Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How fast (safely) on off road tyres?
  • rideforrestride
    Free Member

Evenin’ all

Headed out on Dartmoor earlier for some interval training on road on my XC bike.

Hitting roughly 40.9 mph on a downhill section I started wondering how quick one can generally (safely) go on off road tyres on road?

Am I heading for a high speed face plant?

Chris

rureadyboots
    Free Member

No

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve done 48mph no problems.
    Years ago I read (although I can’t vouch for) that an MTB tyre has to be doing 250mph to aquaplane…..

Olly
    Free Member

riding my MTB on the road, I tend to get to around 40 and then start thinking about things like front wheel blowouts, and the the last time i tensioned my self built wheels.

Having said that, I did plenty of overtaking on the Dyfi. Blatting past people on the rough slate side lines only really made feasible by a big bike. Wheels take a hell of a battering but it doesn’t bother me offroad.

Descending the highest pass in the alps i hit 65kph with a bike loaded heavily enough i couldnt lift it. I built those 700cc wheels too! too busy overtaking cars to worry about “whatifs” 😀

carlos
    Free Member

Easily topped 40 and nudged 50 before now on the Mtb. Ran out of road not balls other wise it’d be quicker.

rideforrestride
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I shall no longer fear the speed…

jonahtonto
    Free Member

my only worry when ‘making progress’ on the road is front wheel washout. big brakes, high speed, corners and nobblies have caught me out a few times. -last time was a 40mph slide on a blind bend with no lid 😯

wiggles
    Free Member

I start to get wary around 40mph because nobly tyres make a hell of a noise at that speed and brake dive is a bit mental, so I lock my fork out for the big hills on the way home from work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How fast (safely) on off road tyres?’ is closed to new replies.