Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • How far do you drive to ride?
  • jedi

Thou shalt not journey more than an hour yet ride thine iron steed for but 59 minutes lest thou shalt be smoten with bombers and thine sandals shalt runneth over with wee

legend!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Well, unfortunately my response to this thread WOULD have been 0-60mins usually, but now I have a 5hr (each way) drive to the closest trails… That is Colorado though… Welcome to middle America! 🙁

senorj

I have driven 3.5hrs to go to Afan from London.
    Once .That was too long/far.
    I normally limit it to a 1.5 hr drive when Darn Sarf.
    When i’m at yam it takes 15 minutes to get to somewhere lovely.

The ride has to be of a decent distance & hours
    to justify a drive. i.e no less than 25/30 mile or 4.5+hours.
    Disapointed otherwise.

trio25
    Free Member

I mainly ride from my door. But drive to events and a few times a year to meet up with friends. 2hours is probably my maximum when driving but the OH usually drives and we’ll go further. But its not about the riding its about meeting up with friends etc. If its just riding I like to go from home as more time for riding and less stressful.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Thou shalt not journey more than an hour yet ride thine iron steed for but 59 minutes lest thou shalt be smoten with bombers and thine sandals shalt runneth over with wee
    Thats going in the ‘rules’.

jedi

we need that as a sticky 🙂 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

as little as possible. i like to ride out of the door. often 5 miles to start a night ride although in the warmer weather i often cycle that too.

I know pwople who are local who do 150 mi+ every weekend to get to south wales; this baffles me.

DrT
    Free Member

The majority of my riding is from the front door but have no problem with driving big distances for days in the mountains/weekends way with mates etc.

Biggest drive for a weekend away this year was Edinburgh to Llanberis on friday night, Snowdon in morning, drive to Dolgellau, Cadair Idris in afternoon, over to Shrewsbury Sat night to visit some friends, back home Sunday. A lot of driving for a days riding but well worth it.

I dont think I would have been so keen on the sport for such a long time if I had to drive for all of my riding as a lot of people seem to though.

langy
    Free Member

I don’t drive, so it’s all from the door – though I do jump on the train to cut out 10-15km of flat boring road…

When someone else is driving, I go with the same theory of the ride having to be longer than the journey duration to make it “worthwhile”. However it is rare to drive and more often on weekends away etc

Alex

“Smoten” I particularly like. One for the OED surely.

15 mins to the Malverns. Smidge more to the FoD. 10 mins to some local woods with decent singletrack where I takes kids/dog. 20 mins if I ride to some other woods which was ace until the FC logged all the trails.

Wales/Mynd about an hour. Afan 1hr20ish so that’s doable as well. Always good to ride somewhere else. You can get all hand wringing about the environmental impact, but there is more to a carbon footprint than getting in the car once a month!

donsimon
    Free Member

Biggest drive for a weekend away this year was Edinburgh to Llanberis on friday night, Snowdon in morning, drive to Dolgellau, Cadair Idris in afternoon, over to Shrewsbury Sat night to visit some friends, back home Sunday. A lot of driving for a days riding but well worth it.

I’d drive all the way from Spain for a bit of that! 😉

I think last year I did zero and my riding suffered, this year more driving and therefore more riding.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

MINT! 😀

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

i can ride straight from the door but its only an hour loop.40 mins drive to bristol or the same to burrington combe for some better riding.

Surfr
    Free Member

It’s only about 3 km of quiet back road to Nant-yr-Arian or to the Nant-y-Moch climb on the trans-cambrian sportive in the other direction out of the village so it seems a little rude to drive.

Andituk
    Free Member

About an hour to the peaks usually.

No decent riding out of the door, so once you’re in the car, may as well drive to somewhere decent.

BadlyWiredDog

That’s what mountainbiking is about. For most people riding from their house is called road riding. Which is a different thing entirely.

I think you may be confusing ‘mountain biking’ with ‘driving cars’ which seems to be a common mistake on this forum :-/

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘How far do you drive to ride?’ is closed to new replies.