Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • how do you get a new registration number for a car?
  • jools182
    Free Member

If you buy a car that’s on private plates, but the owner wants to keep them, how do you get a new reg for the car?

dirtybike
    Free Member

I think if the owner wants to keep the private plate then the car reverts back to its original registration number which is usually retained.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And the owner of the vanity plates should be paying for the change of reg too.

andrewh
    Free Member

Should be as simple as writing to the DVLA to tell them what’s what.
    They will issue you with new reg doc, MOT certificate and tax disc bearing new (old?) number plate.
    In reality it’s a PITA.

Smarty
    Free Member

This was done recently
    read through this

Somewhere in that thread I posted a link to the DVLA form that you need to do the job, just print it and fill it in.

Good luck.

dooosuk
    Free Member

In reality it’s a PITA.

No it’s not.

The current owner needs to spend 2mins filling out a form and then 5mins down his local DVLA office and it’ll all be sorted. Will take a week or two for the new V5 to come through but it’s very simple process in reality.

maccruiskeen

it’s very simple process in reality.

even simpler if you leave it to the vendor to sort, not just the legalities but the ordering, paying and fitting of the new plates. As for the DVLA getting new documents to you/the vendor – a fortnight is going to be more than a fortnight at this time of year.

If the vendor isn’t going to take care of it I’d be asking for a big chunk off the asking price for the inconvenience

boblo
    Free Member

FYI. The original number (pre cherished) will have been cancelled. The LVLO will issue a replacement, age related number to the donor vehicle when they do the transfer.

dooosuk
    Free Member

FYI. The original number (pre cherished) will have been cancelled. The LVLO will issue a replacement, age related number to the donor vehicle when they do the transfer.

In my experience, you always get the original registration re-allocated. Registrations don’t get cancelled. They all go back in an available pot. If the original plate isn’t available (very unlikely) then a replacement age related number will be allocated but they always try and re-allocate the original plate if possible.

maccruiskeen

hmmmmmmm ‘cherished’ there aren’t many things you get to cherish these days. 🙂

I

ScottChegg
    Free Member

dooosuk – that wasn’t my experience. DVLA issued a completely different number. So the service history book had 3 different registrations in it.

I wouldn’t bother these days. If they want the number they can keep the car too.

jools182
    Free Member

how much money is involved in getting the old plate back on?

dooosuk
    Free Member

The person wanting to keep the plate will have to pay a fee to either put it on retention for a year or transfer it to a new vehicle. It’ll probably cost them (not you) between £80-£120 from memory.

If you buy the car with the plate still on it…then you legally own the plate and you can go tell the old owner to sod off.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IIRC once you go back to age related plates they cannot be transfered off the vehicle? A bit like Q plates.

Was done as people buy up old numbers for a fortune either for restored classics or kit car replicas, so you can’t buy an old banger, and just use it to generate a new plate each year.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘how do you get a new registration number for a car?’ is closed to new replies.