Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How does a newsagent decide….
  • stany
    Free Member

…what to put on his top shelf?
    I regularly pass a newsagents on my dog walk that has a colossal amount of grot on his top shelf. A double row of the stuff.
    So how does he decide what goes up there?
    Does he (I’m assuming he on this occasion) proof read each title to ensure consistent quality?
    Or does the publisher simply provide quite a few dozen options and he blindly chucks it up there?
    And I’m assuming there’s still a market for this stuff.
    Just something I mull over while out for my afternoon stroll

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Who buys paper grot these days?

RobHilton
    Free Member

I and my boss used to read literally every magazine in the shop when I worked in a newsagent – something to pass the time. We had a phase of ordering in some very niche tug books with no intention of putting them on the shelves. Sale or return is a great thing.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I think the remaining scuzzy newsagents are now Listed properties. So the top shelf selection is probably agreed by the National Trust and Unesco.

lucien

Perhaps he tries before he buys?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Dunno. But vaguely related I used to deliver grumble to one house with the Sunday papers. Always thought it was a bit weird!

Pieface

I heard a customer having a detailed discussion about the merits if each title and the sellers intentions if which new titles to get in. They were both enthusiastic and unassuming about their common interest

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How does a newsagent decide….’ is closed to new replies.