Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How hard can it be to find a new crown race
  • welshfarmer

I have been running a set of 1.25″ steerer forks in a headset designed for tapered forks, obviously using a reducing crown race. I have now acquired some new (to me) forks with a 1.5-1.25 tapered steerer. But do you think I can find a crown race anywhere to suit. It is a minefield out there.

Current headset is an FSA orbit with External bottom cup and internal top. Standard 45 degree bearings as far as I am aware. Can anyone point me to a suitable seller of a race to fit?

Much obliged

PS I am sure my LBS could help but it is a 20 mile round trip and I am in lock down mode here with lambing at the moment.

scaredypants

UKbikestore seems to have loads – why not phone em up & see what you need ?

Mackem

So your forks didnt come with a crown race? I’m confused.

scaredypants

😆

whytetrash

uk bike store as above sameplace as windwave so access to loads from memory!

welshfarmer

I think, having done a fair bit of detective work, and some cross referencing of sizes that the FSA H6078 listed by Disk Jockey above is indeed the correct one I need. Funnily enough I seem to have already had it in the cart from last night but was not 100% sure that it was the right one. Cheers guys.

nickdavies

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

if it’s 45×45 52mm OD then a Hope race should fit

welshfarmer

Cheers Rob, but it seems to be a 1.5in 36 degrees/ 45 degrees ACB Lower.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Ok shame, a lot of the time it’s sometime easier (and cheaper) to just buy a new (aftermarket) headset, Hope pick and mix headsets are about £32 and are really well sealed and do a reducer for there 1.5 steerer.

ononeorange

Mackem – oh please, oh please……..!

welshfarmer

Buying just the lower unit from a hope pick and mix was looked at but I thought it was quite a lot to pay considering my headset is still in good nick but just in need of the alternative race. I am still more than tempted to buy a Works Components 1 degree headset but at £80 I am struggling to justify it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How hard can it be to find a new crown race’ is closed to new replies.