Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How do you stop your feet freezing?
  • Carpediem
    Free Member

I wear Shimano M122 SPD's and my feet are getting soooooo cold it's not funny! Well My Toes to be precise.I've tried wearing 2 pairs of socks, even putting little plastic bags ( sad i know ) between socks, and my little digits are still going numb after an hour or so.

what do the wise on here do?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You've possibly got them done up too tight, or stuffed them with so many socks it's had the same effect. Looser shoes do help the warm blood flow better!

wors
    2hottie
    Free Member

I found wearing one pair of socks and letting your feet have a little room to move to get the air around them helps me out.

mtbfix

Assuming that you fit Shimano shoes then have a look at this thread – http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-shimano-mw80-shoes

Alex

Merino inner sock, then a ground effect "toasty" outer sock, Spesh Defrosters in a one size bigger than I'd normally have so lots of room in toe box. Works a treat.

uplink
    Free Member

Have you always suffered from cold feet?
    If so – you may not find a solution

There's a few threads on here with loads of suggestions for guaranteed toastie toes – but there's a few of us here where nothing works & you just learn to live with it

I spent many years & many £00's trying to solve it – to no avail
    I've got boots that fit from Lake, Shimano & Gearne – I've also got a similar number of boots that are 1 & 2 sizes bigger & worn them with thick socks, thin socks, Sealskins etc.
    I've worn them tight, slack & everywhere in-between – tried all the stuff for keeping legs & core warm

Nothing works – it's a circulation thing

I'm not saying it won't work for you but be prepared to be disappointed

joolsburger
    Free Member

I feel the cold badly.

I use these http://www.injinji.com/tetratsok/p_mini.htm dont laugh because they are utterly fantastic

bonesetter
    Free Member

What about those heat warmer pads that golfer's wear?

Bit like bad back heat pads, you pull them off the sticky which activatres them and they stay warm for 4 hours. They come in the shape of a top half of a foot

samuri
    Free Member

Is it just your toes? Could be a circulation issue when you're pressing on the SPDS's

For me, Northwave Celcius boots and two pairs of thin socks work great.

Daffy

Flat pedals (your feet move more than in rigid boots), warm shoes (for obvious reasons), merino socks (cos sealskins are shite) and some overshoes (these are the clincher).

I used to suffer fom chronic cold feet… the overshoes over anytype of footwear solved it.

jonb
    Free Member

I use Nookie "titanium" neoprene socks and they are great.

What are you wearing on your legs? Try and keep your ankles and legs warm so the blood isn't being cooled by the time it reaches your feet.

Try putting a buff under your helmet.

Carpediem
    Free Member

My body, arm's & legs are like toast, no problemo.Just the feet.Never suffered from cold feet before I used SPD's.

I think maybe I just need to suck it up for the next month or two.Perhaps move the cleat on the shoe as far back as possible so there's more toe movement too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try pre heating your shoes on the radiator for an hour before you put them on. Overtightening the laces / straps also cause problems.

Dougal
    Free Member

Overshoes. Don't inhibit circulation as they're an extra layer on the outside.

bonesetter
    Free Member
    stealthcat

Don't ride in SPDs in cold weather? Maybe it's just me, but I find having a nice cold cleat on the bottom of the shoe means my feet get much colder. 5 10's and merino socks seemed to be the right answer for me this morning…

Goz
    Free Member

Medium thickness socks, a shoe thats looser fitting and then overshoes…nice and toastie…or stay at home in front of a warm open fire 🙄

thefallguy
    Free Member

Medium thickness socks, a shoe thats looser fitting and then overshoes…nice and toastie

+1

Bert
    Free Member

I have always had this problem untill I bought a pair of Endura MT500 overshoes. They are brilliant, I was out in -5 degrees last week and my feet were toasty. They keep your feet dry aswell.

Goz
    Free Member

That combo has kept me warm even at -6…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Over shoesa re the answer, I got some last week after initially getting wet feet on a roadie ride, and then proper cold tootsies on my commute.

Got some £15
    BBB Heavy Duty ones
    and they're great, fit over normal MTB style shoes with ease.

Or you could get the roadie answer – turbo trainer for the next 3 months 😆

RoterStern
    Free Member

Using flats will help as you have two very good metal cold conductors attached to your feet (SPD pedals and cleats) and this is where the cold eventually finds its way in even you are using winter boots and overshoes as I do when the weather dips way below freezing.

AlasdairMc

I stopped wearing my summer riding shoes as they've got mesh fronts for increased windchill, and now wear Vans on flats and am toasty.

Socks are Sealskinz over twin skin running socks.

rootes1

same as hands, helps if you can also keep you legs/arms warm as if they are cold they cool the blood going to the feet/hands.

i test some new stuff out last night in the snow.

on bottom half, gore winter bib tights, 3/4 baggies over the top.

brigdale super thick over knee hiking socks under tights, summer shimano shoes and them endura neoprene overshoes mt500..

feet were sweating!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How do you stop your feet freezing?’ is closed to new replies.