Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How dose a 520 Dialled PA compare to a 456
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Got the opportunity to own a Dialled PA in a 17inch flavour
    Ride a 16 inch 456 at the mo.
    Anyone owned both?
    What are your thoughts.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Similar but the PA feels sturdy and looks more refined to me. I had a 525 mk2 PA which was great (I got a mk1 some time after I replaced it too) and think the 725/853 will be even better.

Mud clearance is ok, not tight but not particularly generous if you’ve got chubby tyres like a big 2.2.

Haven’t owned a 456 but helped a friend build one and ridden it a bit.

If you get the chance to try a Blue Pig X I really recommend it. I loved my PAs but my BPx is in another league. More room for clagg, slacker and more twangy in the rear as well as having 30.9 dropperability and a larger head tube.

Which version of the PA are you being offered?

Are we talking about a Mk1 Reynolds 520 Prince Albert?

If my memory is correct, only the first few hundred Prince Albert frames were 520, then the rest have been 853 and 725, with the current ones (the PA Classic) now being 853 again.

SOAP
    Free Member

Yes I recon it must be a mk1.

mangoridebike

mk 1 has an extra bit of metal, which makes it easier to identify

BillOddie

Having spent ALOT of time (Summer season in Alps, a trip to BC/Alberta) on an original Mk1 520 PA and then swapping to a Ragley BluePig (Mk1), I’m probably partially qualified to answer this.

I would suggest that you won’t feel that much difference between an old style 456 and PA.

However if you try a 456 Evo or BluePig (X) you will notice a big difference.
    The PA with a 130 or 140mm fork, tended to tuck under when things started to get hairy. The BP doesn’t do this as the HA is soooo slack.

I think your choice depends on what sort of riding and how a long a fork you plan on putting on the bike.

Up to 130mm, and slightly flatter terrain. Go PA.

Over 130mm, and steeper terrain. Go BP.

Also a factor for me was the fact that having had a 17.5in PA, they changed the sizing to 17.0in, which meant even more seatpost out of the frame or going up to a 19in.
    I currently ride an 18in Bluepig.

HermanShake
    Free Member

That’s a mk2, it has those lovely dropouts, price aint bad.

Edit; looks like it’s been bought!

stanfree
    Free Member

I sold a 17″ 456 for a 15.5″ PA and much prefer the latter. Maybe Its because I went a size smaller but It just feels quicker and more fun. The 456 actually felt like a bit of a dog when I bought it but I swapped my Bomber 44’s for Rockshox Rev’s which helped. The PA is great bike though and I’d love a 29er Prince Albert is such a thing exists.

SOAP
    Free Member

I now own that one 🙂
    So it’s a mk2
    And will be running 150 Uturn Sektors wound down to 130, atlas FR bars and Deore brakes.

HermanShake
    Free Member

You’ll love it, give 140mm a consideration; it’s reet good.

Tom83

Yeah ran mind with 140mm revs, lovely bike going down, bit wandery on the climbs even with a 70mm stem.

I’d buy another one in a flash though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How dose a 520 Dialled PA compare to a 456’ is closed to new replies.