Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • How do you pronounce 'circa'?
  • geminafantasy
    Free Member

Need to know for an upcoming public talk…

I always thought it was ‘sirka’, now I’ve been thrown by an Oxford professor and author of several books pronounce it in a speech ‘kirka’.

I was sure it was ‘sirka’ but who am I to question such pedigree? I’ll leave it to the great minds of STW to clear this one up for me 😀

Lifer
    Free Member

sirka. What are they a professor of?

trailmonkey

surka

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sirka

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

an Oxford professor and author of several books pronounce it in a speech ‘kirka’

If it was a Coventry professor, would you be similarly swayed?

It’s sirka, surka, shmirkay…

Underhill
    Free Member

As above. As I understand the rule is soft “c” when it’s followed by “i”

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t he being faithful to the original latin? Which is not necessarily appropriate in English of course.

plodtv
    Free Member

ser-rick-ka

kakakakaka

mrmo
    Free Member

how do you say circle? kircle?

geminafantasy
    Free Member

It was Richard Dawkins to be precise 🙂

Molgrips, thats what I thought, just as Julius Caesar was know as ‘Kaiser’, just wasn’t sure if that pronunciation was still the same for circa as it is a latin word, not an Anglicised latin word.

DrP

“around”.
    No need to be uber fancy.

DrP

seosamh77
    Free Member

“around”.

DrP

“roon aboot”

No need to be posh!

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a latin word in common English usage, so whilst it’s spelled the same it is now an English word of Latin origin.

That’s why we can use these words in Scrabble, and why English plurals of words like virus are acceptable.

oldgit
    Free Member

Circa – sirka as above.

Kirka – different altogether, means ‘ooh look at me with my hat on’

geminafantasy
    Free Member

DrP – Member
    “around”.

DrP

Even though they are synonyms, I have found if you use ‘circa’ it seems to give the impression you know what you’re talking about. If you say ‘around’ it sounds like you don’t have a clue 😕

Unless you don’t know how to pronounce circa that is, then you sound like a idiot 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You wanna sound dead posh right? It’s sir-car.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think it was Carl Sagan who said that “academic intelligence is no guarantee against being dead wrong.”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I have found if you use ‘circa’ it seems to give the impression you know what you’re talking about. If you say ‘around’ it sounds like you don’t have a clue

Absolutely. I use all sorts of posh words on here which I often haven’t a clue how to pronounce.
    All with the aim of sounding as if I actually know what I’m talking about.

I reckon I even get away with it sometimes………..the fine and noble art of bullshitting is a highly underrated one imo.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you can’t dazzle ’em with brilliance baffle ’em with bullshit?

stealthcat

Oxford professors pronounce it wrong to show they’ve been to Oxford…

(says an ex-Cambridge Classicist)

Cougar

It’s pronounced Throatwobbler-Mangrove.

academic intelligence is no guarantee against being dead wrong

aka “false authority syndrome.”

molgrips
    Free Member

Or insufferable geek syndrome. People who say ‘dah-ta’ instead of ‘day-ta’ because it’s more accurate to the original Latin.. despite every man and his dog saying ‘day-ta’.

higgo
    Free Member

And…. using ‘data’ in the plural.

Yes, I know data is the plural of datum but it doesn’t follow that data has to be plural i.e “the data suggest that….”, Data can (and very often is) singular when it refers to a set so, in fact it is “the data (set, singular) suggests that….”

Anyway, I’ve had a pleasant evening tonight and I’m off to bed.

konabunny
    Free Member

I think you’ll find it’s sibbolet.

uplink
    Free Member

ah ……..middle class angst over pronunciation

SaxonRider

It’s simply that in classical Latin, ‘c’s were always pronounced hard, as in ‘k’. Hence the pronunciation ‘kirka’.

By the late antique period, and certainly by the middle ages, ‘c’s had taken on a soft aspect before certain vowels as well as when they occurred at the beginning of a word. Hence the pronunciation ‘sirka’.

That became the standard for anyone but pedants, so stick confidently with the pronunciation you are most familiar with.

‘Sirka’ it is.

aP
    Free Member

Spell it with a cedilla under the 2nd c then you can sound even more parvenu.

geoffj

about

konabunny
    Free Member

-ish

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Do you pronounce Cinelli as Chinelli or Sinelli?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s simply that in classical Latin, ‘c’s were always pronounced hard, as in ‘k’. Hence the pronunciation ‘kirka’

I expect that explains the hard C at the front of the word Celtic, and therefore proves that the football club have it wrong?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Thirka, like the Spanish

scaredypants

konabunny – Member
    I think you’ll find it’s sibbolet

Off with his head! 😈
    SHibbolet !

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘How do you pronounce 'circa'?’ is closed to new replies.