Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • How do you folks get your brain buzzing with ideas?
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I,m going to try reading Kants “Critique of pure reason”.Surely this must get the old grey matter working.

scud
    Free Member

Caffeine before 6pm, strong IPA after…

cp

bike ride… Seems to get my creative juices flowing. Lots of bad ideas… but enough good ones too 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Listen to Crooked Timber by Therapy? very loud.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I,m going to try reading Kants “Critique of pure reason”.

He was very rarely stable apparently.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Silly Kant.

ulysse
    Free Member

Cocaine and crystal meth…

thepurist

Beer. The best ideas are always fuelled by alcohol.

(this may not prove to be the case in hindsight once sobered up and wondering how the traffic cone got on top of the lamp post you’re tied to, and why your trousers are in it)

perchypanther
    Free Member

I,m going to try reading Kants “Critique of pure reason”.

You should also try reading “Comma: The fallen Apostrophe”

It’s most enlightening 🙂

nicko74

Something to chill out (riding, walking the dog, whatever), followed by caffeine or a pint.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’d suggest preparing your own definition of reason. Then consider what pure reason is, or could be. Crtique the concepts you come up with and then attempt to produce a physical abstract of them in a medium you enjoy – a painting, sculpture or photograph, for example. Maybe then read what Kant though about it; but then, why bother?

Cougar

He was very rarely stable apparently.

Because he was a real pissant, as I recall.

jekkyl

sounds like a woman from essex saying a dirty word, was my take on him at Uni. kinda like kipper tie is a hot drink being spoken by someone from Birmingham.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brian was a Cant, however.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

5HTP
    Bike rides

perchypanther
    Free Member

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

What’s 5HTP?I thought Kant was very stable after his two hour a day walk.The locals used to set their clocks by it

theotherjonv

Most days i wish i could get mine to shut up.

mainly because they aren’t very good or helpful ideas.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

What about Mind games.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Just had a root canal operation.That certainly got me thinking and jumping.

stevied
    Free Member

Boredom generally gets me thinking..

Northwind

BRAIN FORCE PLUS!FLIP THE SWITCH!

Actually, I try to go to sleep, that gets the brain racing.

plyphon
    Free Member

As someone with a job that has a large element of “creativity” –

Surround yourself with inspiration as much as you can, that means –

Following blogs/Reading Medium (https://medium.com/)
    Following areas where the community congregates
    Actively identifying what it is that you find inspiring/awesome about a subject
    Print things out
    Sketch things!
    Do something, then do it again to see if you can do it better or differently
    Look at things upside down or at funny angles.
    Aim for something – have a goal in mind

All creativity is, is amalgamating lots of inspiration into something new.

GrahamS

= Buzzing like a bee with ADHD

binners

Another **** ‘creative’ type here

I generally wake up early, like a hormonal 13 year old on 2 cans of Red Bull and 3 Mars bars, with my head buzzing with ideas. I immediately get up, fire the Mac up and get stuck in.

It then tails off steadily through the course of the day, so that by mid-afternoon I’m virtually catatonic. My ideal working day is 7-3 then knock off and go out for a walk/ride

strawman
    Free Member

Hey perchypanther have you acquired the stained lips yet? Fear is the mind killer.

I play guitar for a bit, that usually gets my brain in motion. The three cells that are still functioning anyhow.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

It’s a supplement. Boosts serotonin. useful for SAD or MDMA comedowns. However, for me, when I took them daily it was like being on the diet pills in Requiem for a Dream. I had to-do lists of to-do lists….. Was too much. My brain chemistry is naturally healthy/stable

BigJohn

1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. There’s no substitute for sitting down with a pen and a pre-scribbled piece of paper and a problem that needs sorting.

Then in the shower next morning the idea will come to you.

darrell
    Free Member

at the moment listening to the Sleaford Mods

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Who?

tjagain

Kants “Critique of pure reason” is the single most difficult thing I have tried to read – and I was only reading bits of it for a uni course on ethics

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I think you’re all trying too hard.

Get stuck into some menial tasks (cleaning the bathroom, etc) and it’s like your brains a pearl diver coming up for air.

And as Douglas Adams said ‘when people stop talking, their brains start to work’ 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And as Douglas Adams said ‘when people stop talking, their brains start to work’

Depends what you’re trying to do.

Most days I get to work with some half formed idea in my head, sketch it to see if it’s viable then sit down with someone and talk about it for half an hour. Even if they contribute nothing just vocalising the idea (and therefore how it will work) rather than relying on sketches (what it looks like), then sometime around 11am sit down at the PC and start doing the CAD drawings. Then maybe 3D print it overnight.

TiRed

Maths does it for me. Riding a bike helps too.

somafunk

How do you folks get your brain buzzing with ideas?

TM meditation or flotation tank, if I really want to get my brain buzzin then I’ll have a few shrooms or a cannabis truffle beforehand, a bit of a monthly routine that is very effective

Or I simply go for a bike ride in the Galloway hills, find a suitable hill and just sit n’ wait for the sunset whilst I let my brain wander as it sees fit

colournoise

As another arty-farty type.

I’m kind of with Douglas Adams and greatbeardedone.

Think really hard for a while about what you’re trying to do/create/solve, maybe while out walking or biking (although personally I also find scribbling things out in idiosyncratic doodled schematics helps with this stage).

Then forget about it completely for a couple of days – your brain will still be churning away in a quiet corner somewhere without telling you and will suddenly shout a solution out to you when you least expect it…

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Weekend FT didn’t work it’s magic

tynemouthmatt
    Free Member

Procrastination.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stay well read, the stuff that keeps coming up in conversation at work etc is generally from the news and current affairs/development

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘How do you folks get your brain buzzing with ideas?’ is closed to new replies.