Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How do Marzocchi qr 20mm axles function? Can threads in fork be stripped?
  • Swirly
    Free Member

How do Marzocchi qr 20mm axles function? Can threads in fork be stripped?

I’ve just tried Googling the answer to no avail.

I am considering my options for some new forks. Being slightly obsessed by products being repairable, I don’t like the idea of not being able to replace the thread insert should I be a bit ham fisted.

Are other quick release 20mm fork axles, such as Fox, Rockshox, Manitou similar in design?

Cheers! :o)

STATO
    Free Member

I would be less worried about the axle and more about the fact that all forks are post mount now so if your ham fisted you’ll strip the threads in those. But then you could worry about stripping threads in brake levers, stems falling off etc. so if your the paranoid sort, go hide in a cupboard ;0)

Swirly
    Free Member

Thanks for reply…yeah don’t like those post mounts for that reason!

I have repaired threads in stems etc before with Helicoil type inserts however forks axles are likely to have strange thread sizes.

Also forks are a pricey component to replace!

I’ll go and hide in the cupboard then… :0(

RustyNissanPrairie

use an engineers stud – loctited in and then nyloks nuts to hold the caliper adapter in place.
    The studs stay loctited in the forks – remove the nuts to remove caliper.
    I always do this with new forks.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

My 2010 RC3s have a steel insert in the dropout that the axle screws into which even looks like a heli coil.

Not something I’ve ever worried about, but a mate who is very mechanically minded recently had the threads in his Fox forks strip/fail, new lowers etc were 300 quid.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have a set of marazochis with 20mm axle, the thread pitch and size is that course you’d be had set to even set it off cross threaded. It’s also quite nice in that it is simple with no lever or cam for grit and grime to get into or fall to bits.

Olly
    Free Member

My 55s are a plain alloy surface on both sides, with a thin steel thread on the outermost edge of the LHS leg. If you mange to cross thread or damage a steel thread, having threaded it through two inches of snug fitting alloy, youve done well.

RE post mounts, i tend to loctite the adaptor on and then never take it off. If i need to remove the brake i take the caliper off the adaptor and leave the adaptor in place.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

yeah not sure how you’d cross thread it when the axle’s gone all the way through a hub, it can only hit the dropout square. And the steel insert should make over tightening to the point of stripping it all but impossible.

Liking Rusty’s idea for brake mounts, though.

Swirly
    Free Member

Thanks all for the replies.

Wise thoughts as usual!

Sounds like I need not be concerned.

Yes I’ve heard of repairing stripped post mounts using stud but putting stud in anyway is a good idea along with Nyloks.

Cheers! :0)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How do Marzocchi qr 20mm axles function? Can threads in fork be stripped?’ is closed to new replies.