Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • how do you adjust gears sram x7 10 spd?
  • racefaceec90

have been messing about with my barrel adjusters and messed up the rear shifting (one of the clicks does nothing now when changing the shifter (if that makes any sense?)

how do i go about restoring what i have messed up?

will be visiting the bike shop tomorrow,but wanted to try and sort it out myself first.

ta 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you’re missing a ‘click’ sounds like you’ve detensioned the cable too far.

Click the small button a few times until the rear mech is at the bottom sprocket and pedal the bike, the chain should land on the bottom cog (11t)

Shift up one gear with the shifter and pedal the bike, does the chain move up a sprocket? if not, turn the barrel adjuster counter-clockwise to add tension to the cable, keep peddling and adding tension until the chain moves up one sprocket.

try the shifter another gear up, does the chain move up 1 sprocket cleanly? if hesitant, add a bit more tension, if it overshoots or rattles, decrease tension (barrel adjuster clockwise)

Keep this up for the rest of the cassette, once at the top shift down 1 sprocket at a time observing what’s happening, if the chain overshoots any cogs on the way down add some tension (anti-clockwise), if it fails to shift, decrease tension (clockwise)

That should get you in the ball park unless you’ve been messing with the set screws.

racefaceec90

cheers blazin-saddle. have not messed with any of the screws 😉

i de tentioned the cable then tightened by one click until it started to go up one cog (from highest gear)

the problem is that it goes up the cluster (high to low gear) fine,but when i try and shift lowest to highest gear again it goes to the 9th gear but misses 8th gear (goes to 7th after 2 clicks of shifter).it goes to all the rest though (needing fine adjustment though).

have tried clicking barrel adjuster 1/4 turn either way but the problem still happens not shifting into 8th (missing it)?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Could be time for a cable change? inner and outer as Sram is quite picky for cleanish cables.

racefaceec90

ah you’re probably right tbh.had my charge duster since 2011 and not yet had a proper service 😳

am going to be upgrading on the bike as funds allow (hopefully ending with either a soul 26″ frame or on one 456 ti evo 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Does sound like new cable time. How long has it been on there?

racefaceec90

ah since 2011 😆 (just like everything else bar a new bar/stem).

just went for a quick ride to check them and i can get them to shift in every gear,but it needs some fine tuning (as 1/4 turn doesn’t really do much).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘how do you adjust gears sram x7 10 spd?’ is closed to new replies.