• This topic has 20 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How does this route in the Verbier area look to you?
  • jhw
    Free Member

Hi, would be great if you could share any tips – I will have a month off in September (both a good and bad thing…) and I’m thinking of spending a lot of it in the Alps near Verbier. I’ll already have ridden with Bike Verbier earlier in the summer in a group, so this trip is more about exploring the area independently, either by myself or more likely as a pair. I’ll be staying in different places each evening. The whole point is specifically not to have a guide, and to explore a bit, but I don’t want to head out there with no idea of where’s good.

Those of you who know the area – what do you think of the big (110km) loop I’ve set out below (in somewhat obsessive fashion)? It goes from Verbier – Sembrancher – Champex – La Fouly – St Bernard – Bourg St Pierre – Lourtier – Verbier.

Will this be enough to keep me occupied for a good few days and am I missing anything classic? I was also looking at heading up from Bagnes past the Mauvoisin dam over the Col de la Fenetre Durand and then down into the Aosta valley, if the below won’t keep me occupied for the week.

All this stuff is mainly south of Verbier – I wonder if there’s anything more to the north/east, or around Lourtier.

Verbier – Sembrancher:

Sembrancher – Issert:

Issert – La Fouly:

La Fouly – Gd St Bernard – dam:

Dam – Lourtier:

Lourtier – Verbier:

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Have you done the Grand Raid Cristalp? That uses trails mainly north & east of Verbier, riding through several villages and finishing in Grimentz (sp?).

The event next year is August 20th, if your still about then it is well worth doing.

You might be able to get some info from my Garmin connect trace of the ride, here

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks – just checked out a Youtube of that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAe6Z4SC0lQ) – it looks like a great race (7:30!).

The descent into Italy from Durand looks sweet http://www.alpavista.ch/Alp11/2007/07/20/fenetre-de-durand-07/

What have I missed?

jhw
    Free Member

Repost, in summary:

– I’m spending September or October in the Verbier area (could also spend it in Chamonix but thinking Verbier at this point)
    – keen to spend a while exploring the area myself or in a group of 2, but with no guide, perhaps staying in different hotels/refuges each night
    – have mapped out a route (below) taking me from Verbier, up and behind the Pierre Avoi, down to Champex and then to La Fouly, up to Fenetre and down Gr St Bernard to Bourg St Pierre, up to Col de Mille, down to Lourtier, and back to Verbier.
    – interested to hear thoughts on this, or other ideas. I worry this route has too much boring fire road along valley floors. It’s high altitude, ridgeline singletrack I’m looking for!
    – also looking at the ride from Bagnes past Mauvoisin dam up to Fenetre Durand and down into the Aosta valley
    – I probably won’t have a car, and I’ll have spent a week with Bike Verbier earlier in the summer
    – Thanks!

mrmo
    Free Member

Reading your dates, i have been to Verbier in late august a few times and had snow at higher levels, so beaware if your looking to push this into October you might have issues.

jhw
    Free Member

September it is then.

I suppose it’s difficult to provide specific trail details on here – it might detract from Bike Verbier’s business (query whether there should be a monopoly on trail knowledge in this fashion though), and those maps have come out a bit too small – but can anyone point me roughly in the direction of the best stuff, e.g. vague landmarks, towns etc.?

scruff
    Free Member

If your spending a week with BV be an extra nice guest, buy Lucy Phil some perfume or a pretty handbag & plonk the route on the table and ask them.

jhw
    Free Member

Probably the most reasonable course of action! Bribery never fails

Sanny
    Free Member

Day 1 and 2 look like a lot of fireroad or carrying up what may be better as descents. The climb up to Pierre Avoir would be a bit of a ballache the higher you get. Lots of switchbacks and would be a lot of pushing. You’d do far better dropping west off the Verbier side of Pierre Avoir and cutting onto the top section of the ultimate then heading across to erection section as a traversey descent.

Phil and Lucy are super cool and can point you in the right direction. On day 2, I’d consider doing an offroad climb over the Grand St Bernard Pass as a possible option. Ridden it as a descent but it would make for a pretty good climb.

I’d also consider a traverse of the mountains to the south of verbier. I’ve ridden in both directions several times and there are some cracking options. Ideally, you want to be climbing on fireroads and traversing and descending on the narrower stuff. A lot of the footpaths up would be nothing more than a humff with the bike on your back.

Be prepared for carrying at points!

Day 4 looks pretty full on!

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks, that is helpful. Carrying is expected!

That sounds good – I’d read on here that the Fenetre – La Fouly stretch was better as a descent, so I’ll climb up the Gr St Brnd way instead, doing the above in reverse effectively. And maybe just miss the valley from La Fouly – Champex as it looks very mediocre judging by the contour lines/GE. All subject to what’s discussed when I get out there, when probably the whole plan will change. This will probably end up in some kind of adventure from Verbier down the Val Ferret way into Italy. I know there’s good stuff in the Lourtier vicinity too.

What I need is a good guide to the hiking trails in the area – sort of like Hilary Sharp’s book on Chamonix – to get me started.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Jhw, if you get the maps out when you are in Verbier i will help you with the parts of the route i know.
    Phil

jhw
    Free Member

Quality, cheers!

wl
    Free Member

Sack the tour and do an extra week or two with Bike Verbier. Failing that, ask Phil & Lucy what’s what – they’re ridiculously knowledgeable and totally sound.

jhw
    Free Member

Looks like that’s the best thing – thanks!

ash

Cupid – Don’t you think you should be talking to the powers that be first? Looking at that route, it looks like you may need our mate’s permission to send JHW down some of those trails, ALRIGHT ;D

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

He will be happy as long as we give him times and dates and don’t wander from the path. 😆

ash

Not even for a p15s?

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

You must let a little bit out every 10 seconds whilst riding, then you don’t get really wet.

jhw
    Free Member

who’s your mate?

ash

The Man In Charge (a bit like Jacob in “Lost”)

jhw
    Free Member

I envisage this scene arising

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How does this route in the Verbier area look to you?’ is closed to new replies.