Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • How good are your neighbours
  • froggy67
    Free Member

Was thinking about this tonight. Mrs Froggy came home from hospital today having been admitted after coming down ill whilst away with friends on Saturday night. I got the call at about 11 o’clock in evening to get to the hospital to be with her. 2 kids under 7 meant I had to find help, we get on well with our neighbours so it didn’t seem wrong to knock on their door for help in baby sitting.
    When I mentioned this at work today, people couldn’t believe that I would even dare to call on them that late at night. We have a great group of neighbours and have all helped each other like this in the past. So my question is, do we have specially good neighbours or is this normal?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ours are mint! When we 1st moved in they came round & introduced themselves with a pot of tea & asked if we needed any help. Paul is ex forces & apparently this happens!
    Brilliant neighbours.

Stoner
    Free Member

I live in a hamlet of 11 houses. Everyone would do anything for anyone round here. It would be a shame to live any other way.

Of course, when I lived in London, it was much the opposite…

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

my neighbours are great

razorrazoo

I have no doubt that ours would help as needed and visa versa. The teenage lads on one side have babysat for our kids and let them paste makeup over their faces on my 4 year olds birthday. The couple on the other side are older but we still get on great, help each other out etc. We even extended our house, the ultimate test, and no fall out over that. Their are good people and their are bad people, I guess it’s just luck of the drawer.

And we live in London (well Twickenham)

joshvegas
    Free Member

You have good neighbours.

Most people do and i think its a shame so many people are so blind to it.

I’d answer the door and gladly help anyone who needed it.

sweepy
    Free Member

If I lived somewhere where I couldn’t ask my neighbour for help in an emergency at 11 o’clock, i’d move.

MoreCashThanDash

My neighbours have now retired and also removed the pampas grass. I could rely on them in an emergency, though friends a few doors up would – and have – been invaluable for crisis childcare. Though we did provide them with emergency accommodation when their house flooded.

Sandwich

Ours are great also. Eggs from the chickens on one side. The older lady has the emergency key to let us in. We take her shopping once a week and sit for the kids the other side if it’s late and there’s a need for the lone mother to go out (her husband works nights). Some of those across the road make a racket early in the morning/late at night fighting over access to the kids. It’s not a bad neighbourhood for a small town.

bigblackshed

When we 1st moved in they came round & introduced themselves with a pot of tea & asked if we needed any help.
    Brilliant neighbours.

When ours moved in next door, semi detached, I took a bottle of wine round to say welcome. I received a “**** off you ****” from the wife. They’ve only got worse.

Neighbours on the other side, across the road junction are brilliant. Noisy kids but at least they are out and about and playing.

RustySpanner

Horrible.

He deliberately upset my wife on the day of her father’s funeral.
    We had been nothing but pleasant to them, but he was snotty from the start.

They move next week.
    🙂

All other neighbours are absolute darlings – friendly, helpful, quiet.

enigmas
    Free Member

Living in a reasonably rough area of Bristol one house is full of students and other than a constant smell of weed coming from their back garden I don’t hear much from them. At least one of them’s always in as well which is mega useful for parcel deliveries. The other side as far as I can tell is a foreign couple, literally never see them.

The other side of the road is council houses and full of Jeremy kyle sorts. At the moment the sunny weather means they spend most evenings outside p*ssed on Stella on plastic chairs, beats blaring and shouting at each other while attempting to get their £2 disposable bbq going.

Our Tenancy agreement is up in September then I’m out of here. Saved a lot this last year mind as the rent is so cheap.

porter_jamie

our neighbours are fantastic. we water the plants when on holiday and all that kind of thing. wouldn’t think twice about knocking on the door in an emergency and i am sure vice versa. good neighbours are a blessing

ski
    Free Member

As we are the scruffy ones in our street, they tolerate us very well tbh, we have a group BBQ thing going on at the moment which has brought us all closer recently, that and there has been some nasty incidents going on recently so everyone seems to be looking out for each other. It’s all good

scaled
    Free Member

I live in a pretty ropey part of South Manchester, my neighbors are ace 😀

Yeah, occasionally there’s a very pissed up party going on till 3am but when my bikes got nicked 3 out of the 4 reappeared 3 days later in the back of my neighbors transit with assurances that the lad that nicked them wouldn’t be doing it again.

Gardening out the front is pretty much impossible for stopping to chat. Speaking of gardening, the lad across the road does the front gardens of all the old folks for free while he’s doing his own.

There’s also a chap that litter picks every morning while he’s walking his dog.

Northern Moor, ain’t it great

seosamh77
    Free Member

No idea, I’ve not seen any of them yet! I’ve just moved in about 4 weeks ago. I hope they stay invisible! :mrgreen:

Last place I was in, my neighbours were magic, couple of gay female doctors next door who were sound, and a woman and her daughter underneath us. Couldn’t have asked for better really.

Yak

Yes, really good. Always on the look-out for everyone, taking deliveries, giving away spare eggs etc. All good. Having lived in places where no-one knew their neighbours, I really appreciate good neighbours now.

trailhound101

my neighbours deserve better!

egb81
    Free Member

We have great Neighbours. Single women both sides. One side takes all our packages in and looks after the cat while we are away. The other is hardly ever there but nice when we see her. The neighbours behind smoke a lot of weed and play loud music a lot but I quite like their taste in hip hop and their freestyle rapping is hilariously crap. We have a big Romanian family A few doors down who a really friendly and we chat to several others who live in the street. All in a not particularly fancy part of Bristol. It’s great here.

globalti
    Free Member

Fantastic – elderly couple on one side; he taught me all I know aboout plumbing and has helped me with lots of DIY projects. They look out for us when I’m away on trips. Single mum on the other with 3 kids, their garden looks like tinkers live there but they are a lovely family and she often nips round for a glass of wine and a chinwag. Others opposite and further away we are on friendly terms and keep parcels, one has a son who is a bit of a dickhead but that doesn’t impact us too much, one retired chemist further down wanders up the street every morning and collects all the litter.

Out back we have open fields, heifers and bull currently munching their way through all the grass; I’m on friendly terms with the farmer who supplies our firewood.

Great contrast from where we lived in Burnley and we were forced to move when a drug dealer/former robbery with violence type moved in next door and life became very unpleasant.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I live in London
    And my neighbours are real cool, we always help each other out, and they just love my son ,Giving him presents from the day he was born
    I even go out for rides with my neighbours 24 year old son!!
    It might help that I’m a builder and they always need stuff doing…

But if you put the effort in …..you’ll get great neighbours !!

wallop

The mentions from the Bristol residents have reminded me – when I used to live in ‘posh’ parts (ie Clifton or Westbury Park), the neighbours wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire. In BS3 now – much nicer.

grum
    Free Member

Our neighbours are good folk. Played cricket with the fella opposite once or twice, been to the retirement party of neighbours on one side. The ones on the other side are friendly enough but keep themselves to themselves which is fine. Nearly neighbours on the next street over are really good friends. Only been here a couple of years so quite happy with that really.

Some people are just dicks/weird but I find in general if you’re nice and friendly people will reciprocate.

And as above, I reckon there is something wrong if you couldn’t call on neighbours at 11pm in an emergency.

benz
    Free Member

Live on a small estate in a small village.

Our current neighbours are great. We’ve got a good mix of folks living here and the kids play together too.

Fair few of the gents get out on our bikes together…just like being lads again….although our respective partners shake their heads when we head out in an evening with spades, saws, strimmers and the like…..

Take the dog for a walk in the evening and what should take 20mins takes 1.5hrs….always good to have a chat!

piemonster

I’m actually a bit gutted. Our previous neighbours proved to be dicks. (Overhearing the firm disapproval of our ‘accents’ being one thing among many)

They’ve recently sodded off and have been replaced by top chaps who didn’t hesitate to offer a chilled beer at the end if a sunny day. Interesting to talk to, and interested to talk to us.

I’m gutted as we are moving in the next 6 months or so and need to replay ‘neighbour roulette’

transplant38
    Free Member

My neighbour recently replaced all my fencing while I was away. They take sympathy on me because I don’t have as much money as them.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Grumpy old ex-copper on one side, harmless enough, but is happy to let his house crumble around him. Which is a worry as it’s the other side of mine.
    Mad crazy single mum florist on the other.
    Mad as a box of frogs, and is spot on 90% of the time.
    Apparent from when she decides to park on my drive, so I then can get parked..
    Opposite? Great couple, ride bikes and go to the pub with them.

onehundredthidiot

Great neighbours who retired this year. The missus is currently painting our side of the fence which they put up and wouldn’t take a penny for after the wall was rebuilt due to ivy. Again they wouldn’t accept money even though I stood there with the deeds saying w e need to pay half. Other neighbour is a bit of a dick, he’s currently moaning that the upcoming exchange to ******is paid by the kids but free to staff. I’m one of the staff. He obviously didn’t see me at all the fundraising stuff.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Well the grumpy weirdo who lived next to me moved away(on the Imperial scale of weirdness, using the marooned together on a desert island test, I’d have walked him off a cliff on day one he was that weird).

Other neighbours great but old boy next door in his 80’s is terrifying as wont ask for help so yesterday we had to politely but firmly tell him to stop wobbling about on the top step of his step ladder to prune his fence one handedly with the trimmer and let me do it at the weekend! He has a record of pruning the lead and not using an RCD.

cardo

We count ourselves very lucky, neighbour on one side lets the dogs out for a tinkle and stroll whilst we are out at work and the other let us use his electric when we were having problems with the wiring in our house.. Just remembered I need to borrow his ladders to sort my windows out too. 🙂

theotherjonv

All told pretty good. We’re end of a terrace of 4 so no-one on one side, but the other 3 are pretty good. Next door are a couple and their teenage daughter, she’s a nurse, he works up town so quite often they just pass in the night. She’s lovely, although can chat a bit if she gets going (it’s a Portuguese thing) – he’s a bit odd at times, i wonder actually if he likes the sauce a bit too much; eg; was clearing up outside after gardening one Sat afternoon using a shovel on the driveway to clear up leaf mulch and he came out in his pyjamas ‘complaining’ about the noise as he was still in bed. At 3pm.

Far end is the young couple with a baby, we don’t see much of them but perfectly nice when we do.

The ones in between are the diamonds. He’s a proper tradesman, joiner by trade but can do building, chippying, plumbing, the lot. And being a proper tradesman he doesn’t lend his tools, instead he comes and does it for you. Need a tree topped? Rick’s round with his chainsaw. Fence post dug out. Rick’s got a Kango in his van. He recently did all the soffits, fascias and gutters, for all 4 houses at mates rates, and then because I fetched and carried stuff for him over the weekend up and down the scaffold tower, knocked a load off for me. He did eat a shedload of meat at the barbecue we threw to say thanks though…… His wife’s a sweetie, always spends time with the kids, they have 2 collies that the girls love going round to throw a ball for, and they both ride bikes, although mainly roadie stuff. They even got married on the start line of the Etape Caledonia. Yay for Rick and Jo!!

The ‘nightmare’ is Mumtaz who lives opposite with her son and daughter. She’s a proper Pakistani grandmother widow, her late husband was a consultant at the hospital, and she’s always having members of her extended family round. Which means she’s always cooking, and the smells are just to die for. You only have to leave the house when Mumtaz is in the kitchen and you’re like the Bisto kids, and if she catches you she’ll fetch you samosas, and bhajis, and….. So if I smell her cooking I have to hide otherwise I’d be 86 stone. Her sons (one’s married and moved out) are decent cricketers too, used to play against them and they give the ball a hell of a whack.

rocketman
    Free Member

Mixed bag really

Lovely Bangladeshi family on one side they’re the most peaceful and respectful people you could ever wish to meet

Other side have three girls in their 20s who attract boys like flies. Parents have cars, the girls have cars and their boyfriends have cars so that’s EIGHT fricken cars all over the road. But they’re all right really 🙂

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

transplant38 – Member

My neighbour recently replaced all my fencing while I was away. They take sympathy on me because I don’t have as much money as them.

They now own your fence ! id have it in writing that they replaced but its yours and add that to the deeds ! Trouble will come when you move they move etc !

j4mie
    Free Member

I keep myself to myself and have lived in my house for 16 months and only spoken to my neighbour once, after they’d taken a parcel in and I hadn’t been notified. I did overhear them moaning about my front lawn once, but as I’m out at work all day, either riding or playing tennis on weekday evenings, and very often away at events at the weekend, I think they’d also moan if I mowed it at 6am or something. Meh.

Elderly other neighbour I’ve yet to see. It is quiet here though and never hear any trouble, in fact I was late for work once cos I couldn’t find my keys to lock the house door, spent ages looking everywhere (as you do), they were in the ignition of my unlocked car out on the street.

If I was asked for anything I’d be more than happy to help, but never have been, don’t mind really. I’ll probably be moving within the next 6 months anyway.

edhornby

the last place we lived next to Ant and Justine who we would move back next to us again if it were in our power to do so, they work at the same place as me so bump into them occasionally 🙂

one side are really nice, keep to themselves but we chat whenever we see them, the teenage daughter recently got a horse and they are never at home !!

the other side are no bother, pretty quiet, we only see them every 12mins

Speshpaul

so when looking for a new house next door should include retired former trades people at the lower end of the socio-econ scale, that include 1st generation immigrants.

Cool.

We currently have a lovely retired couple, a doctor and her plumber husband (go on, beat that:-) and 3 generations of HK Chinese, (yes they do run the local, Fairway Chinese takeaway on your way home from Eastridge.)

Thinking about it there’s only me that bring down the hood.

thecaptain
    Free Member

^^ 5 times an hour seems a bit much. Do you get nights off?

Our neighbours are friendly retired types, don’t know them well. We’ve never (before) been the neighbourly chat-over-the-fence types, usually out all day at work and never meet, but this is changing a bit…

DezB
    Free Member

I just have a retired old lady next door, we say hello.
    She’s ok, never hear her, she never complains about noises coming from my place, but I am conscious of the noise, so she probably only hears me occasionally.
    Her middle-aged son washes his mountain bike outside her house, but I’ve never even chatted to him about it!
    I think the term “nodding acquaintance” applies to the rest of the road.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I live in a cul-de-sac in one of the roughest parts of Edinburgh – my neighbours are great and they would do anything for you. They have their moments and there can be a fair bit of police activity at times, but it’s great living here.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well i got a set of hope xc for wheels for nowt and a brand new in box XT mch for £20 off mine – so pretty bloody good!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘How good are your neighbours’ is closed to new replies.