Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • How do you feel about getting older ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

On a more serious note than the other thread, how do you all feel about getting older ?

I’m guessing that most on here fall into the 30 to 65 year old bracket….

I’m 42 and going deaf already off to UCL next week for lots of tests, am I happy about this no I’m **** not, it’s my own fault I guess too much standing next to speakers in the 90s off my head…

I really hate getting older I love all that I have family/life/ work but let’s be honest guys I miss those heady nights out getting off my head wether it be drink or drugs the bonus would be a getting lucky with a lass, well that’s not going to happen now, not that I particularly want it to but jeez those were great days being in your 20s…young and carefree being able to take off when you wanted travelling etc.

I’m not having a MLC btw just airing off!

What do you miss ? How do you feel about getting older ?

DaRC_L

Effin’ peed off… 😕
    my back hurts, I don’t recover as well and hangovers are a nightmare however my head is in a much better state than in my 20’s.
    So I’d like to keep my head but have the body of a 20+

wwaswas

I’m 50 next year.

I think it’s recovery time from injuries getting increasingly long that upsets me most (plus the fact I probably have less than half the active years left to me that I’ve already lived).

I’m on week 12 of a torn rotator cuff tear that’s not hugely better than a week after I did it that’s causing me most grief currently.

avdave2

I just take it one day at a time

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s great

Old enough to know better AND old enough to not care

shermer75
    Free Member

Getting older is like being a fine wine. It’s best when you’re drunk first haha 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i’m 43, earlier this week i got told by someone who didn’t know that he thought i was 32 😀

I’ve never been fitter, and i seem healthy enough…

…still not learning by my mistakes though… 😉

scotroutes

Shit.

Every day/week/month that goes by has me thinking that I’m running out of time. An injury or illness that keeps me off riding/walking/paddling/skiing seems to eat away at me. I’m starting to count the years left for me to be reasonably fit and active.

I wasn’t really in to getting smashed or off my face so don’t miss that.

footflaps

In my head I’m still 18 (44 biologically). Always surprised how grey / white my hair is when it gets cut even though I’ve been grey for 10 years or more!

I think you’re only as old as you decide to be……

Drac

It’s better than the other option.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Least worst option!

globalti
    Free Member

At 59 I’m feeling better and better; I got a bit messed up in my early fifties but now that I’m used to the physical symptoms and have got through the miserable self-pitying bit I’m feeling more positive. The best thing about getting older is your increased wisdom and experience and the way you deal with people. Customers can sense experience and that’s beneficial for everybody, including my employer.

I’m fitter now that I’ve ever been in my life thanks to taking up road riding and getting a decent bike, which I love riding. The only negative I can think of is the increased intolerance to noise and inconsiderate behaviour by other people.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Never have and couldn’t care less about my age.
    It always seems to be about others in my experience.
    Like b’days – “but its your 40th – you HAVE to celebrate it…”
    No I don’t but seem to feel the need to…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Don’t mind actually. I’ve been forty (in my head) since I turned 18.

Now that my body is 43 it’s caught up with my cautious old man attitude to life.

I think that your forties is when you start to feel the massive pressure of insecurity lift from you a bit when you’ve had a chance to achieve some major milestones.

From the age of 13 through to about 40 life is an intense competition to pass exams, secure a place at university, find a job, get a relationship, build a career, buy a house, have kids.

Once these things have all come to pass you can take stock of yourself and sort of feel more confident in your own skin.

On the downside I haven’t been outdoors in the UK without a jacket since 1989.

fasthaggis

Very much a ‘pint half full’ person me.
    I love getting older and feel more and more connected to everything.
    Still doing new things ,still having fun,still fit(ish)and healthy.
    My youngest now kicks my arse at rock climbing and had to coach me through a few moves last night when I was starting to get a bit scared bottled it tired.
    Life is awesome,go get some. 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Grumpy (although I have just gone from the being the fittest in my life at 41 to the most unfit in 12 months)

Junkyard
    Free Member

I only dislike the injury recovery time period being so much longer

rocketman
    Free Member

I’m starting to count the years left for me to be reasonably fit and active

The FIL is 78 and more active than blokes half his age

He’s a laid-back character always doing stuff but never going overboard with any of it. ‘Don’t expect too much of yourself ‘ is his favorite saying

the-muffin-man

I just take it one day at a time

^This for me too.

Some days are better than others. But I have no bucket list or things I feel I need to do. And rarely plan more than a few weeks ahead.

I’m 47 in a few weeks and to be honest, sometime I think do I need another 40 or 50 yrs of the rubbish life throws at people.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Time for the

Stoner
    Free Member

I turn 40 in a couple of months.

Ive started to care more about the fact I have a BMI of 25 and ideally could do with dropping 10Kg to 85Kg. Especially as Ive been trying to nail a couple of peaks near my place in France and have just been running out of the necessary viscera to quite make them whether it be guts, lungs, heart or brain. I can barely hang on to a bouldering wall these days 🙁

So Ive been working on my diet lately, and thinking hard about my 40yr old MOT coming up later this year and not staggering into the docs like a decrepit.

On the plus side, my BMI is 25, not 35, which given much of the competition is not doing too badly. I also exercise at least 3hrs a week and raise my heart rate every day for at least 30mins if not an hour.

My eye-sight is still perfect (or near as dammit, they cant fix anything with lenses anyway) and I can still get the strangest…, so all in all, “not dead yet” is how I would put it.

My target is to stay fit enough at 50 to still have the ability to spend the following 5-10yrs yomping through hills and mountains around Europe when the kids are old enough not to need me around all the time.

hardcoreprawn
    Free Member

I’m 45 and still young… Might start thinking about getting older when I start feeling older… Hopefully some way off yet 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m another 43-year old, I don’t mind the looks side of ageing (getting fatter at the same time is another matter) but as others have said recovering from crashes takes longer and I seem to get more general niggles and aches.

Pigface
    Free Member

Since I started pilates feel much better, swim 4/5 times a week, haven’t ridden a bike for way too long.

Over 50 and feel pretty good, someone thought I was 37 the other day which is just silly.

I do look at Swallows and think maybe only see them arriving in spring another 25 times, but could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Still learning stuff so quite happy really, the hairy ears is a bummer.

franki
    Free Member

Mentally, I’m not bothered about age.
    Physically – I’ve almost constantly got knee or back pain to varying degrees now. I’m ok once I’m in action, but getting going isn’t as easy as it was!
    Fitness wise I’m happy enough. Doing a bit more on the bike of late and feeling good. Don’t seem any worse than in my younger days, although my fearlessness isn’t at the same level it was in my 20s or 30s.

crankboy
    Free Member

largely I ignore it and have fun but I have a constant reminder of my approaching age, my son is 4 when he is ready to make his way in the world or milk me for uni fees I will be 65.

I did feel and act like I was 20 till the responsibility of fatherhood bit.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

52, never felt better, fitter now than i’ve ever been, in fact after giving up eating crap and drinking alcohol i’m much happier, genetics do play a part, but i do work hard at keeping in shape.
    I have no worries about getting older, in fact still making gains in the gym and now the wife has started pumping iron all is well in the world.
    On a side note, a young woman the other day said i was ‘buff’ 8)

highlandman
    Free Member

Scotroutes, you aren’t running out of time…you’re still making chances and opportunities to make best use of your time. Ride and ski as hard as you can- but still within your abilities. That way, you’ll keep on riding for a long time. I’m 51, still love descents like Lair and Etchachan (last week, again..) and I don’t see that stopping in the near future. One day I will have to wind my neck in. But not yet. I recover well from hard rides and luckily from injuries; the body and its systems are well trained after plenty practice at fixing itself. Wwas, your cuff will heal- that one takes ages for most folk and you have been unlucky.
    This Saturday I’ll be sweeping the Speyside Way race, having ridden 120 miles to get there on Friday. And there’ll be another 120 to get back home again. With age comes the experience to measure your work rate better, to allow you to keep going. It’s that ‘keeping going’ thing that I reckon is the most important part about getting older. Just do not stop….

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m 40 next month and not that happy about it. Mainly because I’m really not looking forward to my inevitable death 🙁

However I manage to ignore it mostly, by always working with people who are either my age or older. One of my colleagues is almost 50, and he’s a strange mix of old git and youngster. The other day we went on a bike ride and stopped off at his mum and dad’s for tea, that made me feel like a teenager!

On the plus side though, my career is in a far better place than it ever was and I have progressed to the point where I feel pretty good about my level of influence and responsibility, unlike the first 15 odd years where I was constantly frustrated and demoralised.

woody2000

44 in a couple of months, so probably bang on the STW average. I don’t really feel any different now (physically) to 10-15 years ago. I’m fit and active, still got (more or less) all my own teeth, balding but sexy ( 🙂 ), yadda yadda yadda. I don’t even think about ageing really, I’d prefer not to of course, but it’s inevitable so why stress about it. 3 young kids (6, 5 & 17 months) to keep me on my toes, just hope I’m here long enough to see their kids 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Hairy ears. WTF?

fasthaggis

Hairy ears. WTF?

Wooly Tufty Fluff 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I official became old last time I had my hair cut…. the young lady doing it suggested she trim my eyebrows…. to be fair I had noticed them myself, they were getting a little Denis Healey.

Other than that… hang overs last days, but car insurance is as cheap as chips … rock n roll.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don’t consider it.
    I’m getting better looking as time passes
    The growing raft of infirmities is a bit annoying though

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Looking for the positive I s’pose I could use it light a fire in an emergency

Stoner
    Free Member

44 in a couple of months, so probably bang on the STW average.

I was 26 when I first signed up to STW 😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mid 40’s, sexy, fit as ****, hansom chap, solvent, own hair (maturing grey nicely), own teeth (front 3 excepted, but screwed in) light tan, bikes, cars, homes, cash in my wallet and time to spend it, my cock still works, occasional lower back ache is all I’ve got to worry about.. 😀

C’mon… whats the hell’s not to like about that eh’? 8)

Should put an ad on eHarmoney shouldn’t I?? 😆

Edit: I do have to wear glasses for Laptop work, but hey… I look sexy in those too!

highlandman
    Free Member

Oldest finisher at the West Highland Way race (ultra marathon run) this year was 67. Just saying..

perchypanther
    Free Member

hang overs last days

Hangovers are also considerably worsened when you get repeatedly poked in the ribs at 6:30 am on a Sunday morning by a six year old who wants to watch Spongebob Squarepants and demands breakfast. Avoid

woody2000

I was 26 when I first signed up to STW

Then we’ve all got old together 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘How do you feel about getting older ?’ is closed to new replies.