Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • how does rockshox motion control work…?
  • wheeliejim
    Free Member

I’m servicing my rockshox reba motion control at the moment and I wonder if someone could explain how the damping circuit works..?

Stoner
    Free Member
    wheeliejim
    Free Member

Great – thanks!

wheeliejim
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve read that, and sorry for being thick, but I don’t quite get what’s going on with the oil in the damper?

If anyone else isn’t down the pub, could they explain it over a virtual pint (my round)?!

Stoner
    Free Member

its moving through the hole in the bottom plate. Oil is more viscous than air so it moves through the hole relatively slowly (or at different speeds depending on the setting – i.e. diameter of the hole)

The damper is otherwise sealed so the whole thing can only moves as fast the oil moves through the hole.

njee20
    Free Member

I took the MoCo out of my Rebas, and have done it with my SIDs. I can’t tell any difference, luddite that I am. I never used the lockout, and fail to see any other performance difference. What am I actually missing!?

Stoner
    Free Member

depending on your weight, how you ride and the trails you ride, possibly nothing. But also, possibly quite a bit of control/grip that you could have. It wont kill you though.

avdave2

It wont kill you though.

That kind of depends on when you discover you don’t have

quite a bit of control/grip that you could have

doesn’t it

njee20
    Free Member

But what does it actually do, why would it provide more grip? Does it just stop it blowing through it’s travel? Tim Flooks berated me for doing it on my Rebas, but I never really got a reason why it was so bad. I can understand if I used the lockout, and used it as a ‘platform’, with the Flood Gate. But in an unlocked fork, what does it do?

I’ve never noticed any detrimental performance without the MoCo damper, fork still works fine, just weighs 100g less!

wheeliejim
    Free Member

On the compression stroke, does the oil go through the ports on the piston AND the port in the mo-co.

Otherwise I can’t see how the piston would move at all.

Is there any air in the equation?

mboy
    Free Member

njee

have you got any damping at all now, or just a 100mm air sprung fork without any damping?

njee20
    Free Member

Got rebound, no compression damping. Like I say, no one’s ever really managed to tell me what it should do! How would it give me more grip?

The fork doesn’t appear to blow through it’s travel any more than before, it’s only 100mm after all! Suspect it’d be much more noticeable on a longer travel fork.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

I thought the ports on the piston did the rebound damping and the port on the mo-co did the compression damping.

njee20
    Free Member

Seems to be a separate rebound damper… Twiddling the lever still has a marked effect on rebound speed anyway!

mboy
    Free Member

I always leave my Revelations fully open on the compression damping. I find if I run any on it, then they feel like they spike too much. So you may have a point on a 100mm Reba. Personally I much prefer a very active fork, rather than an overdamped one, and I never use lockout either.

But I’m not especially heavy (12 stone), maybe I should be running slightly lighter oil than standard to get the desired effect in my forks perhaps?

njee20
    Free Member

I’m 10.5 stone, with 50% less travel!

retro83
    Free Member

mboy – Member
    I always leave my Revelations fully open on the compression damping. I find if I run any on it, then they feel like they spike too much. So you may have a point on a 100mm Reba. Personally I much prefer a very active fork, rather than an overdamped one, and I never use lockout either.

But I’m not especially heavy (12 stone), maybe I should be running slightly lighter oil than standard to get the desired effect in my forks perhaps?

Open the floodgate a bit.

The description Stoner has posted misses out a key point, without tuning the floodgate to a fairly light setting, you are essentially running a port orifice fork (hence the spiking).
    I have my LSC (blue dial) set to about 3/4 closed, and floodgate about 4 clicks from open. This gives minimal dive, but fully active on bumps

wheeliejim – Member
    On the compression stroke, does the oil go through the ports on the piston AND the port in the mo-co.

Otherwise I can’t see how the piston would move at all.

Is there any air in the equation?

Yes, the bottom part (rebound damper) has a check valve which allows oil to flow freely on compression, but though the limited size rebound port on rebound.
    When the rebound pushrod enters the stanchion, it displaces some oil, this is what the swiss-cheese part acts on.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

When the rebound pushrod enters the stanchion, it displaces some oil, this is what the swiss-cheese part acts on.

Eurika!! Now I see!! Thank you!
    So it follows the volume of oil transferred through the mo-co port = the volume of the piston rod.

So to allow this to happen, I guess the air sitting in the top of the mo-co either compresses or gets pushed out and sucked back in again.

I read somewhere that apparently a lot of motion control units “leak air” (and oil)

To me, it sounds like mine is farting air out the top (for want of a better way of putting it 🙂 )

Is this supposed to be happening, or should that little bit of air be contained/compressed?

retro83
    Free Member

wheeliejim – Member
    Eurika!! Now I see!! Thank you!
    So it follows the volume of oil transferred through the mo-co port = the volume of the piston rod.

So to allow this to happen, I guess the air sitting in the top of the mo-co either compresses or gets pushed out and sucked back in again.

I read somewhere that apparently a lot of motion control units “leak air” (and oil)

To me, it sounds like mine is farting air out the top (for want of a better way of putting it )

Is this supposed to be happening, or should that little bit of air be contained/compressed?

🙂

I’m not sure about the air to be honest. I did wonder if it acts a bit like an IFP on a rear shock, helping to prevent cavitation in the oil.
    I do know that you’re not supposed to change the oil height as you could in a Marzocchi fork, maybe too much internal pressure would bust the little skirt seal at the top or the o-ring at the seal head ❓

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘how does rockshox motion control work…?’ is closed to new replies.