• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by s.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How do you orgainse your digital pics?
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

I’ve been putting it of for an age but I really need to sort them all out. I’ve just been throwing them in the pictures folder for the last few years and its now full of “New Folder 28” etc.

So how do you arrange? By month? event? year? etc etc

5thElefant
    Free Member

Download picasa and point it at your photos.

ourmaninthenorth

General by year
    Others by holiday/event etc by year

Via Picasa

oddjob
    Free Member

By Year and then month and then special things within the month like weddings or holidays. Easier to do it as you go along.

StirlingCrispin

Picasa.
    And then add keywords to the albums as required.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Everything onto Flickr, and then some rather obvious sets and groups. And for the very special photos, I have just had a load printed out into a book that I spent quite a long time designing on Blurb. £75 but it is something like 13″ x 19″ ish maybe (I forget) and there are many different layouts per page, from single photos to little collections.

cranberry
    Free Member

A new folder with the following information:

CCYY-MM-DD – <description of photos>

Naming/sorting by date ( year first ) means that everything stays nicely in order in your folders and it is easy to find a particular set of photos.

s
    Free Member

In year folders on a external HD, & also backed on Flickr.

Then each year I get a book printed (Blurb last year) for each year & it gets filed on my bookshelf 😉

I lost half a years photographs in 1999 because of a HD failure, this was before I used to print hard copies to a book!

GrahamS

When I can be arsed I use Bulk Rename Utility to rename them based on their Taken Date (from EXIF) in a similar style to cranberry there : YearMonthDay-sequencenumber subject

I have folders of photos by topic: e.g. Weddings, Holiday, Biking, Snowboarding etc

Not great but I can find what I need.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Wow that picasa is cool. Just downloaded and had a lil play.

Quick question on that front. Does it id tag the picture with face details etc or just within the programme?

For instance if I had a folder of pics that I organized at work and then copy and pasted them to a portable to take home would I have to re-tag every one etc?

vrapan
    Free Member

Try to use aperture + tags + names to sort out but it is a massive job.

GrahamS

In year folders on a external HD, & also backed on Flickr.

Doesn’t flickr recompress the photos at all? How much space do you get for backup? How much does it cost?

I’ve been looking at various online backup services like Mozy, Carbonite etc

s
    Free Member

Graham, the pro account is $25 a year apx., for that you get unlimited uploads and storage.

Should have mentioned that my camera has the option to takes raw(nef) files and JPG’s at the same time, so the NEF files stay on my HD & the jpg’s go flickr.

[edit] flickr does not let you upload raw files, not checked recently, but think its still the case..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Flickr says “unlimited” and is half price at the mo 🙂 [$25]

GrahamS

Hmmm that’s a good price compared to those backup services.

But I mainly want the NEFs backed up. I use CaptureNX so all the edits I do are saved into the NEF and churning out a new set of JPGs from the NEFs is pretty easy.

kudos100
    Free Member

adobe lightroom, then name of the shoot i.e bluebells, sam studio shoot etc

s
    Free Member

mypicture stores NEF files, but the costs vary depending on how much space you use (200gb is $30)

http://mypicturetown.com/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How do you orgainse your digital pics?’ is closed to new replies.