Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • How I remember Morzine/Les Gets…
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

If anyone has some wet screams near Les Gets you will probably make a killinghttp://www.pinkbike.com/news/crankworx-les-gets-downhill-track-preview.html

carlphillips
    Free Member

wet screams and full waterproof boiler suit packed and ready to go…
    hoping it’ll be a tad dryer by July!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It looks like the old turns at the end of the Mt Cherry track are in this new one, proper blast from the past and a lesson in Froggy Course marking,
    We Tape
    We drag la brake
    We race

jambalaya
    Free Member

Brenden Fairclough has some hysterical videos on his facebook page

BoardinBob

Ah, the old French approach to trail building. Let’s scrape an inch of top soil off and voila, new trail!

dragon
    Free Member

Crankworx is advertised as live on the Bike channel today, if you have Sky.

JackHammer

Live on Pinkbike too! 1pm Sunday!

jimbobo
    Free Member

had an awful 2 weeks there in 2007… so much mud. My DH riding didn’t come on much, but I got super confident with mud and chilled around falling off!

momo

I’ll be there a week tomorrow, currently have supergravity Hans Dampfs mounted, I have got a pair of wet screams in the garage but only 2.35 single ply ones, not sure if I should take them with me.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Are there any websites that show current trail conditions in the morzine/les gets area?

Going at the start of July, but may have to go somewhere else if it’s a washout all week.

BoardinBob

Are there any websites that show current trail conditions in the morzine/les gets area?

Going at the start of July, but may have to go somewhere else if it’s a washout all week.

I’m guessing you’ve never been before? I wouldn’t worry. A couple of days of sunshine will have it all dry again. If not, your mud riding will improve 1000%, plus the PDS is a massive area and if it’s raining in Morzine, head over towards Switzerland etc

legend
    Free Member

plus the PDS is a massive area and if it’s raining in Morzine, head over towards Switzerland etc

Brave, if it’s raining our rule was always “stay in the valley” as you don’t want to be in Switzerland when you hear a thunder clap (unless you drive round).

*inc Les Gets

momo – Member

I’ll be there a week tomorrow, currently have supergravity Hans Dampfs mounted, I have got a pair of wet screams in the garage but only 2.35 single ply ones, not sure if I should take them with me.

If driving over I’d always through mud tyres in regardless of the forecast. Would be investing in something a bit sturdier than the single plys though

SirHC

I’ll be there a week tomorrow, currently have supergravity Hans Dampfs mounted, I have got a pair of wet screams in the garage but only 2.35 single ply ones, not sure if I should take them with m

Depends if you stick to the main trails or adventure off on to the unmarked stuff.

Will be taking a pair of shorties mounted up on a spare set of wheels, to go with the Minion Dual ply’s which will go on the bike before I leave for the Mega.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I’m guessing you’ve never been before? I wouldn’t worry. A couple of days of sunshine will have it all dry again. If not, your mud riding will improve 1000%, plus the PDS is a massive area and if it’s raining in Morzine, head over towards Switzerland etc

Nope, first timer. We are travelling down and sleeping in small vans on campsites.
    The plan is to stay in les gets and ride around the area for a few days.
    I don’t mind mud too much, but since we are driving it would be nice to have a backup plan if the weather is bad.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If weather is bad for a day sack off the riding, the comedy falls look funny unless you smash head first into a tree. Also your kit gets so wet it doesn’t dry for the next hopefully dry day which is miserable, make note to yoirself to have a change of kit inc padded shorts if you can.

Comedy gold here as no one hurt 🙂

Brenden Fairclough – Facebook

BoardinBob

To be fair, they’re hitting the off piste stuff which is always a ‘mare in the wet.

Looks grippier on-piste albeit still muddy

Gettin' Sloppy at CX les Gets

It has been a wet and muddy one at Crankworx Les Gets so far. That’s not a bad thing, though! Vincent Tupin and Kristof Lenssens headed out for a few laps in the slop, and slop is what they got!

Posted by SCOTT Sports on Friday, June 17, 2016

Les Gets is always the worst in the mud in my experience. Black ice has more grip. Morzine tends to be better as it’s more in the trees and the trails are down to the bedrock in a lot of spots

nigew
    Free Member

boardinBob
    That video has just reminded me of one of the best days riding I have ever done!
    6 of us spent all day riding The Pleney black in pouring rain, the only others riding were 2 Spanish lads who had never ridden in proper Yorkshire type conditions 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

@boarding nice video 🙂 however I can’t ride that that in the dry !

I am not sure they meant to be off-piste its just once you’re on fhe grass / plants there is no way back – don’t let go of the bike as you’ll never climb back up especially in 510’s to get it

jemima
    Free Member

I reckon the footage of the race is going to be ace! Wish Same Hill was there.

It really is some of the greasiest mud in the world there isn’t it? I remember one hilarious day when we were just trying to transition to Chatel and even that was unridable in places. We were all hitting the deck in one corner and just sliding for miles shouting, “get out of the way, I’m going to hit you”…

P-Jay
    Free Member

jimbobo – Member

had an awful 2 weeks there in 2007… so much mud. My DH riding didn’t come on much, but I got super confident with mud and chilled around falling off!

Ours wasn’t too bad in 2007, it rained most days (as it always seems to do when I’m there) but it seemed to stop about 10am and the motorway trails were dry after lunch.

2008 took the biscuit – we arrived on a Sunday afternoon to a chalet full of red nosed riders on their way out, burnt to a crisp after 2 weeks of wall to wall sunshine – it hadn’t rained once whilst they were there (not that that was ideal as they were trying to ride rippled trails which seemed to want to tear muscle from bone at any speed), at 6pm it started raining, by 9pm it was so fierce that it came under the sash window in my room and soaked my bed so I had to move rooms and threw it down the entire time we were there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

get out of the way, I’m going to hit you”…

Been there done that including last year in Chamonix on some damp northshore/boardwalk where the chicken wire suddenly stopped 😯

momo

So, the question is, Wetscream or shorty, and if shorty, super tacky or 3c?

kiksy
    Free Member

If conditions stay as they are, I’d go Wetscream Super Tacky then cover it in super glue and velcro.

Then velcro all the roots.

legend
    Free Member

Wet Scream is the proper mud tyre. Shorty will be a bit better than a Minion, Wet Scream will have so much grip it feels a lot like cheating

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘How I remember Morzine/Les Gets…’ is closed to new replies.