Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • how do you do steep climbs (offroad ;-)
  • racefaceec90

have real trouble with keeping the front wheel down whilst trying to climb steepish trails (am not fit/good enough to do really steep hills).when i had my 10 anthem x2 (small) i found that it was pretty good at keeping the front planted (although it still would wheelie).since swapping it for my new charge duster (small) am having real problems with keeping the front down.it is definitely to do with a short stem/shorter reach/to bars/no bar ends compared to the anthem (had bar ends on it)(love the new ride position/do not want to change anything if possible) also when climbing in ruts,4×4 tracks, the front end wanders so much sometimes that i have to stop.any advice would be most helpful.p.s i do try and go as far onto the nose of saddle,but sometimes i just do not do it (not intentional)thanks 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Draw a vertical line from both hubs and keep your weight between those lines.

wwaswas

drop your wrists and elbows right down if you climb sitting down.

or just stand up on ths steep bits – transfers your weight forward and you get used to it quite quickly (riding singlespeed means I spend most of my time climbing out of the saddle on anythign steep!).

GW
    Free Member

I walk

you need to stop pulling up on your bars, front wheels don’t lift themselves.

rkk01
    Free Member

Yep – perch your butt right on the nose of the saddle.

I find it also helps if you drop you elbows – feels like you’re pulling the bars back to you, but in fact your pulling your torso further forward

anto164
    Free Member

i tend to drop my arms a bit, and if it gets too steep, i stand up and spin smoothly. The smoother you are, the less likely the power you’re putting through the pedals is to make you pop a sick wheely.

seanoc
    Free Member

Hated climbing on my Duster, it’s the seat tube ane more than anything. Love climbing on a ragley though!

rocketman
    Free Member

The key to climbing is core strength. You should be able climb non-tech climbs resting your hands on the bars. Just use your hands for steering.

chugg08

Like a squirrel eating nuts…

Bring your hands closer and on top of the bars. Rotate thumbs slightly up and your elbows and arms naturally drop pulling your weight forward.

Sounds daft but it works 😉

Diawl
    Free Member

I mostly ride a PA with Pikes wound out to 140. I rarely wind them down. I sit on the nose of the saddle and crouch forward over the bars, but don’t pull on them. Look ahead and pick your line.

thomthumb
    Free Member

thumbs on top of grips as opposed to under them will allow the shoulder/ elbow to rotate and you can adopt the preying mantis stance.

smooth power delivery cadence too.

seosamh77
    Free Member

fitness holds me back, but technically i’m fine ascending most steepness till my lungs burst(quite quickly! :D).. but it’s all about balance and finding the sweet spot that keeps both wheels on the ground with equal traction. Experiment leaning forward more to find the balance, which changes depending on the steepness, hover your arse slightly above the saddle too to let you move easier…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If it’s proper steep & loose/slippery or techy then there’s always going to be a compromise between gription & steering, It’s a case of getting your position in the right place at the right time which can mean having to move your weight back or forth quickly. Momentum is also important, once you slow down on slippery stuff you can be screwed. As Rocketman said, core strength is important as is your technical ability. My mate is a mountain goat & climbs stuff on his HT (Pace 305)that I can’t manage on my FS, (5) he’s ridden stuff on my FS & I’ve just shook my head in disbelief. I’ve also cleaned stuff on my 5 that I’ve never managed on my HT so I think the bike helps as well!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Try sliding your saddle forward on the rails a bit too.
    And as said above, smooth and even power, don’t stomp.

Paceman
    Free Member

Smooth constant power, maybe get a slightly longer stem?

mrmo
    Free Member

couple of things, do not dump the bike into granny at the first sign of a climb you may well find it easier to roll a bigger gear than spin a smaller one. Secondly try and keep weight forward, bar ends were invented for a reason even if they aren’t fashionable.

philconsequence
    Free Member

stand up and stomp up the bastard. its illegal to change gear once travelling uphill where i come from.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Lose the gut
    Find a bike from the early 90`s
    Slide forward on the saddle
    Get the right gear and not just the easiest gear
    Pedal good circles and try and keep the power throughout the entire rotation of each pedal stroke.Especially on the loose stuff.

donsimon
    Free Member

Honeymoon over?
    Drop elbows and get your chin as close to the bars as you can, you want to keep weight on the rear for traction and the weight that usually flails around on your shoulders needs to be over the front. Stay seated and push those legs.
    You could look at set up too. If the bike has longer forks for the downy bits, it’s going to be a mare on the climbs. Solution for me is to have Recons on my Sirius. Wind ’em down on the ups, and give them a bit of length on the downs.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Lower your torso by dropping your elbows. It helps stop you unweighting the front wheel with each pedal down-stroke.

Here’s Liam Killeen

mrmo
    Free Member

you sure that is Liam, i only ask because that looks like a belgian national champion jersey?

gears_suck
    Free Member

Practice, practice, practice. All this is gobbledygook if you have no base fitness or technical ability. The only way you’ll get that, is by riding as far as you can as often as you can. Everyone climbs differently and what works for one guy will not for you.
    You know that feeling you get when you are halfway up the hill and you want to stop? That’s called “pain.” If you don’t like it, you’ll never be a good climber.
    Get out and get on your bike because you won’t learn how to do anything reading this twaddle.

MSP

philconsequence – Member

stand up and stomp up the bastard. its illegal to change gear once travelling uphill where i come from.

Norfolk?

elaineanne
    Free Member

yeah i learnt ages ago to drop the elbows,, i force my elbows inwards whilst climbing and its just a natural thing to do now and also -sit as forward as you can on the saddle, sometimes if i think im almost not going to make the crux of the climb i lean my body forward abit too… 😉
    hope this helps :mrgreen:

elaineanne
    Free Member

philconsequence :lol:….its illegal to change gear uphill where you live (lol)…only fools change gear uphill (snap)(chain) 😉

gears_suck
    Free Member

philconsequence :lol:….its illegal to change gear uphill where you live (lol)…only fools change gear uphill (snap)(chain)

Yeah. If you have no idea how to change gear properly! A tiny let off to take the tension off the chain for just enough time to shift then back on the power. Sure, if you just keep mashing away and try to do it, you’ll def break something.

tazzymtb

out of the saddle and pull on a big wide set of bars and barends using maighty guns whilst gurning like a good ‘un and secretly wishing I had a gear dangler on the bike.

Blower
    Free Member

dont climb just push its the way forward,

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I much prefer to stand up both on my singlespeed and full suss when doing steep climbs it feels much easier to me. I’m not sure why but I think it’s because I have freakishly long legs that I can’t get the most out of when seated. I also find that when I’m standing I can get my weight exactly where I want it for perfect balance and grip.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is that a Belgian?.

If you want to learn how to climb, come and watch me.

Then give up riding MTBs as you realise you will never ever be anywhere near as good. 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

Elbows down, thumbs on the top of the grips

wheelie

Keep your upper body low and forward. If you support all your upper body weight with your stomach (core muscles) you will climb like a demon!The weight on your hands should be as light as if playing the piano

downshep

Bike setup helps. I’m rubbish at descending ‘cos my bikes have bars lower than saddle but climbing feels natural on them.

Rest hands on top of grips, drop chest towards stem, slide arse forward until perineum is ‘on the rivet’. Pedal smoothly, lifting too if clipped in. Stay in as high a gear as you can sustain. Only pull on the bars if elbows are down and in towards the knees.

Can look like Stephen Hawking playing Twister but it works.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘how do you do steep climbs (offroad ;-)’ is closed to new replies.