Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • how good or bad are avid juicy 3?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

are they really basic entry level or a good allround usable brake?

ahwiles
    Free Member

when they work, they're very good; powerful, with nice modulation.

i abandoned them after struggling with seizing pistons, and leaky levers.

grumm
    Free Member

I found them ok, seemed to need regular bleeding though.

MrTall
    Free Member

Mine were fine but needed bleeding a bit more often than my other brakes.

Only sold them so that i could then have Shimano brakes on all my bikes so the pads all match. I did have 5 different makes and it was a hassle to always have spare pads for each one.

Also ran mine with 203/185 so that would have helped with the stopping power.

bone_idle
    Free Member

The pistons are made of hard cheese and crumble when you push them back to change the pads. And they are dam hard to force back, I'd give them a miss given the choice. Other than that they seem alright for the price

hp_source

I'm running them at 203/185 on my on-one, as above, they seem to need bleeding fairly regularly, but they're plenty powerful enough.
    Pads are very common if you need spares quick any half-decent bike shop should stock them.

MarkDatz
    Free Member

My buddy had some a cople of years back they were ok but he got some cheep shmano xts and they are wickid powerful

BoardinBob

A year of use with 203mm rotors and they've been fine. Haven't had to touch them once.

Notter
    Free Member

Not had to bleed mine after 2 years but they have suffered a sticky piston at each end, easily fixed though. They seem slightly more sensitive to misalignment than other brakes I've used also, but again you just need care in installation.

Performance wise I've had no issues at all with them, good feel, modulation and enough power when you need them.

Mine are OEM on a Giant Trance, if I were buying as a standalone item I'd more likely go for Shimano Deore's if they were in a similar price range, but that's more an endorsement of the Deore's than an indictment of the Juicys.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘how good or bad are avid juicy 3?’ is closed to new replies.