Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How do I fit a Blackspire Stinger chain tensioner and which model do I need?
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Ok I know this is a piece of cake for those who have done it but the truth is I can’t make out how it fits on from the picture on CRC?
    I have an XT crankset with 22/32 rings and a bash guard so which one do I need as there are 4 different models on the CRC website?

Cheers dumbass Stu 🙁

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Do you have ISCG tabs on the frame (three threaded tabs on the outside of the bottom bracket shell)?

If not, you need the botom bracket mounted one.

MrAgreeable

Simple. Remove cranks, take out drive side BB cup, remove one of the spacers, replace with the chain guide backplate.

Put the BB cup back in again – if you have more than one spacer, the Stinger goes nearest the frame.

As you tighten the BB cup move the backplate round so that the bottom of the arm is in line with the bottom of your bash guard (bit of trial and error involved here).

Pop the cranks and chain back on and bolt on the roller so it’s below the chain and as near to the edge of your bashguard as possible without touching it. Don’t over-tighten the roller as it has a bearing inside – if you’re worried about losing it use some threadlock.

If you don’t have a HT11 bottom bracket, or if the above gibber leaves you scratching your head, have a look here:

http://www.blackspire.com/site_assets/www.blackspire.com/images/dynamic/Stinger_Setup_guide.pdf

richc
    Free Member

anyone know where you can get spare rollers for these?

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thanks mragreeable and rockthreegozy most helpful and very clear 🙂

Cheers guys 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Can you run one of these with just a single ring/no bashguard though?

zigzag69
    Free Member

hora – yes you can, I used one of these as a tensioner on my SS bike.

richc – CRC do replacement rollers.

hora
    Free Member

Ta zigzag- on a 1×9 set up though?

anderwho
    Free Member

I've just removed the front derailleur from my all-mountain bike and fitted a single chainring. I'm now having problems with the chain falling off. Will the stinger keep the chain on without the top guide (the one positioned where the derailleur was)?

I was going to buy an e13 full device but it seems overkill on trails.

Your advice would be appreciated.

dreamer
    Free Member

Contrary to what Mr Agreeable states above, Blackspire say for a 68mm BB to have the one spacer between the frame and the Stinger.

mushrooms
    Free Member

anderwho, your chain will probably still fall off but you can get simple guides that go roughly where the derailleur was.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How do I fit a Blackspire Stinger chain tensioner and which model do I need?’ is closed to new replies.