Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)
  • How ****ed is the industry you work in?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Town planning. In the two years I have been back in the NW there HASN’T BEEN ONE SINGLE JOB TO APPLY FOR!!!!!!!! (Liverpool, Manchester, Chester etc)

To make matters worse, I decided to apply for a job in Kingston which I was just offered but cannot take as the family don’t want to be moved again.

Note to all prospective planners, don’t **** bother, find something, anything, else to do.

Kato

How naive!

explain

mrgibbons
    Free Member

Oil sands remediation – yes, I think my job is somewhat ironic..

The one part of Environment Canada that Harper (who is like GW Bush’s shadow) hasn’t lain the axe to in an effort to get the Keystone XL pipeline built. Infact if it isn’t oil sands related, you have to fight *very* hard to get the research cash to do anything but, very different to even 12 months ago.

On the other side of things, my friend who owns a used bicycle business in Hamilton, ON – they only do repairs and sell refurbished secondhand bikes that are *given* to them is absolutely booming, to the point he bought a new premises with cash and is to rent out the top two floors as loft apartments 😀

As for the rest of Canada…things aren’t nearly as rosy as the UK broadsheets make out, people have jobs yes, but my god is it all a house of cards waiting to tumble down, everything is built on credit. It’s like the UK in 2004.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Contaminated land in the UK is basically dead. I’m working in a bike shop now!

whimbrel
    Free Member

Oil & gas here. Whole sector seems to be booming, e.g. Aker are recruiting 100’s in Aberdeen and opening a new design office in London. We are currently recruiting to increase staff numbers by 25%. We can’t make stuff quick enough.

molgrips
    Free Member

Rich, sell me a new hifi system then..?

stylish
    Free Member

Utilities, 23 years and multiple owners, all who have come in and stripped us down to the point where we are right royally stuffed, now owned by a very large Chinese firm who seem to think we have done bugger all for the last 10 years……….

Redundancy beckons i fear at some point………

swedishmatt
    Free Member

FMCG big company. Hit by increase in raw material costs. Pay increases are at least still happening, albeit low. No redundancies but quite a few “early retirements”. No new hiring really, some temps. Western Europe sales flat, all focus on new and developing markets. So nowt bad really but you’re expected to do a whole lot more. Could be a LOT worse comparing to what other people are writing here.

donsimon
    Free Member

In my previous life as a TEFL teacher in Spain, one of the first things to go was the training budget, so fewer classes and earning opportunities. The academies thought it was a good idea to either not give pay rises or reduce the pay making it difficult to move from company to company. And that looked like a future trend. 😕
    I was earing more per hour and working more hours in 2005/2006 than 2011.
    For that reason I’m out.

globalti
    Free Member

Fragrance industry. The entire industry is booming because emerging economies like China and India and parts of Latin America are demanding more fabric conditioner, soap, detergent, creams, shampoos and shower gels as well as household cleaners and airfresheners. Most of the demand is in China so there is a desperate shortage of synthetic raw materials and prices have increased by 65% on average. Natural events like ice storms have also affected natural raw materials; orange oil has gone up by 550% since ice storms in Florida wrecked the crop.

Our sales are growing by 10-12% a year and my own territory, Nigeria, is absolutely booming, we are breaking records ever month, this month we surpassed the whole 2010 turnover there. We are self-financing a new £3.5m factory with two robotic compounding machines, which will take our production capacity from the present £25m to £100m, all paid for out of cash in the bank.

Is that good enough?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Rich, sell me a new hifi system then..?

Heh, I’ve got keys to the factory. What do you want? 😉 Seriously though, happy to give you some honest advice on our equipment and can possibly garner some info on other things via the sales guys, feel free to email me.

CHB

Food industry is busy, but profits are hard as supermarkets want more profit and food commodity costs are very high. Net result is that the producer and the consumer lose out. The retailers do very nicely thank you. Anyone seen Tesco profits this year!

Still for folk working in factories, its business as usual as many of nations food producers are busy as people are eating at home more.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Apart from thieving robbing b*****s who think that illegally downloading music isn’t stealing at all, it’ all going swimmingly thanks. In fact, I’d say it is better now than it was a couple of years ago, and I’m having to turn work down, or start working more than three days a week, which ain’t gonna happen.

deviant
    Free Member

NHS.

Hard to say which way this will go….on the one hand the population’s health is getting worse, we have the highest rates of diabetes, heart disease, obesity and hypertension in europe so my job should be safe….on the other hand the NHS is simply unsustainable in its current guise unless people get used to the idea of paying a lot more tax.

julianwilson
    Free Member

LeeW – Member
    Defence R&D, very busy and have been for ages.

Every bombing sortie over Libya is about my ward’s entire operating budget for the year, so I am sure we will be doing far more with far less soon enough. 🙁 Don’t get me started on my stealth pay cuts and freeze on training….

flip
    Free Member

I have a grounds maintenance company, there’s always green stuff to mow or cut 😉

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Photographic industry … dire. From a staff of 18 in 2008 now down to 7, and struggling to keep head above water. I know a large franchise is currently under the umbrella of administration which doesn’t bode well for a lot of people.

Seems to be the result of part time participants undervaluing what it actually costs to sustain a business in the industry, and that cost is what the clients are using for comparison. They go to them, then come to us to complain and try to salvage something out of the mess !

We were also hit very hard in the decline in retail lending, ok I know it had a lot to answer for in the first place but if people can no longer spend, its the end supplier that suffers.

By comparison the same business model being applied in Australia seems to be booming (with resultant job offers as well).

timc
    Free Member

Music single sales are up since last year, not so sure its anything other than a change in trends!

yunki
    Free Member

people are still getting married with alarming gusto and regularity.. 🙂

majorspaniel

Aircraft manufacture, it’s going well, loads of orders this year, unlimited overtime with no prospect of it ending because the build rates are going up, glad if it to

Swelper
    Free Member

Oil and Gas Industry, manufacturer of Flowline / Valves / STT’s / SSV’s / Manifolds (Mud and Gate)

Desk jockey for large s**t loads of work, as mentioned before cant make it quick enough

Sales / Technical Support specifying and costing, quoting RFQ’s for the Middle East / Asia and South America

Anyone know of any interesting jobs going within the industry ?

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I work for the Probation Service.

Thanks to the recent spate of urban late night shopping, the future is looking pretty good.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Recycling waste electricals. Can’t expand the company quickly enough to keep up with demand. From a zero start 4 years ago to 50,000 tonnes of waste a year and 180 employees. Plus we export most of what we recover to China!

Happy days.

tazzymtb

Occupational Health and safety consultancy is fine, especially as I tend to deal with all the very dangerous and weird stuff that most industries don’t know what to do with. 😕

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Oil + gas booming for now. More engineering vacancies than applicants from what I can see.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

the nhs??? fecked! I blame the fatties!

ton

satellite aerial and cctv.
    once the digital switch over is done i will need a job.

anyone in west yorkshire hiring?

Flaperon

I’m in aviation. It was one of the first to go into recession but equally has been one of the first out. Looking fairly rosy for the short term, anyway.

GJP
    Free Member

I’m also in aviation, but not the same outfit that Flaperon works for.

It never looks too great to me and even when the times are good you know it won’t last for very long at all.

The outlook can change very quickly as the industry is very exposed to so many external influences. Not saying other industries or not, but they seem to hit quicker and deeper for the airlines.

speshspenner
    Free Member

Paper making…toilet and tissue, very very busy with demand out-strippin supply, still chasing costs but seems very stable. Share price even bucked trend over the last few weeks in the States and remained static.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Villainy.

Remains steady.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Aerospace Manufacturing. Generally pretty good. Although the (defence) project I work on is no longer looking so rosy as it once was, and the dept is re-deploying people.

richmars

& the company I used to work for can’t build printheads fast enough…..

That’ll be because they got rid of all the good engineers.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Kato the job IS ****ed. 😉

flip456
    Free Member

site/ project management for drywall, ceiling and fit out firm in London – the company i work for had a bit of a lull 4 months ago but most of the project teams have been overloaded for the past 2 years and next year looks just as busy.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

To Cardiff & Swepler (and anyone else interested)
    I work for an Engineering analysis company in Hexham (shouldn’t take you too long to find me). Mainly do FEA and CFD work with a bit of design stuff too. If you’re interested, email is in profile…

If you don’t fancy the analysis stuff, I know IHC EB in Riding Mill, SMD in Wallsend, Duco in Walker, CTC in Darlington are all crying out for people…

maxray
    Free Member

I don’t think its that bad binders in the creative industry, yes we have had to adapt to times so we are doing more Facebook tabs, apps and the like and a little less traditional print but its just as busy. I guess if you are pure print then things could be harder but that is as much to do with advancements in technology as hard times economically.

Swelper
    Free Member

ir_bandito

Cheers, will drop you a line over the weekend, my neck of the woods too, i work for a company in Team Valley which have the first three initials of a month, shouldn’t take much figuring out who I work for

Cheers

Swelper

Spaceman
    Free Member

The company I work for (big Yank corporation)supply analytical equipment to the pharma, chemical, NHS and universities etc, it went quiet a couple of years back but all the sectors we sell into seem to be stable enough and our business is growing. Not had a pay rise in three years mind, so not that great really I suppose.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

My work is rehabilitating offenders outside of prison. There seems to be no shortage of clients and no lack of enthusiasm (from Dave and his mates) for the idea of keeping offenders out of prison.

Win win for me, and I like my job. Goes with out saying the pay is crap.

BB

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘How ****ed is the industry you work in?’ is closed to new replies.