Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How interchangeable are crown races?
  • wordnumb
    Free Member

Will two crown races from the same manufacturer be interchangeable, assuming they’re from the same type of headset, same size etc?

It’s an old Ritchey headset and I want to make swapping between rigid and suspension forks a little less like hard work. Ta.

njee20
    Free Member

If it’s the same model of headset yes.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Same model yes, with ball bearings, worn and new maybe not.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Hmmm, given the headset is 20 years old I doubt it’ll be the exact same model, but the design of the most basic headset looks the same.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve used crown races from different headsets, not even of the same brand before now.

But it was on a bike that didn’t get much abuse (my other half rode it).

If the two crown races look similar dimensionally, and you can adjust it ok, I’d be tempted to go for it.

andyl
    Free Member

Needs to have the same diameter and the same inner angle on the bearing (if cartridge).

If loose ball then fit new balls or it will feel nasty (probably still will anyway).

The inner angle should be on the cartridge bearings but 20 years old I suspect is loose ones?

Another option if you have cartridge bearings is fit a split crown race so it is easier to swap and one more concern is any seals like on the bottom of Hope crown races that may not be compatible with other makes.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Thanks, only just saw the last two replies. As the ‘other’ forks are rigids and basically for mildly off-road commuting I reckon I’ll just buy a race from the same manufacturer and see what happens. What could possibly go wrong?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How interchangeable are crown races?’ is closed to new replies.