Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How do you get the most out of disc pads?
  • JonnyHuge
    Free Member

I expect like many people I’ve ended up with a few sets of part used pads. They tend to be anywhere from 60% to 80% worn which means that I’m sitting on a number of sets of disc pads with up to 40% pad life left in them.

Typically I find that for the beginning bit (say the first 30% or so) the pads bite well and my brakes feel great. Then, for the next bit (say the next 30%) they do the job but require more effort, after which I usually change them.

So the question is whether other folks find the same or do you wear your disc pads out completely before replacing them? If so do you have to maintain you brakes in anyway in order to achieve this – i.e. do you top up your fluid reservoirs part way through a pads life in order to have that same instant bite and feel of consistent stopping capability?

Is this just the way it is?

I’m running older style M4’s (180 front, 160 rear), the black ones with gold piston covers which must be 4 years old, but they were fully serviced by Hope 6 months ago and have always been very good.

Thoughts?

aP
    Free Member

I just use them until they don't work any more then replace them.

uplink
    Free Member

I use them till there done for
    I can't say I've ever noticed a performance drop off as they wear

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

My brake feel seems pretty consistent right down to the point where I pop out onto the metal backing plate. I keep a set of almost gone pads in my camelback as get-me-home spares if I do wear out or damage the current pads, otherwise I wear them down to the last micron of material …

GW
    Free Member

pretty much 'til the spring between them hits the disc.. infact, I'm running one set with no spring as it was fouling the disc so is that 99%?
    never need to top up or bleed 'em either.
    if you can lock your wheel they require no more effort 😛

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I change them when worn out – every year or two. Sometimes I have changed a part worn pair as I would be going on a long tour and then keep the part worn ones for spares

If the performance of your pads is less when part worn something is wrong

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cover them in greese and it stops the pads from wearing down – No seriously I'm joking Mr Lawer person! Try soaking them in brake cleaner – maybe they have a lot of gunge / accumulated greese in tehm?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I just wait till they wear out.
    Still waiting 🙂

JonnyHuge
    Free Member

Hummm – so just wait then till they wear all the way? 😯

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Well, if there are 3 microns of pad material left and I'm about to do a 24 hr race, no.

It really isn't rocket science.

aP
    Free Member

It really isn't rocket science.

🙄 Oh, the innocence of youth

JonnyHuge
    Free Member

Just surprised to see there aren't any others that find braking performance trails off as their pads wear down – maybe it's just me being so fast and all!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jonny – I suspect its contamination. Do you use muc off or something similar?

JonnyHuge
    Free Member

errr, well I might have used muc off once or twice 😳

D0NK

Run em till the spring mangles against the rim, if one sides wearing faster than the other swap them round (if possible) and try to reset pistons properly in future 😉
    Keep part worns for "get me home" duty

You can of course keep running with just backing plates but your braking performance may suffer as will your discs 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

I play it by ear. Silence = OK. Gruaaaannnchhh = time to replace.

Or like the other poster.
    Leave in whilst about to do a 24 solo, wait until 5 minutes before the start, change your mind, panic like mad, replace, then F and blind for 24 hours at your sticking pads.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you could be glazeing your pads?

-Do you only ever ride in the dry?
    -Do you drag your brakes downhill? (or run off screeming yeee haaa and blowing out all corners as you brake far to little too late)

If so you may be glazeing your pads, this is where the surface becomes polished and very hard as your riding tends to get them very hot without ever actualy wearing them down. The solution is to file away the surface with a very clean (degresed) file, then bed them in again. Riding properly and not dragging the brakes allong with the occasional bit of mud will do your brkes the world of good.

The other options are………
    accumulated road muck/WD40/tractor diesel etc contaminating the pads or
    leaking seals (unlikely unless you notice they need bleeding more often than usual) usualy a failed seal is fairly instant and catastrophic in its consequences.

JonnyHuge
    Free Member

Glazeing the pads sounds like it may be the culprit although I ride in all weathers/conditions – and I thought I was quite smooth but who knows! Will try filing the surface with a very clean thing.

Cheers all

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

120 grade alu oxide paper sat on a flat surface. Rub the pads on the paper in circular motion for 5 secs. Put pads back on bike and ride. If you are going to be really fussy sand the discs briefly as well

montylikesbeer

a light coating of fish or octopi oil helps, but not rock, rocks do not help at all

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How do you get the most out of disc pads?’ is closed to new replies.