Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • How do "we" "know" how old the universe is?
  • binners

hilldodger
    Free Member

binners – Member

..and a bit

sslowpace
    Free Member

Meaning of life/how the universe works/where did we come from/how did it all start – same question

“It’s a lot like life, Mark” Rabbi Lionel Blair

derek_starship
    Free Member

The universe is just a distressed wardrobe with a pair of BFO stone washed jeans in it and a big box of Lego on top of it.

I have a theory.

But I really can’t be arsed.

DrJ

Of course that doesn’t mean that god created a brand new sparkly, straight out of the box universe then. He might of made a pre-aged one to spice things up a bit.

Or maybe he used a second-hand universe and just added a lick of paint. That would explain how he managed to get it all finished in 6 days.

molgrips
    Free Member

Imagine an alien drops a package on earth with a load of fancy technology in it.

We can sit down and figure out how it all works, without wondering why the alien dropped it on us, can’t we?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve seen Mars Attacks, I’m not falling for that ruse.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Jesus H Christ – Synopsis? Consensus? Stabs in the dark?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I suspect the universe is 50 years old. It only exists in relation to me and that is when I created it 50 years ago at the time of my apparent “birth”

You are all figments of my imagination., without me you have no existence.

molgrips
    Free Member

You are Zaphod Beeblebrox AICMFP

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve heard one theory that in the first few microseconds or so of the big bang, time had to be either elastic or the speed of light had to increase slightly. This, along with things like particle wave duality and 11 dimensional objects, caused me to drop physics. I just don’t think we, as humans, are capable of truly understanding this stuff in any meaningful way. I still love physics, but I love maths more.

The grains of sand on a beach may be infinite as are the grains of sand in the world. However we still know which is the larger of the two infinities.

Sorry JY, but this is the worst analogy ever. The grains of sand on a beach are not infinite, nor will they ever be.

molgrips
    Free Member

Realman – you don’t have to assimilate that stuff with the every day world. There’s just no need. So don’t sweat it, and don’t drop Physics kids 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘How do "we" "know" how old the universe is?’ is closed to new replies.