Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How hard can it be to make a chain guide?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Looking at fitting a chain guide to my Liteville (has one bolt hole on the frame, no ISCG’s) so my options are a normal low mount using one hole or adding an ISCG adapter on the bottom bracket.
    Looking at options for the S3 type mount they vary in price massively, some upto £100 for something that looks fairly simple to make.
    I like the look, and price, of the OneUp one but then came across this one:
    It’s a lot of money for what it is so got me thinking about making one.
    I’d probably do it similar but with an edge on the outside to help stop the chain from coming off.
    As far as I can tell most of these types of chain guide don’t ‘hold’ the chain, just prevent it moving high enough to come off the chain ring..
    Anything else I should be aware of?

stevied
    Free Member

So here’s my 1st attempt. Only 17g’s
    It’s only supposed to be a chain keeper to stop it coming off the chain ring.

bearnecessities

Arrrgghh! My Eye!

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

77designz do one that mounts off one hole.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

stevied, the Liteville’s take an e-type front mech (one bolt goes in the hole in the seattube; the other bolts to a backplate held by the BB cup)
    You could therefore mount an e-type top guide in conjunction with an e-type backplate.

stevied
    Free Member

the Liteville’s take an e-type front mech (one bolt goes in the hole in the seattube; the other bolts to a backplate held by the BB cup)
    You could therefore mount an e-type top guide in conjunction with an e-type backplate.

I think that’s what I’ll need to do. This one didn’t work that well as only one bolt allowed the guide to pivot a bit 🙁

I’ve got a Shimano e-type bracket so guess that would work? Looked at the Syntace adapter but that was EU30.

twisty

Ooh i could really do with something like this for rearspeeding but would like a guard either side of the chainring rather than just one on the outside. I like to use q-rings so trying to retain from the top does not really work.

One bolt mount should work but needs double washers on either side of the mount so it can be clamped in place without rotating, just like with v-brake pads.

stevied
    Free Member

One bolt mount should work but needs double washers on either side of the mount so it can be clamped in place without rotating, just like with v-brake pads.

Ooh, there’s a thought. Will give that a try…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve got a Shimano e-type bracket so guess that would work?

That’s what I’m planning to use

stevied
    Free Member

That’s what I’m planning to use

What guide are you planning on using?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member
    stevied
    Free Member

Ah, I was looking at that one. Can you let me know how you get on?

stevied
    Free Member

@Ecky, just tried the One-up chain guide with the normal front mech adapter and it doesn’t work.
    Think I need the proper Syntace adapter…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How hard can it be to make a chain guide?’ is closed to new replies.