Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • How I dry Five Tens relatively quickly
  • spaniardclimber
    Free Member

After reading in this forum that Five Tenstake ages to dry I thought I’d share how I do it, maybe its a common practice but I haven’t read it anywhere, so I thought I could share it.

After yesterday’s shower returning from work this is what I did.

1) Get one newspaper page, make a ball and put it in the shoe.
    2) Repeat until the shoe is full of newspaper balls.
    3) Wait about 30 min, remove balls, then repeat 1 and 2.
    4) Wait around 45-60 min, remove balls, then repeat 1 and 2.
    5) Leave them overnight, remove balls, ride.

With other shoes I don’t need to do 4, but Five Tens absorb a lot of water.

Hope this helps!

schmiken

Do the same thing but with disposable nappies. Super quick!

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Newspaper is free! Just pick them at the tube station.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Boot dryer. 13 quid from ebay.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Are they old school or “Elements” versions? The latter are quicker to dry (though still take a while).

Freerider also are quicker than Impacts. Less sponge in them.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I also stand them heel up so the water naturally runs to the open area rather than the toe area. Yes my shoes have gotten wet enough for the water to run in this way!!

legend
    Free Member

stevemuzzy – Member
    Boot dryer. 13 quid from ebay.

Got one last winter, oh so handy!

medoramas
    Free Member

Put them to the washing machine for a quick spin, then let them dry overnight.

johnnystorm

Initially stuff with old newspaper while you have a shower and tidy up. Then boot dryer. Don’t know about those flash harry rapha types up there spending £13 on eBay. Mine was £7 on amazon. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I was amazed to find out that lot sof people don’t know about the newspaper thing!

mattyfez

BBQ.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

@deadkenny They’re the freerider contacts

prettygreenparrot

Dampires if they’re still available. a bit faster and less labour than newspaper.

sam_underhill

Nappies +1

weeksy

I have 2 pairs. Easy

breadcrumb

Ghetto-

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Rinse them off with the bike when I get home, straight on top of the double rad in the kitchen. Dry in half an hour.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Initially stuff with old newspaper while you have a shower and tidy up

Whilst in the shower ?

How does Guy Martin dry his ? he never seems to take his off !

chiefgrooveguru

I was amazed to find out that lot sof people don’t know about the newspaper thing!

I was amazed to find anyone could reach adulthood without this knowledge – maybe that’s the benefits of a rural upbringing?

ton

top of the radiator.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shoving a few turned out nappies (unused) works well for me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

No newspaper any more. Local rags don’t do the freebie trash any more, so I’ve got nothing. Used to use the stuff for food bin liner also.

Other useful thing with newspaper is keeping frozen stuff still frozen in the fridge while defrosting the freezer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No mention of wood burning stove?

Bloody amateurs…..

CraigW
    Free Member

I recently got some of these: http://www.tioram.co.uk/
    They are basically silica gel inside fabric. Seem to dry quicker than with newspaper, and less faff.

belugabob
    Free Member

Insoles out, excess water tipped out, then or 4 of these 100g sachets in each boot/shoe.

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/7dayshop-silica-gel-moisture-absorbing-dehumidifier-sachets-packs-bags-100g-bag-10-pack-silica100gx10

Not as wasteful as nappies, no need to change newspaper several times, not a damaging as radiators/hair dryers and much cheaper than the item in the previous post.

hooli

On a shelf above the boiler as with all my wet sports gear, always dry and toasty by the next morning.

Caution is needed when opening the cupboard though, the smell has been known to knock a person backwards 😳

MadBillMcMad

always take the inner sole out first to dry them.

The sole will dry quick on it’s own & that way you get to the underneath to let that area dry properly.

I just use newspaper, might need a couple of changes.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Boot dryer from Clas Ohlsen, has a timer so I can leave it on in the shed.

PErfect every time.

If only I had a timer to turn it on in the morning I could have warm shoes too…

nickc

keep the 5:10 for summer and buy a pair of proper winter shoes?

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

@nickc Suggestions?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Oven at 250C should do it. 😉

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

Put them in footwell for drive home with fan heater on full, windows need to be down as it does get a bit whiffy

taxi25
    Free Member

Don’t put them in the microwave. I did this with a pair of taxi juniors toddler shoes, they came out newborn size !! I’ve no idea why I thought this was a good idea and 22yrs later Mrs taxi still brings it up 🙁

dogmatix

or just get yourself a set of these 😀

[url=https://flic.kr/p/P8VP1m]IMG_1428[/url] by olney_684, on Flickr

benp1

I have Teva Links, but when they’re wet they’re very wet

Last time I forded a stream in them they took days to dry out, even with newspaper.

I bought another pair when they discontinued them, will be swapping between them this winter

zacgillbanks
    Free Member

@dogmatix. What size are your 5 tens and What size overshoes did you get for them? I’m really interested in trying out some overshoes but the ones I’ve tried wouldn’t fit over my shoes. Also don’t the pins on your pedals catch and rip the bit of the overshoes that wraps around the sole?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Do you lot not get your 5:10s properly wet then? I do the newspaper thing and then leave them on the floor where there is underfloor heating. I’m lucky if they’re properly dry for the following weekend if they’ve had a proper soaking.

Might try nappies

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

@stilltortoise Do you change the newspaper 3 times? I got them completely soaked and they were dry the following day after using the method I posted.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I confess I didn’t count, but it was at least twice

dogmatix

My five tens are a size ten, and your right the right size overshoe didn’t fit. I tried an 11 and that didn’t fit, so I ended up with a 12 and that fits just fine. Still plenty tight. The inner arch/curve is spanned a tiny bit, but I sewed/pinned back the edges to expose more shoe so that has gone now. The tenn overshoes were great because they are dirt cheap and have like a double seam with a front toe cap that i cut off to expose more shoe. They are now open enough for my dmr v12’s. I have only been on one ride but cant see that they have been caught yet. I am pretty sure the pedal was only in contact with my shoe. I had the same amount of grip as usual. I am the first to admit it is an experiment. But i am quietly confident they will be ok. My foot was certainly dry after the first ride and i ploughed through some big puddles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘How I dry Five Tens relatively quickly’ is closed to new replies.