Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How do you get over the Mountain biking equivalent of the yips!?
  • Clembo
    Free Member

3 months ago, I had a bad accident, the "5 hours in casualy, oxygen mask and drip" type of accident! Proof that you can go fast enough on a singlespeed to hurt yourself!!

First ride back, 3 weeks ago, I went straight for the hill I fell off on and got down it very slowly. But yesterday, I went down it again at more like normal speed and nearly came off again in the same spot. Its not a difficult section and I'm no riding god but its shaken me up.

So should I MTFU and keep going for it, or take it steady until I'm back into the swing of riding a bit more? I feel like I've lost my nerve a bit to be honest. Or is that because I've now got a 3 month old and I've suddenly become more aware that I'm not 18 still?

Peoples experiences after bad crashes would be appreciated!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's a natural reaction, IMO
    Take it easy for a bit and try and find a similar trail/obstacle that's a bit less severe to practice on. You'll get there, just go step by step!
    🙂

PJ266
    Free Member

I went slightly offline on a steep bit of trail and went over the bars, headfirst into a large tree. Hurt like a bitch for a long time, particularly first thing in the mornings. havent ridden the trail since 😆

Clembo
    Free Member

It's a natural reaction, IMO
    Take it easy for a bit and try and find a similar trail/obstacle that's a bit less severe to practice on. You'll get there, just go step by step!

Cheers for that. Steady as she goes I think.

chvck
    Free Member

PJ266 – you will be soon though!

I'd agree with PeterPoddy…just take it step by step and steadily work your confidence back up!

chakaping
    Free Member

Go and ride some different things instead, in case it's just that bit which is spooking you.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Get back on and ride it repeatedly, facing your demons is the best bet. Stop first and make sure you have a good line in mind, no point in being foolish!

Smee
    Free Member

You could try sessioning the bit that you crashed on. Try different lines at different speeds etc. That is of course unless it is a gnarly death drop.

Wookster

I have a section on a trail we ride that really get's me. Had three stacks on it first one with me ending up about ten feet from it looking up at the sky one of those ok does every thing still move do I feel ok moments with my mate looking for me after coming around the corner to see only a bike partly on a trail! went back again a few weeks later and washed out and got up went again ( know I can ride this bloody thing) and washed out!! Now I had ridden it for a year or more no issues then in the space of a month or so three stacks the first shook me and I just lost faith in my ability to ride it as I had been and built it up though too much does that make sence?? :?.

It's a about 6 months later, and I have improved as a rider over all riding faster more controlled (good old sskills course!), am fitter etc (I'm no riding god at all!!!) and I'm riding stuff I would never have tried before, agrubly harder stuff. I can/ do ride it again but at about 1/2 the speed I used to but I'm getting back to grips with it.

I'd chill and enjoy other riding/ trails, if you do ride that trail then just get down it as time goes you'll start riding it quicker with out too much thought. it will still be there next ride next month year so dont make a big thing of rushing back it you'll ride it again!! 😀

Any way my 2p's worth!!

crispybacon
    Free Member

I had a high speed facial on Dartmoor back in June & yes it did knock my confidence when I got back on the bike. I started to do some road / commuting miles first then got back into the woods & singletrack. I took things easy to begin with & then gradually built up to more difficult stuff.

I rode the full Exmoor Explorer at the beginning of August & the other week I had 3 days in Wales riding high mountains, a trail center & some natural wooded trails too. I'm now back to my pre-crash speed if not a bit quicker. I would just say don't go beating yourself up over this & take your time 🙂

Matt-P
    Free Member

Had 2 bad offs in recent years, one at Llandegla (I know some will say impossible) where I cracked a rib and the other on a really easy bit of Penmachno where I pulled my shoulder apart with a Grade 3 ACJ dislocation.
    12months on I would say I'm more cautious now of getting too fast, but a period of about 6 months taking it steadier (and coaching the GF) means that the confidence has slowly come back and now I feel smoother and quicker than before across most ground. Those sections I came off on are always taken more slowly now but it hasn't dented my enjoyment.
    Best advice I can give is go for a wide variety of riding, don't focus on the bits you're struggling with, they will come, just build your confidence and enjoyment and have fun riding.

Alphabet

Every time I have a bad crash (hospital type crash) it takes me about 6 to 12 months to get my confidence back. Just ride easier trails and go around stuff more. Just take is easy and slowly and you'll get your confidence back bit by bit.

Clembo
    Free Member

Cheers guys some great advice there.
    It was the worst crash I've had in 18 years
    of biking so guess it was bound to shake
    me up.I felt annoyed with myself for getting
    stressed about riding but I just need to chill
    and start enjoying it again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How do you get over the Mountain biking equivalent of the yips!?’ is closed to new replies.