Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How Fat (Singular Swift)
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Hello,

Sorry if it’s been asked before couldn’t see much on a search.

I’m fat curious… but do not have the money to warrant going for a full fat bike and to be honest I really like my Singular Swift best frame I’ve owned!
    I have one of the older blue frame and fork combos running 29×2.4 Conttis on On-One wheels (Reet’ard).
    I think that is about as wide as I can go on a standard Swift, I was wondered if anyone is running an older Swift with a different set of forks with a wider front tyre?
    I have been looking at the On-One forks (maybe the carbon jobbers) if I am to make the change might be a few months yet want to put it back to singlespeed first….
    Are there any other forks to look at? Also how wide could I go my current wheels?

Sorry for the questions been out of action for a few years and hoping to do a bit more!

core

Get a new fork off Sam?

rOcKeTdOg

2.4 ardent on a 35mm blunt in the rear of mine, Singular 29+ fork with dually & chronicle up front.MK1 swift

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick replies, I did see Sam offering the new forks, and thanks for the reminder.

rOcKeTdOg – do you know how it rides compared to the standard forks?

rOcKeTdOg

rOcKeTdOg – do you know how it rides compared to the standard forks?

Like the normal fork, other than it having a semi-skimmed tyre & the benefits that brings it rides like a standard Swift

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Ok thanks, I wonder if it will be a bit 69er’ish.

Looks like I will need a wider front rim all stuff to think about.

Thanks for the info!

zigzag69
    Free Member

Salsa enabler 29er + 1st gen Singular Swift!

Canny whack it!

80mm rim from robsson.de & DMR 135mm single speed hub. The bike’s a hoot.

rOcKeTdOg

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Thanks for the photos, they do look mint!

Time to start saving some pennies…

tazzymtb

650 b+ swift is apparently the bestest swift set up ever and fits front and rear with 2.8 happily.

rOcKeTdOg

650 b+ swift is apparently the bestest swift set up ever and fits front and rear with 2.8 happily.

current models do, classics don’t have enough room up the rear according to Sam

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments on this, been looking on Charlie’s site for wheel ideas.

Will be looking into this in the future.

Cheers!

emyr

2.8″ pfft, that’s not fat that’s just chubby!

nemesis
    Free Member

Check out the b+ thread:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/650b-and-other-plus-sizes-if-you-like-rim-tyre-frame-fork-combinations

current models do, classics don’t have enough room up the rear according to Sam

This isn’t right – again, details in the other thread. 2.8 will comfortably fit if you don’t use too wide a rim (actually it may even fit with a really wide rim but I haven’t tried)

To the OP – I have the current Swift fork on my original Swift (repainted blue to match my frame). It has about 4″ clearance so it’ll comfortably take a 3″ tyre and wider depending how much clearance you want to retain. As to the ride, it’s one of the best rigid forks I’ve used – plenty of front to back flex (in a good way!) to take the edge off stuff.

rOcKeTdOg

This isn’t right – again, details in the other thread. 2.8 will comfortably fit if you don’t use too wide a rim

a + tyre is pointless on a narrow rim though, if you run it at the low pressure they are capable of it’s like cornering on ice with a flat tyre

forzafkawi
    Free Member

a + tyre is pointless on a narrow rim though, if you run it at the low pressure they are capable of it’s like cornering on ice with a flat tyre

What would you say minimum internal width rocketdog?

nemesis
    Free Member

No doubt there’s some compromise but for me, it works well with a ‘narrow’ rim (25mm internal, 30mm external) – I find you still get a significant benefit over a normal 29er set up so while it may not get the ultimate benefit, you still get a big one.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

What front wheels are out there around 50mm wide? My Google Fu is not strong at the mo…. Charlie seems to have a good deal on a Surly front wheel, out of stock though.

Cheers, Steve

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Dually wheels are around 50mm wide I think, along with Stan’s Hugo.

nemesis
    Free Member

Dually, scraper, Hugo, Mulefut 50 are the ones that spring to mind

Clink

Nemesis – nice bike – but a tad small in length for you? Set-back post and saddle slammed back on the rails?

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah it does look that way but all my bikes are like that even the ones with really long TTs and stems (actually the Swift is fairly long anyway). In fact, I find that a longer set up just means I ride more stretched out or feel too far forward on the saddle and end up sitting off the back of it.

It probably is why I like bikes with relatively long chainstays though…

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Thanks for those!

Cheers, Steve

cjr61

All this talk of Roosters and Fat Swifts….think the fleet needs trimming down to go fat!

Anyone fancy a Large Scandal frame Swift frame swap? 😉

OCB
    Free Member

2 months later …

I have one of the earlier Swifts, and (as you can clearly see in this photo 🙄 ) … I’m using mine with a Salsa Enabler fork, but only with a 30mm rim (Salsa Semi)and 2.4 Conti MK (on a 135mm hub). The plan was to go semi-fat, but (subjectively) this is *such* a great set up I’ve never bothered, and probably won’t now.

I am 29+ Rooster/Deadwood curious tho’ … (and ‘being curious’ often leads to trouble).

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Thought I would add a little update….. I didn’t go fat stuck with 2.4…. gone Alfine though…..
    Maybe some time down the line/next time the wheels need rebuilding (still using the old On-One Reet’Ards) I will look at a 27.5/650b+ as that look like a good option, sadly I’m running out of monies….

Cheers, Steve

dovebiker

I run Velocity P35 rims on my 29+ even at 5/6psi I’ve never noticed any problem with excessive tyre squirm with Knards. I noticed a significant difference in traction between 2.4″ tyres and 3.0″ tyres too.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How Fat (Singular Swift)’ is closed to new replies.