Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • How important is the thread pitch of a bolt?
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

So no actual data to suggest torts are any better then?

johnnystorm

Other than the very fact someone sat down to invent them and give them a name that suggested a particular trait? 😉

Have a look at the wiki page and the references at the bottom, patent applications, etc.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just in passing….

You can avoid many issues to do with disassembly if you use anti-sieze compound on the threads of the bolts as you put them in. NB, this is not the same thing as grease, which will lead you to over tension the bolt (and PTFE grease is the worst).

Happy wrenching.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Or the application of the correct strength bolt retainer liquid. (Loctite)

fourbanger
    Free Member

Other than the very fact someone sat down to invent them and give them a name that suggested a particular trait?
    Have a look at the wiki page and the references at the bottom, patent applications, etc.

No real world independent figures that I could see.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You probably aren’t looking hard enough. And it’s torx. Not torts or torqs.
    Always helps if you look for the right thing.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Autocorrect. Feel free to point me in the right direction.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Are there any high torque applications for torx?

joshvegas
    Free Member

[Quote]fourbanger – Member
    Are there any high torque applications for torx?
    POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST[/quote]

Removing seized and subsequently shredded hex bolts.

I thought everyone knew that?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Torx is standard on Magura… but usually <15Nm IIRC….

benji
    Free Member

Why not chuck ribe in the pot as well, very underused.

somafunk

I’m late to this thread but after reading this

Gxp cranks, one bolt, do it tight forget and ride.

If my bladder wasn’t empty I’d have pissed myself at that.

And the only time I have had to use a Torx key battered into a hex bolt to aid removal is when a cack handed wannabe home mechanic has used his free ikea home furniture Allen keys to attempt work on their bike.

Superficial
    Free Member

Without wanting to diss the OP’s mechanical skills, why on earth is he attempting to replace a perfectly good bolt when he doesn’t really understand how bolts work? Just use decent allen keys on the bolts you’ve got!

There are so many pitfalls in doing this for a minor (and debatable!) benefit. Unless you’re mechanically very competent and know exactly what you’re doing it is not worth it! Wrong length, wrong pitch, wrong chamfer, wrong head diameter etc etc.

cRaNkEnStEin
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a best value set of “decent” allen keys (and torx keys for that matter) for mtb use?

dgb1
    Free Member

Bondhus brand for hex keys for the toolbox, I’m not sure about their torx keys though so I’d recommend Wiha torx keys. Very good quality and not too expensive if you look in the right places.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got Bondhus T Allen keys and a Bondhus ‘Gorilla Grip’ multitool in both torx and (metric) hex versions.

A slight annoyance is that the T handle ones don’t have an allen key on the short end of the tool like most (E.g. Park) do, which is annoying in some circumstances. The smaller keys (2.5, 3mm) can be quite torsionally flexy, and you can’t always get a long tool into every bolt. For that reason I probably wouldn’t buy them again. Mine also aren’t ball ended, although it looks like the newer ones are, which would help.

But as far as quality and cut of the tools they’re great. The multitool ones seem to be the same excellent quality, too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bondhus-Gorilla-Grip-Folding-1-5-6mm/dp/B0006O4AG0
    and
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bondhus-8pc-Torx-Folding-Gorillagrip/dp/B000E7ZLHQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1461934762&sr=1-1&keywords=bondhus++gorilla+grip+torx

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘How important is the thread pitch of a bolt?’ is closed to new replies.