Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How do I follow some one else's Strava route
  • fooman

I’m trying to follow a Strava route through a forest where the trail isn’t obvious. Switching between Strava and mapping on my phone isn’t helping me follow it. Is it possible to overlay someone else’s route with my GPS location to make sure I don’t go off course?

poisonspider
    Free Member

If you’re a premium member you can download the GPX and upload it into your GPS.

If you don’t have a GPS you can display it on an app like ‘OS Maps’ on the iPhone, which you can navigate by.

jam-bo

Ask them to show you round it? 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

Gets asked fairly regularly.

As poisonspider says if you are a premium member just download the route. If you are a normal user then you need to do a couple of extra steps.

Click on the activity then click on the spanner icon and choose “Create Route”. Strava will announce to the world that you have “created the route Foo Bar XYZ”. This is now one of your own activities so you can click on it and select the spanner icon again and you will have the option “Export GPX”

Now load it on to your unit.

bigdaddy

I’m new to this too – I’ve tried Whitestone’s advice, but my only option on the spanner tab is ‘flag’. Where am I going wrong?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

If you have a garmin, use this (you don’t need to be a premium member either)

http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/vpu/

bigdaddy

But that doesn’t work as it says the system is not supported? I tried the option at the bottom to download the .crs, but that doesn’t work on my garmin edge 800. Mr Confused is me…

whitestone
    Free Member

@bigdaddy The only thing I can think of is that my method works on activities of people you are following not for those of people you don’t.

bigdaddy

Whitestone – thanks for trying, can’t be bothered to fight it anymore for now, you are probably right – it’s not someone I follow. Maybe I will have to ask!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

if the ride starts within the users privacy zone, i don’t think its available as a GPX download

that or the other user needs to be a premium user too

fooman

Not a premium member & I don’t have a Garmin, I’m using trial and error at the moment and reviewing when I’m home. It would probably be enough if I could manually enter a line into Google Maps to follow with GPS, but even this is causing me some head scratching on how to achieve.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How do I follow some one else's Strava route’ is closed to new replies.