Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • how do i find what version of windows i'm on?
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

Started a new job this week who’ve given me a new lap top with windows 7. I need to download a driver for my printer and it asks me which version i’m on example 32/64 professional etc etc.

I’m a mac user and not used a windows PC for about three years so it’s moved on a bit for me since I last used one!!

AlasdairMc

Start, Run, type ‘winver’

woody2000

In control panel, then system. It’ll tell you there somewhere. Otherwise, see if there’s a C:\program files (x86) folder – if there is, you’ve got 64 bit. I almost guarantee it’s 64 bit Mick 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Not sure about 7 but on xp its under help/about windows in windows explorer

Cougar

I need to download a driver for my printer

Really? What printer do you have?

donald
    Free Member

Start, right-click on ‘Computer’, select ‘Properties’

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Really? What printer do you have?

are you suggesting I could just plug it in and win7 would have a driver installed?

HP C4580 all in one wireless printer

warton
    Free Member

windows 7 should have a driver

Cougar

Yup.

That driver should be pulled over Windows Update; you don’t need a standalone driver so long as you’re on t’internet when you plug it in. That said, you’ll lose a couple of features over the HP driver (things like ink level monitoring). There’s a document about this on HP’s website, hold the line please caller.

Cougar

Here.

mboy
    Free Member

Right click on My computer and select “about this computer”… Will then tell you all you need to know, processor speed, RAM installed, your windows 7 experience score, but also which version of Windows is installed.

99% sure it’ll be 64bit now though.

aracer
    Free Member

99% sure it’ll be 64bit now though.

Given the lack of advantage to a 64 bit install for a lot of computers and users I’d expect rather more than 1% to be using 32.

As suggested above, you should already have a driver though – I have a “C4500 series” driver on mine which will presumably do the job.

mboy
    Free Member

Given the lack of advantage to a 64 bit install for a lot of computers and users I’d expect rather more than 1% to be using 32.

Started a new job this week who’ve given me a new lap top with windows 7. I need to download a driver for my printer and it asks me which version i’m on example 32/64 professional etc etc.

I read it as he’s been given a brand new laptop aracer… In which case, don’t think I’ve seen a new one for sale with a 32 bit OS on it for 6 months at least, if not a year now, hence my comment.

Cougar

So there you have it. Thirty-seven different ways of doing the same thing.

(-:

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar, mission accomplished 😀

Cougar

Huzzah.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘how do i find what version of windows i'm on?’ is closed to new replies.