Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How hard is changing a spring on RS Forks?
  • Wiksey
    Free Member

How big a job is changing the spring on Rockshox forks?
    Been looking at Tora/Recon/Revs but standard sprind would probably be too light for a harderned pie-muncher like myself.

Cheers
    Wiksey

BoardinBob

Looking at doing the same myself and it appears to be straightforward.

Take the top cap off the leg, remove the spring and spacers, put the new spring and spacers in then replace the top cap???

grumm
    Free Member

There’s instructions somewhere on the sram site – sounds reasonably easy but I was still too scared. 😛

geoffj

Download manuals here

Wiksey
    Free Member

Cheers guys

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You need to half undo the bolt at the bottom of the leg, tap it with a hammer to release the spring, then remove the bolt as well
    🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member
    takisawa2

Its a doddle requiring the use of a mallet (or hammer & piece of wood), an allen key & a big socket. The big socket is because the top cap is alloy & a sloppy fitting spanner will chew it up easily.

retro83
    Free Member

Just make sure you keep the fork horizontal after taking the uturn cap, bearings etc out otherwise you’ll lose all the semibath oil out of the lowers! 🙂

Rockplough
    Free Member

I didn’t have a big enough socket so used an adjustable spanner which was fine. A magnetic screwdriver or similar comes in handy for catching the u-turn adjuster bearings. It’s an easy job really, even more so if you take the fork off your bike. And yes keep the thing horizontal! I got my spring from TFTuned and it came with a handy guide enclosed.

stuartkendall
    Free Member

I’m going to be doing this soon. What sort of weight/spring combinations are you guys at? I’m 12 st on a standard spring and find its too hard.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I’m about 13.5/14 stone and needed a firm spring.

retro83
    Free Member

I’m 13.5 and find the firm too soft (around 40% sag when standing) …

I think that there is probably a bit of variance between any two springs of the same weight tho.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How hard is changing a spring on RS Forks?’ is closed to new replies.