Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How do you align avid elixir disk brakes?
  • gaberin
    Free Member

Firstly, when trying to put the wheel on the bike, it is a struggle to get the rotor in between the calliper. How do I align the calliper?
    Just bought these brakes off here, should I get a bike shop to fit them as I really struggle with hydraulic disk brakes..

Tiger6791

Make sure the pistons are full retracted.

Slide pads in

Slide to bits of thin card between the dics and the pads (I use business cards)

Loosely tighten the dome movey nut things

Pull brake to centre and then tighten fully

Remove card.

(They should be easy so if your finding they are not best let a proper mechanic take a look)

gaberin
    Free Member

How do I get the pistons fully retracted?

Cheers

Tiger6791

Take the pads out and push them back in to the calliper.

I use a plastic wood floor spacer but anything plastic and softer than the metal should work (bit of wood?)

gaberin
    Free Member

I do have the bleed blocks, which have been in the brake calliper for a while, should that push it out enough?

gaberin
    Free Member

The “e” clip has just snapped, anyone know of this matters, I think I may leave it now and get a bike shop to do it . 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I binned the e-clips and just put a bit of threadlock on it to be sure, lasted a few weeks without threadlock so shoukd be fine anyway.

takisawa2

I lost the pin from mine after the E clip fell out. Now has a bolt in there, with a small nyloc nut.

Scamper
    Free Member

You’ll get a new e clip with the next new pads.

The discs may rub for a bit, but they should settle down.

anto164
    Free Member

By the way, don’t just rely on the pin itself.

I snapped the c or e clip (whatever it’s called) and a few weeks later i was shooting down a bit of singletrack, went to slam on the brakes as i was going faster than normal and there was a sharp hairpin coming up.

Pull the brakes.. No brakes. I end up not turning, and letting go of the bike and reaching for a tree as the bike rolled down the bank which was the other side of the corner.

Pin had worked loose and pads had fallen out. Not good. Lesson learned, keep the clip on the end of the pad pin.

gaberin
    Free Member

Do you know where I can get one these pins from?
    Also thanks for the help, I had a break and now I have figured it out.
    😀 Thank You Tiger

specializedneeds

What’s the idea behind using business cards when centring?

gaberin
    Free Member

I presume to keep a gap between the pads and the rotor, it wouldn’t fit for me but it may work.

Superficial
    Free Member

Sometimes you’ll get a rotor / wheel / frame (or fork) combination that just doesn’t want to play properly and some people have ended up spacing their rotor half a mm or so outwards. Just a thought.

steveh

I always find the just pull the lever on and then tighten the bolts up method to be pretty useless. Much better is to loosen bolts spin the wheel, brake a couple of times, spin wheel again and then tighten while it spins (watch your hands). I’ve always found this leads to far less drag and more equal set up.

gaberin
    Free Member

Infact, after succeeding with the front one, the rear doesn’t want to stop rubbing. I have tried to align it by loosening the bolts, applying the brake and then tightening them, and also doing it by hand. Tiger, I can’t fit business cards in between the rotor and the pads.
    Anyone know anything else I can do to align the calliper and stop this rubbing?
    The rotor can not be bent as I only got them out the packet today.

Cheers

gaberin
    Free Member

Now done the spin the wheel method as well but still no luck..

motorman
    Free Member

Take it out for a spin & get the brakes smoking hot before you fanny about any more, you might just be surprised 😉

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Take it to a bike shop .

argoose
    Free Member

With the e clip pin thing I’ve brought a packet of 3mm split pins from halfords . Work great change them when you change pads. JObs a good un

gaberin
    Free Member

I will take it out for a spin, as soon as i get the gears sorted on the bike.
    🙂

nosedive
    Free Member

are these CR ones? (think I just saw your name on another post?) If so you have a bit of adjustment on the how close the pad is to the disc on the barrel adjustester on the lever body just before the hose.

So my advice would be to try and line it up as best as possible by eye (be gentle when you tighten the caliper bolts or you pull it out of alignment) then try and retract the pad with the barrel adjuster a little if you still get rub. If that fails go for a ride and use them a bit, then repeat.

willber
    Free Member

Heres what I do

Fit caliper and leave the bolts slightly loose – 1/2 a turn
    Spin wheel FORWARDS and apply brake
    Release brake and spin wheel – This time gently apply the brake until the pads just start to touch the disc. Now brake slightly more and hold the wheel and pull it so your pulling it against the power of the brakes – you should hear the disc rubbing against the pads – i.e. quite a bit of effort and friction but wheel should move a bit at a time. (Obviousley you cant have the brake fully squeezed or the wheel wont turn). Next press the brake fullt and try to rotate the whhel forwards, it wont wont cos the brakes on but it will apply pressure to the calpier – keep the forward rotational pressure on the wheel, the lever pressed in and at the same time tighten the two bolts – a tiny bit at a time, swaping from one to the other until they are tight. Release wheel and brake. Take bike out – go down the road get up to speed then break hard. Repeat about 10 – 15 times.

skywalker
    Free Member

WTF are you doing Willber? 😆

Push the pistons in carefully with a ring spanner or something thats not going to kill them.

Put the wheel in.

Loosen the bolts enough so the caliper moves freely.

Pump the brake and hold it on.

Do up bolts and thats it.

If it didn’t work, repeat the last 3 steps until it does.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How do you align avid elixir disk brakes?’ is closed to new replies.