Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How heavily cut back my eucalyptus tree?
  • hicksville
    Free Member

Pretty much as the title says and when?

Thanks

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Don't know when, but lots I'd have thought. Had one at our old house, grew at a phenominal rate and had to come down when it started undermining the garage

bassspine
    Free Member

Be as brutal as you like you can't hurrt them, my neighbour cut his down to a bare stump 5feet tall, it took about a year to get to 20feet again.

white101

I have one in the back garden, and I've heard they grow to a max of 40ft. So I like to keep mine in check to around 15-18ft ( I don't have any higher ladders) We generally massacre most things in our garden around late Sept early Oct, but I'm not sure if thats the right time.

Check with that well known garden expert George Google or Google to his mates.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The only time I would avoid is spring time. Apart from that there are two times to do it. The right time and when you've got the time.

Nico
    Free Member

Cut it down and dig up the roots. Horrible things. Very deep roots.

timber

sap will be down come winter, so this will be the best time to attack, not much experience with them, but know they are pretty steady growers – not commercially viable yet, but worked with a lad who did a feasability study. From what he said I think it should coppice ok.

NZCol

Yep we cut ours back in the last 2 weeks. By cut i mean took to them annually with the small chainsaw. They grow like big f off weeds.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How heavily cut back my eucalyptus tree?’ is closed to new replies.