Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How does one recover/reset a router password?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Say someone was muppetish enough to forget his router password…

…any easy way to reset/recover it?

😳

EDIT: this would be the one others need to log onto the WiFi bit.

jam-bo

Press the reset button.

sniff
    Free Member

As above – with a pin

marsdenman
    Free Member

i simply turn my router over where, helpfully, the manufacturer placed a sticker containing important info like passwords…
    BT one we had had a sticker, current Thompson one also has a sticker – I had reason to look at it yesterday for exactly the same reason you describe 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, if I reset with a pin, it still keeps the password needed to log on to the WiFi bit doesn’t it?

i simply turn my router over where, helpfully, the manufacturer placed a sticker containing important info like passwords…

No, this would be a password I set myself…that I cannae remember.

mossimus
    Free Member

You need to access the router admin page. For this you wil need to find ip address of your router.
    Run IPCONFIG from a windows command prompt on pc, the address of the default gateway will be your router. Enter this IP address into a web browser and you should get to the router admin page, the WEP key will be in there somwhere.

bruneep

if you press the reset button it and here’s the clue it resets its self to the default setting.

admin

password

jon1973
    Free Member

No, this would be a password I set myself…that I cannae remember.

But if you reset it, it will revert to the default factory password, which will be printed on the back or in the instructions.

geoffj

There’ll be a way to restore it to the factory settings using some combination of button presses on it.
    RTFM or google it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

if you press the reset button it and here’s the clue it resets its self to the default setting.

Then my iPhone wouldn’t automatically log on to the wireless network when in the vicinity would it?

Run IPCONFIG from a windows command prompt on pc

Ermmmm….[whispers]….mac

geoffj

Bruneep & jon

The reset button does not restore to factory settings on some models.

jon1973
    Free Member

Ermmmm….[whispers]….mac

The ip for the router will probably be sommit like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Type that in to a browser address bar and it should prompt you for the userid / password (the one printed on the back, if you;ve reset it)

bruneep

so what is the router make and model?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a Belkin N-wireless Modem Router
    Model F5D8633-4

Sorry, I’m not much good at this stuff.

Every year, I forget a bleedin’ password on something important.

There are yoofs in the house who may go crazy if they don’t get on facebook etc soon on their iPods :-S

marsdenman
    Free Member

DD – good to see someone has a greater sense of security than I….

last thing I can think – you’ll know the make and model of your router so may be worth googling the 192 code used to access it for maintenance / setup – that’s what the guys at apple tech help had me doing yesterday when they helped me through with borked WI-FI – I now know how to get in and change things such as passwords…

code will be (i think it’s ‘generic’, someone more PC savvy than I will doubtless point out if I’m wrong)
    192.168.1.*** – the stars being the 3 digits that are specific to your router make / brand.
    If you are on a mac, and (presumably) connected to the router by wire, go to System Preferences – Network and there’s a heading ‘Router’ – that gives you said code.
    Hope that helps……

edit – too slooooooooooow – still – you got the idea now!

geoffj
    Jamie
    Free Member

Deadly.

Assuming you can access the WiFi via your mac already then the password should be saved in your keychain.

Go to Finder > Applications > Utilites Folder > Keychain Access

Select System from the right hand pane. Hopefully your router SSID, the name that you gave your router, should be listed in the main window somewhere.

Double click on it.

Check the show password box.

Enter your system password, assuming you remember that 😉

Hit allow if a window pops up asking for keychain access.

Hopefully your password should be displayed.

FuzzyWuzzy

So you can log onto your router but just not the WiFi? If so you can change the WiFi password once you’re logged onto the router (as someone else posted it will be the default gateway IP on your mac). If you don’t know either you’ll need to reset it but that will lose all it’s config so make sure you have your ISP details ready as well…

seanodav
    Free Member

Cant you put in the cd rom and get it that way?

bruneep

This is like dealing with my mother-in-law?

nbt

I would connect via a cable and then go to http://192.168.0.1/ and change the wifi password from there…

geoffj

nbt wins!

j_me
    Free Member

If you’re on a mac to recover your WEP key do the following:

Use Finder to locate “KeyChain Access”
    Launch “KeyChain Access”
    Double click the WiFi link you want
    Click Show Password
    Enter you mac root password
    et voila

Of course this is all completely useless if you’ve already launched in gung ho and reset your router. HTH.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jamie FTW!

If you ever decide you like men… 😉

bruneep

bet he hasna got a cable tho.. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m now changing it to JamieFTW2010 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

gung ho

The last time I went in gung ho, I hurt my bits.

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy:
    Jamie FTW!

If you ever decide you like men…

An invoice will be with you shortly. 8)

Milkie
    Free Member

Do what most clueless people do, go and buy another one. 😆

Or swear n curse and ask a 14 year old to fix it, or a hit it with a hammer.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How does one recover/reset a router password?’ is closed to new replies.