• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by M6TTF.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How do you clean your camelbak bladder.
  • ricky1
    Free Member

Went into the outdoor shop today, call me a skivvy but £13.00 for camelbaks cleaning tabs,I usually just rinse it out and absorb most of the remaining moisture with kitchen roll and hang it to dry,anyone else to skivvy to buy the cleaning tabs,come on own up……….!

scotroutes

You can buy cheaper cleaning tablets from Boots.

Jamie
    Free Member

1. Stick it in the freezer.

2. Every now and again use Milton tablets.

russyh
    Free Member

I rinse mine out and then stick in the freezer, no need to worry about any cleaning tab nonsense, drying properly or mould. Simples

rascal
    Free Member

Wash ‘n’ freeze.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Normally stored in the freezer but baby serilising tablets once in a blue mood. Bicarbonate of soda to remove the taste of the cleaning tabs.

bails

Same as Jamie. Freeze the bladder and the tube after between rides. Every few months clean it with a milton tab.

ricky1
    Free Member

Sorted cheers,well I’ll have to explain to mrs Ricky every time she opens the freezer now why it’s in there.

ricky1
    Free Member

So why freeze it then….next question?

matt_outandabout

Same as Jamie here too.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Wash and freeze here too, don’t even need to Milton if you are prompt ie as soon as you get back from rides, however I only ever use electrolyte tablets no sugary stuff.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Oh and the freeze is because most bacteria will not multiply in frozen conditions……….until it thaws of course!

KonaTC

Warm water and Milton fluid, as I drink anything and everything from my bladder orange/blackcurrant squash, energy drinks, etc

langylad
    Free Member

Sometimes freeze, but when i forget, which is most of the time, i swish boiling water around the bladder. First time i did it i was expecting problems but it is still ok

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorted cheers,well I’ll have to explain to mrs Ricky every time she opens the freezer now why it’s in there.

Fairly sure you will only have to explain the first time, and then she’ll remember the subsequent occasions.

JoeG
    Free Member

I clean mine regularly with warm water and dish detergent. About once a year to a year and a half or so! 😯 8) (Yes, really)

I only put water (and ice) in mine. Sometimes during the winter it sits for weeks between uses. And I don’t always dump put the old water, either. I usually just top it off if I need more water. 😳

I haven’t died yet…

scotroutes

I always use only tap water so rarely have any problems (I also keep it in the freezer). However, the twice I’ve had go “furry” on me I had been using bottled (mineral) water. Anyone else spotted this?

chip
    Free Member

Give it a good rinse and hang up to dry.

If I have been lazy and not rinsed It within a couple of days of a ride I will fill it up and add two tablespoons of thick bleach and leave over night before rinsing and drying.

I try to do the bleach thing every month or so anyway.

simon_g

Decathlon do a cheaper cleaning / drying kit with the long narrow brush for the hose and the hanger that keeps it open to dry.

J-R

If it’s got pretty gross a few sessions soaking fully of miltons will do it over a few days.

After that a quick rinse and then a Denture cleaning tab for an hour or so seems to keep it clean. I prefer denture tabs to miltons because I get the impression they are milder, which I prefer if all I want to do is keep the already clean Camelbak staying clean.

smatkins1
    Free Member

😳 I keep mine by the radiator by the back door. Just refill it before each ride, haven’t cleaned it in the last year. Sometimes I just top up the water from the last ride. 😳

No sign of mould though, everything still a nice translucent bright blue 😆

johnhe

Milton for me.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Leave in the garage week to week, with dregs of high5 in. Remember just before I’m going out the next time. Chuck boiling water through it. Been fine. Maybe I just have a cast iron stomach

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How do you clean your camelbak bladder.’ is closed to new replies.