Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • How good is Llandegla,
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

We did an hour on Monday and then the red with a coupe of the black runs yesterday.

I ad a great time.

The skills course is brilliant as well. My only regret was we didn’t have a full day there.

Is anyone a regular there? I totally bottled the big rocky drop (not sure what it’s called) but the set of berms on the red were fantastic (sorry I don’t know the names of the features). But if there’s any vids of people going off it I’d like to see them.

Bregante

It gets a bit of bad press on here but I like it.

Where’s this big rocky drop of which you speak?

spudly1979
    Free Member

I think its top, not too technical, but probably the most fun i’ve had at a trail centre.

Do you mean the rocky drop onto the north shore on the new bit, or the drop just before the new black section fairly early on? (yes, i’ve no idea what the bits are called either)

wayniac
    Free Member

It’s got everything I dislike about ‘trail centres’.

emac65
    Free Member

I like it & try to get there every month or so,it’s simple but it works.

spudly1979
    Free Member

i may be opening pandora’s box here, but what don’t you like wayniac?

eyerideit
    Free Member

It’s the one at the start of the northshore. It was the only ***k, I’m not doing that everything else was great. Even the long climb at the end..

I’ll definitely go back it was a lot of fun.

wayniac
    Free Member

Long boring climb at the beginning.

Very sanitised trails that don’t offer much of a challenge. Felt like I was going through the motions. I prefer more natural, challenging and varied stuff. Could tell by the number of families riding around what kind of place it is.

But quite a few seem to like it, whatever floats your boat.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its been said before. If its boring, you’re:
    a) not riding it fast enough
    and
    b) can’t jump

eyerideit
    Free Member

Where do you usually ride wayniac?

There were lots of families and loads of teenagers messing around in the skills/pump/free rides, which is good IMO as they’ll keep the sport alive.

paddy0091
    Free Member

faceplanted/knocked out within 15minutes of pedalling, so no idea/memory. 😆 😳

nosedive
    Free Member

it’s brilliant isn’t it. dont worry about the haters, some people just cant bring themselves to like something popular.

the technique for the drop in you mentioned if just to ride off it, the landing is more sloped than it looks and the forks should soak up a front heavy landing if you dont do it perfectly

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I live 10 mins from the place, but only ride it once in a blue moon. But, I do like it every now and then…the ride up to the masts is a good diversion, but for me it gets too busy. I prefer the hills for the peace n quiet.
    The rock drop is a fairly new addition to the red route, about half way around.
    Penmachno is better.

trailhound
    Free Member

I live 10min down the road and I do feel very lucky to have such good trails so close although I do get why some people slate the trails as its not the most technical riding to be found but they’re a right blast to hammer round full tilt and the new sections of black and red have had some really great wrk carried out in them, night rides in the winter, bbq’s in the summer, great cafe and shop – what’s not to like?!

wayniac
    Free Member

Not saying families etc a bad thing just not my cup of tea.

I’m from the north east so normally ride hamsterley, Northumberland natural stuff and Scotland. We travelled down to Wales, rode moelfre then had a ride around llandegla and we were all a bit disappointed.

I rode it fast and I can jump and it was still only average.

mboy
    Free Member

It’s got everything I dislike about ‘trail centres’.

I’ve got nothing against trail centres at all, but I get what he means. It is the very definition of a Trail Centre, if there was one.

For the most part it is way too wide, and way too sanitised, though at least recently they have added new sections in that vary it up a little and add a little more interest back to it. When I first went about 3 years ago, it really was a boring place to ride. Way too sanitised. Nothing to offer anyone, unless you were mr and mrs average with your 2.4 children out to have a go at cycling.

It is very easy to get to for quite a lot of people though, which might also be why it is a lot tamer than it could be. Horses for courses and all that, at least it’s better than it was IMO, but it’s still nothing to write home about.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Ride llandegla a couple of weeks back. Similar experience to wayniac really. Came away wondering if I still get a kick out of mountain biking. Rode the rangers descent at snowdon the next day and remembered exactly why I love it.

Maybe it’s just N.welsh trail centres. I like a descent to be a descent, not suddenly turn into another boring climb.

Jeffus
    Free Member

eyerideit, I watched a young lad roll the rock on his front wheel tipped the back wheel down some how then manualled down the north shore, made me feel quite envious sat looking down from the top 😀

gsp1984
    Free Member

It’s ok for a blast if you want a bit of quick jumpy riding, it’s a BMX track though, not mountain biking… Perhaps I’m spoilt by the long rocky descents in the peaks

Rorschach
    Free Member

I also live 10 minutes away.
    I even used to work there.
    I can do sub hour laps of the black.
    I can jump everything on the ‘freeride’ line (which I helped build).
    I ride there semi regularly.
    I still think it’s pretty mleh tbh (it’s certainly not ‘mountainbiking’).

eyerideit
    Free Member

ahhh, the fire road climbs. I get what you mean but I don’t mind grinding out a long dull climb (must be my inner roadie) 🙂

Scot:

Just watched a vid of the rangers path descent looks pretty intense. How did you get up three, did you ride up and what bie did you use. The guy on the vid had a orange 224. The path looks like it would eat an average bike.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve been to most of the main trail centres in the UK and still never been to Llandegla, I love jumps and a good bit of smooth trail so can’t wait to finally get there!

bentudder

I rode it on the Sunday of my stag weekend. I couldn’t see straight. It was still fun (and I had to ride it with pink bar tassles and a nice big pink horn on the bars).

I’m lucky enough to have smashing natural (and not a few pixied) trails at my doorstep, so riding a trail centre is a rare treat – maybe once or twice a year. It makes a refreshing change.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Going warp speed through the trees, changing direction every few seconds and getting as much airtime in as possible puts one massive grin on my face. Which is why I ride bikes.

fivespot
    Free Member

Also lucky enough to live within 20 mins from the place and love it. But it wasn’t kind to me today. My Ti railed Charge Spoon broke a rail at the start of the red, then while heading back to the cafe on the smooth fire road, my rear tyre split. Back tomorrow with spare saddle a repaired tyre for another blast 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

Where do you do that dbw??

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think its called Llandegla. Its apparently shit but I quite like it there.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

As a jack-of-all-trade cyclist, Llandegla is perfect for irregular MTB’ers like myself and those I’ve been there with. Hoping to take my GF along as an introduction to MTB once I’ve built up her bike, a nice looking 456 on a budget.

mwleeds

I ride there a bit (and usually enjoy myself) but only because it’s close. I actually think the black is quite dangerous, it encourages very high speeds and can easily catch people out who aren’t able jumpers. In that respect I think it’s poorly designed. The best man made trails are difficult to ride quickly and easy to ride slowly. Llandegla is easy to ride quickly, just difficult to ride quickly without crashing!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

eyerideit – IMO rangers is the best descent in the UK that I have done. Did it on a prince albert a couple of years back and cleared probably around 60% of it. Did it on a pitch with lyrics and a coil DHX4 on the back and it was phenomenal. Cleared around 80-90% but was mainly stopped by walkers on sections (we didn’t descend until 10.30 and it was s nice day so was getting busy).

We pushed up – save the energy for the descent.

eyerideit
    Free Member

You did it on an albert, good skills!

The guy in this vid is riding hellafast.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZgoxhilGoY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

A prince Albert will go anywhere – fantastic bike. I did kill my set of Magura Menjas doing it though.

Yeah that guy attacks it. More skills than me (and I really didn’t hang about on there!).

First half of this video is our 2009 trip up there:

http://vimeo.com/m/6818036

philfive
    Free Member

It’s ok for a brain out ride but I prefer riding in the lakes. I have lee quarry and gisburn within 30 minutes, I live next to the pennine bridalway and rude the lakes every other weekend, llandovery is never gonna figure high in my list. What’s the weather like around snowdon at the moment? I’m off up there on Monday.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Philfive

Heavy rain on Monday, then showers and a bit of hale yesterday. Didn’t ride today but it was bright and clear. Tomorrow’s looking good and so is the weekend. Looks like you’ll have a good week.

Off to Brenin tomorrow for a blast round MBR. I went up to Lee in jan but it was iced over and the mrs who new to off road riding was that keen on riding an iced up quarry.

Will give it a go next time we’re up, gisburn looks good as well. All I need is one week off a month to go riding and I’ll be happy.

1kcove
    Free Member

I can’t understand some people would find it a boring place to ride. Maybe they should be on a Five. 😆

brianh
    Free Member

Llandegla works for me and the new bits including the B-Line and Paralel Universe are really good – some people knock Llandegla but I guess its a matter of personal preference. If the car parks are anything to go by on a weekend a lot of people like it. Plus they have a great cafe!

beefy

In response to the original question of “how good is llandegla?”, it is not good at all. It’s crap.

Glad I am not the only one! Although I am a bit of a trail centre enemy, but will ride them if I am nearby. Glentress etc are good fun & well thought out, blandeglla is boring and too wide. Fact.

sppedymat
    Free Member

It’s a pleasure to get to ride there, today I passed it as was on route to a meeting, now that was cruel!

Yes we all have different opinions but it caters for a wide group of riders, and at the end of the day we just want to ride our bikes!

MrOvershoot

mwleeds – Member

I ride there a bit (and usually enjoy myself) but only because it’s close. I actually think the black is quite dangerous, it encourages very high speeds and can easily catch people out who aren’t able jumpers. In that respect I think it’s poorly designed. The best man made trails are difficult to ride quickly and easy to ride slowly. Llandegla is easy to ride quickly, just difficult to ride quickly without crashing!

Mike has it closest I think.
    Since it opened I have attended to + paramedics at least 3 people I have been riding with & 2 I have found in a crumpled heap on the track.
    I also know of at least 5 mates that have mullered themselves there.

It might look easy but as the speed goes up so does the mess when it goes wrong.

_tom_
    Free Member

Came away wondering if I still get a kick out of mountain biking. Rode the rangers descent at snowdon the next day and remembered exactly why I love it.

Maybe it’s just N.welsh trail centres. I like a descent to be a descent, not suddenly turn into another boring climb.

I get the same thing from most trail centres. We also did Snowdon the day after Llandegla and I loved it. Much prefer “natural” riding to trail centre xc, though most of my mtb time is spent riding jumps and drops at Woburn now!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘How good is Llandegla,’ is closed to new replies.