Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • How do you keep your head warm commuting?
  • s
    Free Member

OK so my ears and nose have just about returned to me from their frozen state, after my commute into work today!

A crash hat & Buff is not enough for me today! 😉

How do you keep you block warm this time of year?

hels
    Free Member

Assos hat. Don’t usually splash out on their expensive kit but my hat is toasty. It has a nice layer of fleecy bits for your ears but the head bit is thin enough to go under a helmet. £20 well spent.

crazy-legs

My “nightriding” helmet – an older lid with the headtorch mounted on it semi-permanently to save swapping the brackets round and a Buff underneath worn as a skull cap so it covers the top of my head and pulls down over my ears.
    Usually another Buff round my neck if it’s really cold.

The helmet is an older design with fewer vents so that helps. Try taping over the front vents on your helmet, that’ll make a massive difference.

donks
    Free Member

Skull cap, but TBH i ditch the helmet when its bitter and just wear a nice warm beanie.

ourmaninthenorth

I have hair, so usually a helmet is enough. Sometimes a biretta, and rarely (i.e. when it’s below freezing) a Belgian-style winter hat with ear flaps (freddy Maertens look).

s
    Free Member

Try taping over the front vents on your helmet, that’ll make a massive difference.

Good call CL, will do..

trb
    Free Member

I’ve got a lycra skull cap, can’t remember the brand. Normally OK, but the “frost sink” dip I ride through at about 30mph was at -8 this morning and I needed more!

psling
    Free Member

Pinching someone elses picture from another thread but seems appropriate to this thread…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve got a thin balaclava hat that came free with some motorbike mag a couple of months ago. It’ll prob scare the pants off anyone i meet whilst wearing it at night though!
    Probably combine it with a buff to keep the neck nice and toasty.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Sometimes a biretta,

eh?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ground Effect fleece skull cap. Covers the ears, fits under a lid.

When it’s uber cold I’ll pull a Buff up over my mouth as well.

jools182
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hair (what’s left), Windstopper headband and neck-gaitor thingy is all I’ve ever needed.

I also have a Damart balaclava for super cold days or when I need to scare someone (“I know where you live” etc).

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I have been known to use my ski helmet, but it’s usually too warm. Maybe I’ll be able to put it to better use in weather this cold…

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

A helmet.

Anything more and you’re a wimp.

Haze

Endura BaaBaa skull cap has worked for me – had to remove it halfway in though, too warm!

jonb
    Free Member

I use a buff.

I used to use one of these but can no longer get it on under my helmet.

http://www.upandunder.co.uk/eshop/catalogue/testbs.asp?Manufacturer_ID=31&Activity_ID=3&Description_ID=103

I used to wear it paddling and it was effective even when taking a roll in icy water. Windproof, warm when wet, not too expensive. Socks are good too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

proper cyling hat with ear flaps
    Balaclava – spell- when it gets proper cold – or proper cold and very windy

gothandy

Army surplus Headover just £2!

I use my Dad’s which must be older than me (40!), great bit of kit. How is that for a long term review 🙂

woffle
    Free Member

Cycling cap. Then a thin merino woolly hat over the top (about £9 from M&S, bargain) and pulled down over the ears, then my helmet. Finally a buff-type scarf up over my chin. Oakleys with yellow or clear lenses.

Does the trick for me. It was -4 this morning…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sealskins waterproof skull cap = Looks silly but it effective 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

buff and exertion..?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

gore windstopper balaclava

nickname
    Free Member

Helmet seems to take care of my head, but the pollution mask I wear is excellent at keeping my face warm. Only downside is that it gets a bit damp in this cold weather, and gets bunged up, hence breathing gets restricted – good training innit 🙂

TheBishop
    Free Member

Close the sun roof!

giantjason
    Free Member

gore windstopper skullcap

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

If one buff’s not enough, wear two! Round the neck and pulled up like a balaclava.
    When your head gets too hot, just pull from the back while riding along, and it reverts to only a neckwarmer.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just a Buff 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A nice warm hat.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I grow fibres out of my head

I think it’s called hair…

philfive
    Free Member

endura skull cap and a buff for me.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Windstopper headband if its just cold.
    dhb skull cap if its colder.
    skull cap + buff on the neck/face if its baltic!

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Endura skullcap and I also bought a dhb balaclava last year for when it gets really bitter, that also helped with my breathing as I felt a bit ill breathing in ice cold air all the time last year, then again it was my first ever MTB’ing winter so not used to it.

I’ve just bought a bargain £45 full face helmet for when I want to chuck myself in the air a bit more, thinking that winter would be the ideal time to use it as summer will be to hot for any kinda XC/jumps type riding, I’m too wimpy for full on D/H rad gnarlyness but hopefully this new helmet with kill 2 birds with 1 stone, keep head warm and give me some confidence instead of bricking it on something a bit rad.

Some of the gear, zero idea, that’s me that is. 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

somewhere between 19.5 and 23 on the climate control tends to be comfortable on the chillier days

DezB
    Free Member

A Lidl’s headband just to keep the ears warm. If I cover the top of my head (additional to the helmet) I get too hot.

SidewaysTim

I usually take my chopper in this weather, as it has special winter tyres. My head’s not usually cold either…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘How do you keep your head warm commuting?’ is closed to new replies.