Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How far do you go too secure your bikes?
  • gmex619
    Free Member

I’m not looking for pics or anything like that unless your comfortable posting them. But what are your personal security things. IE chains, locks, gates, alarms and whatever.

Me personally, I right now have 3 gates, 2 locks, 3 dogs between my house drive exit and my bike storage.

But in the Spring when it’s a bit warmer I’m re-fitting the garage, installing ground anchors and re-enforcing the gate and locks.

But on a side note. None of the items I’m posted are sent too the address where my bikes are stored. I mean, I’d sooner lose out a few £ on a sale gone bad than a few thousand having my storage stripped.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As much as the insurance company asked for.

If somebody wants them, they will get them in the end of the day.

They have been covered while in my shed, I did put a couple of locks round them but that was it. Now they live in the house as we have no secure outdoor storage. Again not chained up as they are covered as they are. If someone wants to steal them I’d rather they did it and got out.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

About 10 meters to the shed.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Until my mind is at peace

Rorschach
    Free Member

I sleep about 8ft away from all my bikes 😯

jota180
    Free Member

All mine are in a wooden shed with extra reinforcing on the hinges and locks.
    None of the bikes are actually locked in the shed but we do have a big dog 20 feet or so away in the house, he’ll make an awful lot of noise.

IHN

As much as the insurance company asked for.

If somebody wants them, they will get them in the end of the day.

This.

redted
    Free Member

I make a habit of saying “Slasher…..STAY, you’re not hungry, you ate two days ago!” in a loud voice as I leave the house each morning. Seems to work for me.

tomhoward

I sleep about 8ft away from all my bikes

So far?

As above, as well as the insurers say so

bruneep

I just use a couple of locks.

andeh

As folks have said, if people want them, they will get them. For me it’s about allowing them down and making as much noise as possible while doing so. It’s impossible to get into my shed without being mounted by a precarious, and friendly, aluminium ladder.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Concrete shed. Door hinges turned backwards so you can’t open the door to fit the handle bars through. Ground anchor, motorbike chain, motion sensor pad lock oh yeah and two killer ferrets

jimmy

Just got myself one of these which now has £6k of bikes in it, so it had better be good.

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Acc1#

And sure, I hang out next to it in my lycra whenever possible.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Each stage of getting to the bikes is difficult. Garden is difficult to get into, once in the garden the garage is difficult to get into, once inside the garage the bikes are difficult to get to. Once you can get close enough to touch the bikes the physical security on the bikes is difficult to get past. If they got to the bikes then the likeliest approach would be to cut the frames and make do with selling the parts.

A determined thief carrying a variety of tools could take the bikes but he would either take a long time to do it quietly or it could be done a bit quicker if he was prepared to make a lot of noise.

I’m quite tight lipped about security but the one tip that I am willing to share is to leave no cutting tools in the same location as the bikes. If they come well equipped then so be it but there’s no reason to make it easy. Also blackberry bushes are lovely, quite spiky and provide for tasty jam.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

To get near my bikes they’d have to pass my office with a couple of shiny mac pros and and some nice apple displays…I hope this is enough to distract them.

If that wasn’t distraction enough they’d have to carry them down three flights of stairs and build them when they got outside.

soundninjauk

In my cupboard in my hallway. So that’s through a magnetically locked front door, then my front door, then past the office with the aforementioned shiny mac/display/audio monitor setup, then past my bedroom. Then they’d have to carry it out or put it together in the hallway.

Then the sound of the hope hub would wake me up anyway.

crush83
    Free Member

Only 1 door and no locks (on the bike)

But they first have to get onto an RAF base with armed security 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

But they first have to get onto an RAF base with armed security

Apart from those that have passes of course 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How far do you go too secure your bikes?’ is closed to new replies.