Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • How do you lock your bikes up in your shed/garage?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

I’m thinking ground anchor and really long cable?
    Will have one bike on the floor and one on the wall over it.
    Timber garage so not an option really to fix anything to the wall.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Mine are secured to a ladder and to a brick wall. The ladder stops the bikes being taken away easily. The bikes stop the ladder being used to break into an upstairs window. The ladder is secured in such a way as to make getting in through the window rather difficult.

I hope any thieving ned will look for something easier.

I need to include the lawnmower.

legend
    Free Member

Anchor – good
    Cable – bad. Too easy to get through with a decent set of bolt cutters.

I’d go for a decent chain instead

samuri
    Free Member

Too many to lock up. I assume no thief could make off with them all. Lets hope they’re a bit thick and steal the wrong ones. They’re all insured though.

I still live in hope that someone will steal one of my fixies, ride off and then stop pedalling at the first corner, where I will find them next morning lying next to my bike with their brains leaking out on the floor.

Northwind

Mine are parked behind a sacrificial motorbike. (also there’s the cunning defence mechanism that the front door isn’t attached to the garage any more so if you try and open it, it’ll fall on you along with about 100lbs of 90s Halfordz Sarcinz.

backinireland
    Free Member

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=1

Decent chain and ground anchor, forget about cycle locks, you don’t need anything portable so read reviews onmotorbike locks
    Almax seem to be one of best, I had one of their chains, was never tested but compared to anything else it seemed much heavier and chunkier

isitafox
    Free Member

One of the old mans old motorbike chains threaded through each bike frame (4 of) and then round a bar bolted to the wall.
    First though they have to enter the farmyard undetected by the 4 dogs outside including the one right opposite the sliding door where the bikes are kept which is pretty much beneath our bedroom!

trail_rat
    Free Member

rule number 1 of bike security…. dont talk about bike security on the internetz

jonba
    Free Member

Good solid structure with secure door for a garage.

Locked but not super dooper chains – if someone gets in to the garage then no lock will be enough – insurance!

Descrete to the passer by there are no bikes visible and I don’t display them on the street working/washing unless absolutely necessary.

Basil

Don’t.
    Shed targeted three times, insurance declined for shed. Now have a couple of racks on the wall in the living room with a wall anchor.
    I think they look great, my wife does not.

anagallis_arvensis

Has anyone had a shed or garage broken into and had thieves leave without bikes?

Basil

The last time the feckers took the ground anchor

CheesybeanZ

Rule 2 of bike security , read your insurance T&C . What do they say you should do as a minimum ?

wrightyson
    Free Member

My insurance won’t cover shed at top of garden so built one next to the house that now is a log store, tumble dryer room and bike store. Its secured with a lock but it’s covered up to 10k as it abuts the house.

marky29er
    Free Member

Brick shed but the wooden door is weak. I have a ground anchor with a 14mm chain and lock round top tube and a 10mm chain round bottom tube. Additionally an old d lock around back wheel onto a metal BBQ which is very noisy if moved!
    I live in a dump of an estate these days, not my choice, but its the safest I’ve ever felt with regards to theft, vandalism etc. (Touch wood).

julians
    Free Member

I have a ground anchor and a massive chain, hopefully it will be ok, but it hasnt been tested yet, thankfully

rubymurry
    Free Member

I live on a good estate been broken into twice once through door of garage second time they took roof off. Now I’ve got ram rods in front on the door, roof has got reinforced sheeting underneath, ground anchor with chain and cable and fitted a good alarm. Only other option I’ve thought of is to wire the bikes to the mains for the shock factor!!!!

loddrik
    Free Member

Sod sheds garages etc. mine go in the loft. It’s a **** getting them down but they ain’t going anywhere. (Quite literally at the moment unfortunately 🙁 )

dazz
    Free Member

Keep them in the house,

my garage door (that leads onto the road) is never used & has bolts going through the bottom & sides of the door into the floor & walls, so it couldn’t be opened, then the bikes were secured to the floor with a ground anchor & motorbike chain I always put the bikes away going through the house into the garage. It still got broken into (through the asbestos roof) the ground anchor was dug out of the floor & the garage door was cut open from inside, using my own bloody tools, all during the day & no one heard a thing, all this for a poxy old boardman & rockhopper.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Ground anchor and then an alarmed chain going through wheels. Another chain going round all the bikes. Bikes covers up with old card boxes so it just looks like a messy corner in the garage.

samuri
    Free Member

In my old house we just had a shed. We had one attempt to get into it but they just damaged the door a bit and then nicked a frame that was loose in the back yard. I saw it about a week later built up into a bike in one of those second hand shops in town. Asked the guy for the details of who brought it in telling him it was stolen and he said ‘prove it’. If it’d been worth anything I’d have gone to the police.

footflaps

Not had anyone steal a bike of mine since 1988 at University. However, my current security plan is just to sell all the nice stuff on Ebay, as I don’t ride that much anymore.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Mrs D won’t even let me put my surfboard on the wall in the lounge let alone my bikes.
    Ground anchor it is then with maybe one of those extra thick motorbike chains.
    May be a good point about the garage defender screaming “nick me”.
    Will go for concealed bolts inside.
    Might have to leave the wife’s bike in full view as a sacrificial offering to the thieving scrotes?

Spin
    Free Member

[Smug]You could move to the highlands so you don’t have to.

As a fringe benefit the riding is awesome.[Smug]

boxfish
    Free Member

Ground anchor? CHECK
    Pragmasis 16mm chain & mahoosive padlock? CHECK
    Wheels D-locked to workbench? CHECK

Bike thieves thwarted? CH…. er…. Ah…..bugger.

When they are prepared to saw your (Ti) frame up to steal the bike, and saw your workbench up to steal the wheels, there ain’t much you can do.

johnhe

I was surprised that after years of assuming my bikes were insured under my house insurance, I actually read the policy and found that they’re not covered unless they’re locked securely inside a locked garage!!!

Now I use simple, cheap bike locks to lock them to something fixed in the garage.

CHB

25mm steel ground anchor, mix of locks, CCTV and barky dog. Got done once in 2002 (my Vitamin T)…. Now seek to minimise risk!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Problem solved

mattsccm
    Free Member

You know that some gates etc have the lock surrounded by box with an opening for a padlock? Assuming the lock was, say up to your elbow away from the opening, do you reckon a bolt cropper would get in?
    Currently building a rack that will not be cut by anything less than a 9″ angle grinder or gas axe. Of course the sods could still cut the frame in two. Basically a vertical bar made of two railway tracks with a arm at right angle with slots for two top tubes. Got some 4″ solid for that job which will be enclosed by box. This has another captive rail that slides over it to trap the top tubes. Its locked by a hidden , as above lock that’s near the ground so long arm croppers won’t fit in and I doubt 12″ ones, that use most of that going up a sleeve will get through the padlock. Total overkill Contemplating something similar for wheels but will probably just use a big chain.

darrell
    Free Member

Fortunately I live somewhere were you can leave your garage open and bikes unlocked and they dont get stolen

dingabell
    Free Member

My dad used to have a tripwire tied to the door of his workshop and a dirty great sledgehammer hanging from the ceiling.
    He must have watched a certain Macaulay Culkin film or something?
    We had to tell him to lose it or he’d get arrested/sued by the burglar.
    Like his style though.

tomaso
    Free Member

After two break ins to my garage I am constructing a heavy duty bike locker with steel sheet over plyboard and chunky timber framework. It should make stealing them harder and generally more difficult.

Ground anchors motorcycle chains ulocks and an alarm are also I effect.

I am pondering a GPS bike tracker to find both my bike and the thieves.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I know they aren’t very aesthetically pleasing but does anyone use a small shipping container as a shed? The ones we have at work are pretty much impregnable to anything except an angle grinder or oxy acetylene torch. Not that expensive either if you have a lot of expensive gear to secure.

jam-bo

Fortunately I live somewhere were you can leave your garage open and bikes unlocked and they dont get stolen

this.

If I had to go to some of the lengths described above I’d be seriously considering moving house.

lowey

Got a steel box section with anchor tangs welded on and a hole in the top from a fabricator. Broke out a section of the concrete garage floor and concreted it in place. Kryptonite New York lock through the hole in the top then through the down tube of the bike.

The box section was also filled with wet concrete to stop it being ground away.

ninfan
    Free Member

2 bikes on hangers, d-locked frame to frame in the (brick) shed, and then chain to a wall anchor

another 2 d-locked frame to frame in the house, no wall anchor

maybe not perfect, but it would be impossible to get the two bikes out through the door locked together.

I had one mate bury a 6 foot piece of railway line under the shed – the end poking up as a central locking post, so you could lock bikes both sides with a D-lock through the bolt holes

another mate put a full sheet of galvanised steel concrete reinforcement mesh on one wall of the garage – loads of really secure attachment points, so the bikes could be locked individually and with loads of places to hang other things on too – worked very well.

DezB
    Free Member

No-one else get one of those “Serious” locks then?
    Like a bolt to the wall arm which locks over the bike(s).

I’ve got one but it’s not fixed up. Bikes are just strewn around the garage.

hot_fiat

Thankfully, the drug-addicted unemployable scum of South East Northumberland are more interested in nicking washing off my line, logs out of the store and chickens from the coop (that was an amusing call to the plod) than any of my toys.

I did, drunkenly, once chase some of them down the railway line, air rifle in hand, before the sensible sober part of my brain took control back. The rifle is now locked in shed#1.

Shed#1 has ground anchors resin-bolted to the walls with several very large motorcycle chains securing the bikes. Shed#2 has a the biggest ground anchor imaginable set into 100kg of reinforced concrete with additional rebar piled hedgehog-like into the surrounding soil and under the house foundations. All the sheds are connected to the monitored main house alarm.

hora
    Free Member

I have a large wooden shed and a brickbuilt shed.

My bikes don’t live in there. Its not that I think ‘they are insured’ its that I REALLY REALLY don’t want anyone profitting or spending money made from stealing my things.

If your bike is insured and nicked why post up ‘oh no my trek (etc) has been nicked- please look out for it’ (why? Its not your property- you are getting insurance paid out for it). Weird.

Simply covering yourself with insurance is wrong. Feeding the local scum and giving them income is terrible IMO.

IanW
    Free Member

My son had to leave a rockhopper on the lawn evry other night for a year before the local crims could be arsed to enough to nick it. In the garage, insured is safe enough for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘How do you lock your bikes up in your shed/garage?’ is closed to new replies.