• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How do you transfer music from iPod to iPhone not purchased from iTunes?
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

My old iPod Nano has all my cd’s stored on it. The problem is my computer has been replaced and now long gone that I used to do it with. I now have an iPhone and would like to transfer all my music across but cannot for the life of me find out how to do it – it can be that hard can it? Please help 🙂

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Sorry cant help but you are describing one of the reasons which has lead to me going Android not iphone

You can get your own legitimate stuff off an ipod, its just not that easy
    Google is your friend

Best of luck

jambalaya
    Free Member

You need another base computer with iTunes on it, you can then get the music off the iPod and onto that before copying it onto to iPhone. The vast majority of my music is ripped from cds and imported in iTunes, ie not purchased online and that works fine. I would add that you should treat the iPod/iPhone as the playing device and regard the base computer as the primary store, you can just access the iTunes store and purchase everything that way and have itunes store hold your music but it’s not what I do.

Skyliner
    Free Member

I’ve got another pc with iTunes on so how do I get it off the iPod and onto the PC?

CountZero

No, it’s not hard, but not being able to transfer music back off an iPod was the price Apple had to pay for setting up iTunes, otherwise the recording industry would not have played ball.
    There is software available that allows you to copy back from an iPod, some free, but with limitations, or paid for, which is more versatile. It’s something I had to do once, after managing to lose 80Gb of music from my laptop, which was distressing.
    What bitrate is your music ripped at on the Pod?
    Reason I ask is that if it’s all at 256kb, you could connect the Pod to iTunes, and upload it into iCloud, then download it back onto your computer.
    Meanwhile, I’ll see if I can find out what I used to copy back with, my PpowerBook is out of commission at the mo’, and I don’t think I have it on my Mini.
    Right, here you go:
    http://www.theboysdownunder.com/ipod2itunes/

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just visit ilounge.com they have loads of FAQs on this.

slowoldman

You can’t synchronise back to iTunes from the iPod. You need to do some fiddling about or use 3rd party software.
    Try here:
    http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Get_Your_Music_Off_of_Your_iPod

I can’t comment on how easily it works as I’ve never had to do it – I’ve always had an iTunes backup so I could start again if it all went TU.

toppers3933
    Free Member

If you open it in iTunes and set the pod to allow data storage but clearly don’t sync it or it will delete the iPod. You can then upen ‘my computer’ and find the iPod in there. The music can be found in a file that is greyed out but you can change that. Once you locate this file you can copy it over to the PC. Once that is done you can then just import it into iTunes and start again. Done it’s few times but not for a couple of years hence I’m a bit vague. I’ve posted a link on here before now but I can seem to find it. It’s a bit time consuming but it’s relatively easy and free.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys, bitrate is mostly at 128kb. I’ll have a look at some of the links/ideas you’ve kindly posted and let you know how I get on.

CountZero

This might be useful as well: http://ipodbackup.ipod-to-computer.net/transfer-ipod-to-iphone.html
    Oh, and iTunes Match, which is what I was thinking of earlier, will match your iTunes library, once you have your music back in iTunes, and upgrade it to 256Kb/sec.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Will Copy trans do it?

I use copy trans to put music etc onto my iPhone to skip iTunes, because I hate ITunes with a passion. It might do other Apple devices too.
    EDIT
    It looks like it will
    Clicky

mattbee

I used some free software from a link on here the last time it was asked to do the same thing. Was really easy..

Drac

You can get your own legitimate stuff off an ipod, its just not that easy

Copy into the library and send it to your device. Yeah a real challenge.

DezB
    Free Member

Last time there was a thread about transferring content from iPod to PC, I tested a bit of (free) software called
    Syncios
    Very good.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Sorted and now listening to all my faves!! Had a good scout about using the links above but this one did the trick from slowoldman

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Get_Your_Music_Off_of_Your_iPod

And there I was thinking Apple products were intuitive. Cheers guys.

xiphon
    Free Member

128k quality?

Download a 320k rip…

(If he purchased the CDs originally, and now they’re lost, where’s the issue?)

Drac

Closing this thread as it’s a spam magnet.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How do you transfer music from iPod to iPhone not purchased from iTunes?’ is closed to new replies.