Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • How do I stop our puppy eating his own poo?
  • wwaswas

1) Rubbing his face in it doesn’t feel like it’s sending the right message.

2) No I don’t let him lick my face anymore.

I work at home and he’s free to go in and out of the patio doors of the room I work in. I’ve started going our for a check of the lawn every half hour or so but it’s not that successful.

I don’t want to restrict access to the garden if I can because he likes being out there and it stops us both getting cranky as he lets off steam rather than sitting in a chair all day.

He’s nearly 5 months old and it’s mostly a recent thing (he used to try and eat poos he did indoors for a while but he’s now house trained.)

The villain of the piece:

Stoner
    Free Member

dont feed him lamb leftovers. makes the poo taste nice. apparently. I havent checked.

orangespyderman

As the alpha in the pack, he should be trained to give you the opportunity to eat it first. There’s only one thing to do..

woody2000

They eat it because their diet is poor (according to the interwebs). Need more Vit B apparently….

wilko1999
    Free Member

Our whippet did this as a puppy and then grew out of it by the time she was two. She is now 6 and has started doing it again. Every morning. She is straight out into the garden for a dump first thing in the morning, turns round and gobbles it up while it’s still steaming.

fionap

Get him checked out at the vets, might be an enzyme deficiency or something underlying it rather than simply being a behaviour thing. You could also try raw food – everything is digested and what comes out is basically as inedible as an owl pellet! Even the flies aren’t interested.

TimP
    Free Member

I agree with Orangespyderman, you need to get in there first and eat it, then there will be nothing left for him to eat – simple!!

woody2000

gobbles it up while it’s still steaming.

Nom nom nom!

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Feed him enough.. I don’t mean supermarket grade kibble?
    Viszlas are mental (100% of the 3 viszlas I know are anyway), so this may be the the first of many interesting behaviours.

allthepies
    Free Member

Get in there first.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Assuming he’s otherwise normal and this is a behavioural problem, there is a product of the market called Copro-nil, given orally it makes his faeces taste less pleasant and he’ll stop doing it. Do it for long enough, a few months, and hopefully he’ll be out of the habit. Its not prescription, so you can get it online or your vets.

If he’s starving hungry, underweight, undersized then he would need a blood test to check things like his pancreatic enzyme production, small intestinal absorption etc. If he’s otherwise fit and strong, try copro-nil first. It has a b1 supplement in it, but generally a few dogs stop doing it with a vitamin supplement also, though they should get what they need in normal dog food. As he gets older, they do less of this sort of thing. Some do it if they’ve been confined in a small pen for rehoming along time too.

Other optins are a cage muzzle, but people will think you have n aggressive dog. If you need to wash his mouth, a dog mouthwash called Hexarinse is available to kill bacteria. Again its not prescription.

Dont rub his face in it, he will just think your encouraging him to eat it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Try a different food. Apparently it’s the artificial flavourings they use in some dog fud.

johndoh
    Free Member

Our puppy doesn’t eat her own poo but she happily eats sheep shit.

And tin foil (she sometimes gets glitter poos).

And sticks.

And flowers.

And…

skids
    Free Member

I don’t think there is anything you can do if he takes dumps unsupervised, my dog will still eat certain turds given the chance

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t think there is anything you can do if he takes dumps unsupervised

I guess that’s the main thing isn’t it – take him out and encourage him to go to the toilet whilst you supervise him. At that age he should only be crapping a couple of times a day so go back to what you were doing when house training him and take him out in a morning, after meals etc and clean up after him then there won’t be any crap to eat.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ours used to eat her own shit.
    Then, after about 3 months she just stopped doing it.
    She’s never done it since.
    It’s quite common in puppies apparently.. 😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tabasco sauce. Supervise him taking a dump and cover it in Tabasco sauce. He’ll not eat it then. This is the advice I was given for my gsd.

It’s also how I found out that he loved Tabasco sauce.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sprinkle it with really strong chilli sauce.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Dam! Onzadog got there just before me!

DezB
    Free Member

Mine used to do it. I thought her that the command “No” means don’t do something. Eating shit? “No”. Stops eating shit. Magic!

Lazgoat
    Free Member

A friends 7yr olf lab does this and 3.5 years into rescuing him they’ve given up trying to stop him.

A trainer I spoke to said it could be because as a very young puppy they copied the mum cleaning up after the litter. Or they got told off for poo’ing somewhere and so to get rid of it, started to eat it so as not to get told off.

kudos100
    Free Member

Anyone who lets their dog lick their face is a wrong’un, regardless of the dog eating it’s own shit.

Why not just get right up in the dogs arsehole and give that a lick instead?

Xylene
    Free Member

^ if you got found out you would become the legend of that boy at school who had sex with his family pet.

wwaswas

Eating shit? “No”. Stops eating shit. Magic!

It’s catching him at it to be able to say No that’s the problem.

He just comes bouncing in the room like the cat that’s got the cream dog that’s eaten his own shit and licks my hand and then I know. I’m reproachful but he’s not necessarily linking me going ‘you dirty shit eating bastard’ with what he just did in the garden.

I’ll try the Copro-nil, thanks milfordvet.

He’s generally healthy and eats Barking Heads food which is supposed to be a bit less cereal based than a lot of kibble stuff.

spawnofyorkshire

^ if you got found out you would become the legend of that boy at school who had sex with his family pet.

Police buddy of mine has TWO separate bestiality arrests in his ledger. He’s quite proud

moonwrasse
    Free Member

Add some fresh pineapple to their food. They won’t like the taste of their turds then.

wwaswas

Police buddy of mine has TWO separate bestiality arrests in his ledger. He’s quite proud

Is it three strikes and you’re out in the police now, for bestiality?

Twodogs

I’m reproachful but he’s not necessarily linking me going ‘you dirty shit eating bastard’ with what he just did in the garden

not necessarily linking….I think you need to learn a bit more about training a dog….maybe make more effort to follow him into the garden…it can’t be that difficult!

Xylene
    Free Member

t

can’t be that difficult

Probably make you gag the first mouthful

wwaswas

maybe make more effort to follow him into the garden…it can’t be that difficult

It is when he’s out there for an hour and I’m supposed to be working 🙂

Twodogs

But most dogs only poo twice a day after eating….can’t you follow him out then? Or don’t give him free access to the garden for a few weeks while you train him not to do it?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have really gone off dogs. If you’re not picking their turds up and carrying them around, you’re trying to teach it not to eat it’s own….

WHY???

Get a rabbit. They eat their own turds but it’s basically hay, so it’s not a problem 🙂

boobs

I have a Vizla and it is 7 1/2 months now, she stopped eventually at around 6 months old. She isn’t mental or particularly hard work at all.
    Hope that helps

wwaswas

Intercepted him just now so today’s issue avoided.

He’s not mental at all. Gets a bit frantic early evenings but I think that’s more a puppy than a Vizsla thing.

Mind you he does consider this ‘hiding’ so he’s clearly got a bit to learn…

woffle
    Free Member

Our Bedlington used to do this as a pup, right when we first got him. Changed his food very quickly (to James Wellbeloved) – though not specifically for that reason – and he’s not done it since. He’s on the wholly grain-free stuff now.

That said, five years in, he still retains an irrepressible appetite for sheep / cow / deer / cat / fox / rabbit sh*te. Walks are treated like a veritable smorgasbord of faecal titbits.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘How do I stop our puppy eating his own poo?’ is closed to new replies.