Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How do you know that Bar height is correct? Is there a ball park formula?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Got a mahoosive steerer on my forks, trying to work out where to cut it. How do i know that bar height is correct – is it just down to feel?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Feel is how it works. Formula is for road bikes

Edric64
    Free Member

Dont cut it yet play around with a load of spacers until you are happy with your position by riding it ,then cut it.

robbonzo
    Free Member

I would say you need at least 4 or 5 5mm spacers so you can play about with them above or below the stem. It all depends on your bar height and stem rise too. what you running? Measure it all up with the stem and spacers and cut. No wait, measure twice!

soobalias
    Free Member

fashion.

built a bike for a friend last year, initially it had 25mm spacers and low rise bars (bars level with saddle). he instantly decided that the spacers should go – i tried in vain to put them on top and make him actually ride the bike, even up the road. Having cut the steerer with the stem slammed! he took the bike for a ride. After one ride he was back with new bars he wanted risers.

lo-rise eastons still sat on a shelf in the shed.

oh and this fashion driven, hard headed rider is 60 next year.

sherry
    Free Member

Depends on the bike for me. XC bikes saddle a bit higher than bars. Full sus longer travel bike saddle more neutral to the bars, unless running a dropper post then a bit higher. Climbing becomes harder with seat lower to the bars. Descending is tricky with seat high. Its about finding a compromise and what you like.

For me a general ball park guide is saddle defo not lower and no higher than 3/4 inches of the bar.

Really need to ride the bike and try different positions as said earlier to know what you like.

ahwiles
    Free Member

depends how tall you are.

i’m a lanky streak of pi55, my handlebars are at least 4″ lower than my saddle.

my girlfriend is tiny, her handlebars are an inch or so above her saddle (Even with shortened forks, an inverted stem, and flat bars)

ime: it’s about what you can make work, rather than a goal to aim for.

edit: i would suggest that unless you’re short, or inflexible, you might start looking for a comfy position with your handlebars 2″ lower than your saddle.

but i could well be wrong.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How high have you had them on your previous bikes and how happy with that were you?

That’s where I’d start.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not sure al thats the problem lol

BillOddie

Don’t forget stem length and bar width also makes a difference!

My bars are significantly lower than my saddle on my LTHT with the post at climbing height. Bars are about level with the dropper post errrr dropped.
    That feels right to me.

Set up is: 10mm spacer under 50mm*0Deg Stem and low rise 785mm Bars.

I have a long body and Ape Arms for my 6ft1 height.

I have heard a Rule of thumb that is: Lower bars for better cornering, higher bars for steeper terrain.

sherry
    Free Member

Chiefgrooveguru, interesting link. I think he suggesting fixed seat positions though. Even at that I have seen plenty of XC pros with there seats a good bit higher than the bars. If you have a dropper post then it is a different situation. I personally go for optimal/comfortable climbing position, seat higher than the bars on my 160mm bike and use the dropper for all other situations.

Anyone who tries riding a 160mm bike with the seat lower than the bars will have a very very tough time on steep and or long climbs. Even with adjustable forks it will be difficult to keep the front down. Most AM bikes are meant to climb not too badly as well. Body shape and injury’s play a part as well. Horses for courses I suppose.

ononeorange

I like the front end really high (wrecked back, in part). I generally never cut the steerer, I have loads of spacers. My point? – we’re all different.

james
    Free Member

from the leelikesbikes link:

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I always have mine pretty low as you always seem to level yourself when descending, so the lower your bars are the lower you will be and better balanced

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How do you know that Bar height is correct? Is there a ball park formula?’ is closed to new replies.