Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • How do they Destroy horses at the races?
  • toys19
    Free Member

The issue with why they puit them down is that its too expensive to fix them, they ahve to be kept off the foot for ages, which is difficult and expensive, so most owners opt to destroy. Interestingly the repair and rehab of broken legs has almost all been devloped with racing money..

hexhamstu
    Free Member

So be bored in a sling for a month or be dead? How is that more humane?

I’m no bleeding heart animal rights activist, I get that it is probably more economical to “destroy” the horse than pay for a lot of treatment for an animal who’s useful life has just expired. But let’s not just dress it up as being more humane eh?

It’s nothing to do with being bored. If you have had to stable a horse for a week you will see how mad they go. With no way to use energy they go stir crazy. No matter what you feed them and also as I said HORSES ARE FLIGHT ANIMALS. If you tie it up it will go mental and if it goes mental it’s leg isn’t going to set correctly.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Cyberponies will inherit the Earth. This pony is halfway through conversion, next step are the lasers and head-mounted chaingun.

toys19
    Free Member

If you tie it up it will go mental and if it goes mental it’s leg isn’t going to set correctly.

It can be done, it just costs N.

cynic-al
    Free Member

in some less developed countries I’ve heard that they sit them in front of STW and bore them to death..
    cruel and unnecessary (IMO)

LOL there, nice one drunki.

chiefgrooveguru

So be bored in a sling for a month or be dead? How is that more humane?

Because it has absolutely no idea why it’s being tortured by being suspended in mid-air. Of course if you can find a way of explaining to the horse what’s going on, so it can an enjoy a month or two of sheer relaxed boredom instead of a month or two of confusion, panic and abject terror, then I’m sure vets would be thrilled to hear!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seems the whole industry has no problem using “fear” to get them to race.

El-bent
    Free Member

Not trolling here… but why do they have to be killed?

Because they can’t make you money anymore. Cynical? Me?

toys19
    Free Member

Because they can’t make you money anymore. Cynical? Me?

Or they cost too much money. It’s not cynicism, it’s a reality good or bad.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Because it has absolutely no idea why it’s being tortured by being suspended in mid-air. Of course if you can find a way of explaining to the horse what’s going on, so it can an enjoy a month or two of sheer relaxed boredom instead of a month or two of confusion, panic and abject terror, then I’m sure vets would be thrilled to hear!

Like the abject terror and panic of having a saddle and rider on their back for the first time? But they get used to it. As if they are going to be panicked and frantic for two months straight, what a load of crap.

toys19
    Free Member

Stuey01 – Member

Like the abject terror and panic of having a saddle and rider on their back for the first time? But they get used to it. As if they are going to be panicked and frantic for two months straight, what a load of crap.

I really think this is moot and quite a pointless discussion. Horses can have their legs fixed, they are put down because its costly, although some rich owners do pay to fix them, others don’t.

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

It’s not just horses.
    Gymnast Shawn Johnson Put To Sleep After Breaking Leg

Very funny.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I really think this is moot and quite a pointless discussion. Horses can have their legs fixed, they are put down because its costly, although some rich owners do pay to fix them, others don’t.

agreed.

chiefgrooveguru

Seems the whole industry has no problem using “fear” to get them to race.

They race anyway, whether you want them to or not! If you think an 8 stone jockey can force an 80 stone horse to do anything then you’re very much mistaken. Much of a jockey’s job is holding the horse back so it lasts the race.

fisha
    Free Member

Not trolling here… but why do they have to be killed?

Some breakages can be fixed, yes, but others not. Plus its not always a broken bone, the tendons are a common thing to snap/tear aswell.

One of ours half tore a tendon on its front hoof. 8 weeks of box rest, gentle walking out every day in hand rain hail of shine, injections etc etc etc … no cost spared. After the 8 weeks, it went back outside. 3 days later it can in hobbling … had torn it again cause it was running around like a hooligan ( he was like that ). Was put down the following morning. Somethings just cant be fixed and its simply crueller to keep them going.

Generally, the front legs take about 2/3 of the weight, so any weakness in the front will be shown up quickly.

Looking back, I’ve always said that if we were faced with the same situation, I would have the horse put down at the start ( if the prognosis was not good ). Its not fair to keep them in the stable, and whilst mine behaved, I didn’t half feel sorry for him every time I walked away and he just stood there , head down, depressed. In such cases, its about quality of life, and not preservation at life at the expense of quality of life.

M6TTF
    Free Member

It would just be chum if there were no pedigree race horses to make it from.

made my day 🙂

oddjob
    Free Member

I’m reminded of the scene in animal house with the chainsaw.

Can’t find it on youtube though

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘How do they Destroy horses at the races?’ is closed to new replies.