Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How do you know if the front changer is two ring or three ring?
  • mrmoofo

I bought a solaris from this here parish. It has a nice shiny very new looking front changer. When I attach it up to my old front changing levers, it only appears to want to shift twice ( i’e it goes from small ring to slightly over shifted on the middle.

Can I assume it is a twoey rather than a threey ?
    Is there anyway of definitely finding out ?

Thanks

tadpole
    Free Member

Thought it was the shifter that determines 2 or 3 ring, mech just moves as far as it is pulled? Mind you, I’m half cut on port …!

steve_b77
    Free Member

If it’s a new spangly dynasys shimano one, there’s a switch on its underside to swap from two to three

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m not clear on whether you are taking about the front shifter, mounted to the bars or the front mech mounted just about the chainset.

mrmoofo

Hi Onzadog,

OK – I have a three ring shifter on the bars
    I have a shimano shifter as the front derailleur – it was on the bike when I got it
    When I hook it up to the bar shifter, it only seems to want to move for two rings.

So I suppose I am asking are front shifters 2 or 3 ring specific? And if they are, how do I know that?
    If they are not specific, then I just need to alter the range screws

richardg
    Free Member

They are generally specific. If you look on the back of the chrome part of the mech which guides the chain it will have a no starting FD.. Tap that into google and see what comes up. You should get a shimano Tech Doc that will tell you what yours is. The 2×10 mech have a different curve to match the generally smaller big ring e.g 38 tooth as opposed to a regular 44. Saying that the mechs arent indexed so if you can get the range you need by adjusting the limit screws and everything works ok then go with it!

mrmoofo

Fd -661 -10 by the look of it

Onzadog
    Free Member

Pretty sure the FD-M661 was for a triple. It could just be the limit screws that are stopping it. Nit sure how much you do or don’t know about setting up gears.

mrmoofo

I know enough
    will give it all a go tomorrow

tomhughes46

As said above, I would guess the previous owner ran it with a double. Winding out the limit screws should sort it out – see here http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

coatesy
    Free Member

My guess is that it’s a bottom-swing(top clamping)type, and you’ve routed the gear cable under the lug before clamping it, rather than around the outside of the lug, this affects the pull ratio quite a lot.

mrmoofo

It is a dynasys one
    So now I have to look for the switch – because it wont happen with the adjuster screws!

Or is the switch on the handlebar changer?

Does the fact that in am using a 9 speed chain and chainset make a difference ?

coatesy
    Free Member

The switch is under the shift lever.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Once you find the switch, don’t force it, they snap really easily. The secret is to take the pressure off the ratchet to turn the switch.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How do you know if the front changer is two ring or three ring?’ is closed to new replies.