Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How does the Trouties Lumen Liberator Compare To Exposure Maxx Daddy?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

as above really i have a mk3 maxx daddy, which on full runs at 1200 lumens (not sure if this theoretical or actual as hope are now desribing)….

i run it mostly on full and its pretty bright very white and crisp..

what advantage if any would switching the to the liberator give me? does it have a wider beam? clearer crisp vision?

i like the idea of my maxx daddy mounted on bars and hassle free, but at the moment with a edge800 on the stem im finding it hard to get the maxx daddy central (as the unit collides with the edge on the stem) so i have to run it slightly wide to one side of the bars (not ideal)…the liberator is raised slightly from the pics and looks like it could be used very central to the stem and not mess with the position of the edge on my stem? can anyone confirm this?

also as i would not be able to run the battery pack on the stem do you get a long cable to run it in a back pack?

as the liberator on medium setting is slightly less than the maxx daddy would i notice much difference in output compared to maxx on full, though i see the endurance option is available which even allow on boost for 3 hours plus…

any info appreciated….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

or just some general thoughts on the liberator if nobody has doen the maxx daddy switch over

organic355
    Free Member

how much you want for your Maxx-d?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm not sure yet buddy, its only been used for about 2 months from brand new….

depends really if im gaining a great deal with the liberator really or whether its just a waste swapping for one….

organic355
    Free Member

You can get a new maxx-d mk4 at the moment for £246, so that will give you an idea of what your mk3 is worth?

T1000
    Free Member

Liberator feels outclassed in the lumens war compared to the newer dominator
    However it feels brighter than hope 4 and exposure offerings prefer the pool of light
    Around the front wheel especially on techy trails like Cwmcarn dh with other lights you can’t get away without a helmet light
    Been Using one of the early liberators with no problems

stoney
    Free Member

I run a Lib and it`s awsome. 1700 measured lumens, not too wider beam and throws a nice ammount of light down in front of the wheel. 😛

Ive never been near a Max d, so i cant compare….sorry! 😉

The Libs are priced at £230 in his sale at the mo.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Maxxd has a wide beam do you think running it 3 inches to the side is meaning you cant ride to your full potential ?

Fixing a light to your bars and putting the battery in your pack – yep that wont get real old real quck !

Stick the liberator on yer helmet leave maxx d where it is 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i do like my maxx daddy – i love the effortless ness and its really handy as a torch for after rides etc getting changed….problem is im not willing to remove the edge from the stem (as its most secure there) and the mount for my max daddy needs to sit on the thickest/widest part of the bars otherwise it doesnt secure very well, the last few rides as its not quite on the thicket bit of the bars it has spun around on rocky terrain leaving me with a light pointing to the floor 🙁

if there was a way around it then i wouldnt be selling it, ive asked exposure for some advice about 2 weeks back but had no reply!

jedi

i got a dominator. blimey its stoopid bright on high! 🙂

stoney
    Free Member

I too have the Dominator, i run the lib up top now 😉

Mucho light 😯

Coleman
    Free Member

Older model brackets came complete with a plastic reducer shim (for 25.4 bars). I’m pretty sure one of these plus a thin rubber strip will enable you to clamp on the thinner section nearer the brake levers. The newer brackets don’t come with these but I reckon Exposure would send you one if asked. Piccie of older bracket below with the shim inside.

http://www.exposurelights.com/uploads/IMG_1567_72dpi.jpg

bigbloke
    Free Member

Another Dominator user here too, superb light.

devs
    Free Member

Lack of caps and punctuation 9/10.

Unable to ride at less than 1200 lumens 9/10.

Unable to ride with 1200 lumens slightly to the side 9/10.

As trail rat says, strapping bike and pack together 10/10.

Excellent work there. 🙂

carlos
    Free Member

Dave,

let me know when your out next and (bout time we sorted it out :Dif) if can make it, you can compare like for like with my Lib 3

Carl

grtdkad

Troute’s Liberator is ace – with a great spread of light where you need it. I’ve had mine for a while now and run it with the endurance battery so you never really need to think about battery life.

Obviously his new Dominator takes things to another level and with up to 5 light settings so its not overkill when you don’t need it.
    I rode the prototype Dominator back in the summer and hi-setting for the high speed / sketchy bits was brilliant.

showerman
    Free Member

old innertube raped around bar,pull it good and thight sticks like glue to the bars and light will never move

jimjam
    Free Member

showerman

old innertube raped around bar,pull it good and thight

Oh you rough bastard.

belugabob
    Free Member

Have you considered something like this…
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/bar-x-tender-ec007790
    …I’ve seen several variations on this theme, so you might be able to find something suitable.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Does running your MaXx-D central, or 1cm to the side really matter when you’re trying to illuminate an area several metres wide?

Alternately, you could mount your Garmin on the bars, on the other side of the stem. I do this and, yes, when standing next to the bike I can wobble the Garmin more freely fore and aft when I grab it with my hand and move it, but in reality, out on the trails, it sits still and I don’t notice ant vibration, I just used the smaller o-rings that were supplied with the mount kit.

Buying a £300 light seems a pretty extreme solution!

(Written by a Garmin 800 & MaXx-D user on several different bikes)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How does the Trouties Lumen Liberator Compare To Exposure Maxx Daddy?’ is closed to new replies.