• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jond.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How do you buy gloves online when they size them s,m,l,???
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

define a medium or large sized hand? you need to try them on surely?

chakaping
    Free Member

Sealskinz have a sheet of paper that you print out and wrap round your hand.

Works very well.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Bit of a lottery – I'm L for some and M for others and even XL at times, even though I usually buy the same make (661). Sizing is all over the place!

nuke

you need to try them on surely?

Yep. One of those items where going and buying from your LBS makes sense. I was in a cycle shop the other day and tried on various makes of glove; a good fit varied from small, medium and large depending on the make.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

fox have a size guide online somewhere, comparing S/M/L to regular gloves sizes (from memory you measure across the widest bit of your hand and that in cm is your regular glove size. I'm a 8.5 in normal gloves and wear medium Fox gloves). Have you used/worn certain brands before to know what fits?

edit; http://www.stif.co.uk/gear/pop_up.asp?id=4046

Speaking of which, Fox gloves have deteriorated significantly in build quality in recent years. My first pair of Sidewinders, now maybe 8 years old, are still going strong as fingerless (I ripped finger ends), with the rest of the glove in perfect condition. My second pair lasted a few years, and my third pair have started shedding rubber armour after a few rides. On the old ones the important stuff was sewn on, now its flimsy and glued on. With water-soluble glue by the looks of it. Always bought mine as old stock half price from Stif, leisure lakes (so 15quid a pair) would be fuming if I'd paid 30quid for em.

aracer
    Free Member

Three options:
    A: Buy them and send them back if they're wrong (could buy multiple pairs and just send back the wrong ones).
    B: Go into your LBS and try on before buying mail order.
    C: Go into your LBS and try on then buy them there.

I have a similar issue with trying to buy some shoes (IME cycling shoe sizing is inconsistent). Would love to buy in my LishBS, but they don't stock my size – and appear to have a policy of not doing so. It seems my only option is A, which is a bit of a pain with the cost of posting shoes.

higgo
    Free Member

Three options:
    A: Buy them and send them back if they're wrong (could buy multiple pairs and just send back the wrong ones).
    B: Go into your LBS and try on before buying mail order.
    C: Go into your LBS and try on then buy them there.

Two options then.
    As option B is the action of a toad.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Shoes, gloves and helmets – all things I prefer to actually 'try on' before buying.
    I use local Ev@ns, and if they're close to onilne price (or will price match) they get the sale, if not at least I know my size….

stumpy01

agree with hilldodger – I was going to say the same. Helmets, gloves & shoes are difficult to buy online. I bought some Troy Lee gloves & the medium (which is fine for Specialized) was absolutely huge on me.

In fact, saying the above…..I would be pretty confident that medium Specialized gloves will fit me, having tried quite a lot on & always finding medium to be the right size. So I guess if you have experience of a manufacturers sizes, then perhaps you can buy their brand without issue.

nicko74

Doesn't help that different manufacturers have different sizing – 661's tend to come up a size small, while Troy Lee is normal size but with quite narrow fingers.
    I'm not entirely sure that there's an answer, but in general I'm medium at everything, really. 🙂

jond
    Free Member

>Speaking of which, Fox gloves

I had a pair from around then, weren't exactly neoprene but certainly none of the pseudo-leather nonsense that's available now.
    Sadly they disappeared when some scrote broke into my car (in the company carpark !) whilst there was a bike in the back.
    I've still got the Sidewinders I bought sometime after that (seemed to have lasted 'cos they haven't seen that much use over the last 4 years), and they're the stitched versions – extra palm layer has worn through on one. As to what I'll get next that won't fall apart I dunno…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How do you buy gloves online when they size them s,m,l,???’ is closed to new replies.