of running though – I seem to have found a nice rhythm (when I’m not doing intervals).

PReviously had said that I just wanted to get round my October 10k in an hour, but I’ve decided that’s a feeble goal to aim for, and am now aiming for 50 minutes. Did 7km in 38 the other day, so with some more work I should get there. Assuming my old hip injury stops playing up…

jam-bo

crap. turned my ankle about three weeks ago and its still sore.

djglover
    Free Member

I’ve been running barefoot on the fells, but I don’t believe in it for road running. You need some cusioning and I need some support, which the uneven surface on the fells I don’t need. Done some superb runs in the dales and lakes over summer including 3 fell races.

Focusing on road running and riding now for a 10K and the London Duathlon

I’ve got up to 45 miles per week, aiming for a 36/7 min 10k a week on sunday. current pb is 38:39

molgrips
    Free Member

Midweek cheekyness? Avec le Molgrips.

Better hurry up cos I might have a job by then 🙂

harrymunro
    Free Member

I hope you are all running all mountain.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘How is the running going?’ is closed to new replies.